Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
No - code for "you'll never learn anything if you refuse to try."
You seem to be implying that because I believe God is the source of everything, I am not learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
It is called Biology and EVOLUTION. We Evolved to what we are, which is also the reason, sometimes it goes wacky and some a born without the sense of right or wrong, or worse they prefer the wrong. Nothing Poof, no magic man waving his wand in the sand, it took millions and millions if not billions of years or trial and errors. If it was given to us by god, he has quite a few boos boos to explain.
You may not accept this as Viable, TO YOU, but that is the way it is, you choose to ignore, fine, not my problem.
Wouldn't this (bolded) imply that original man was devoid of goodness?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Here's some self examination for those whom believe the only way to objective morality is through god. If god is the only source of objective morals then morals in actuality, become arbitrary. For example, what if god changes his mind and says murder and rape are good(according to the bible those are moral). The person making this claim doesn't actually have any objective moral basis. They should do some self examination of their own moral framework. This is actually an example of the OP's topic. The believers that make this claim won't look at how depraved their 'moral basis' actually is. Instead they'll just continue to spout ignorant lies and pretend to be morally superior to the rest of us whom have a solid framework based on reason and integrity rather than the whims of a deity. Mind you there are many believers whom don't possess this arrogant sanctimonious hypocritical mentality, although I think we know of at least one on this board whom does this. I find it rather ironic that such people, on and off the board are so inclined to make themselves feel morally superior by trying to make people believe everyone else is self serving, evil, hedonistic and have no moral framework, but the same people making those claims are the most immoral out of anyone else. They're the ones whom need to self examine themselves more than anyone else.
Scripture passage, please.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
The One Thing Christians Will Not Do!

Think rationally about the nature of religion???
Why don't you say what you mean, which is, "No rational person can also be Christian."

Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You seem to be implying that because I believe God is the source of everything, I am not learned.
That is not what I have been implying at all. I suggest you look back through my posts and try to read them again with an open mind and with no bias. What I am implying is that there are people that exist with beliefs and opinions that are different from yours. You keep asking what we believe or what we think - and then you say that our opinions are invalid. I'm not asking you to change your beliefs or opinions. I'm not asking you to accept my beliefs instead of your own. I'm simply offering up my opinions and beliefs because you asked for them. However, all you can do is say that mine are not valid because they are not the same as yours. I told you the story about my best friend to illustrate the fact that even if you do not hold the same opinions as someone else - you can still respect them. You have made no attempt to understand or respect anyone's opinions or beliefs except your own. And in terms of learning - there are many types of learning. The type of learning that I am referring to is learning about how other people view things. Like I said, you don't have to change your beliefs to understand the beliefs of others. But you will never learn anything if you close your mind to every idea but your own.
I am perfectly fine with you believing that God is the source of everything. I can respect that belief. However, you have made it impossible to respect you since you have made it impossible to have a civil, mature discussion with you.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:59 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Scripture passage, please.
Judges 21:10-24
Numbers 31:7-18
Deuteronomy 20:10-14
Deuteronomy:10-14
Judges 5:30
Exodus 5:30
Zechariah 14:1-2

It is also nonsense that this only applies to the OT. According to Matthew 5:17-20, Jesus didn't come to abolish the law, but to fulfill and not one jot or tittle of the law shall pass until heaven and earth disappear.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Jimmiej - I'm sorry if I have hurt your feelings. I'm sorry if I have made you feel bad. I understand your beliefs and I respect them. It has been made clear to me that I have not made this clear. I'm sorry that some people see me as such a bad person. Maybe much of what I have said has been misunderstood. I have always said that we should be able to agree to disagree but that didn't seem okay with you. All I have been trying to do is to get you to see that other people have other opinions - and just because they aren't the same as yours - does not make them any less valid. I want you to open your mind to respecting others and seeing that we don't all have to agree. That is all I have ever tried to tell you. I'm sorry if I have ever been mean. I think I will be leaving this forum for awhile.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
This question is moot for me, because I would have to build an answer upon mere imagination, which would be no answer at all. believe me, I am trying.
My reason for asking my question is because Jesus and God might not have been what many Christians believe them to have been. I am concerned that if the truth ever came out during my life time, Christians might go wild.

I should start a thread on this very topic, but I haven't figured out just how to word it. All I know is that there is a possible connection between all religions on Earth, human evolution, and the UFO phenomenon. I've researched these topics long and hard, and that is the conclusion I have reached. I also have reason to believe that 2012 is the year that the truth will come out. Check out this recent statement from the Vatican.

YouTube - vatican ufo disclosure soon

Now, here is my question to you again (worded differently). If you ever found out that human looking ETs visiting Earth were the inspiration for a belief in God on Earth, could you still live a "Christian way of life"?

Keep in mind that the bible describes God as a lifeform (an eternal one at that); that created Earth (therefore, he is not from Earth); resides in the kindom of heaven (a place in the sky off of Earth, possibly space); created us in his likeness (he looks human like us), came to the prophets Ezekiel and Elijah in a mysterious flying "chariot of fire" (possibly a UFO), and everyone that obeys his wishes gets "ascended" into heaven to live with him (yet another possible reference to space).

So I ask again, what would this do to Christianity if any of my claims are true? Could Christianity survive such a revelation? This is a "yes" or "no" question BTW.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Wouldn't this (bolded) imply that original man was devoid of goodness?
Original man or woman may have had no understanding of good or bad. We are born with feelings, I dont see what that has to do with a god, it is biology.
You seem to believe that all men were given goodness and the understanding of it by god from the beginning, would make me wonder why then god felt the need to wipe them out with a flood.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I have read through this entire thread and I have to speak up for Jimmie. Dewdrop's opinion of who is learned and who is not learned seems to center around who happens to agree with her theological views.

She also appears to assume--if we can take her words at face value--that those who disagree with her (such as Jimmie) on this question about the origins of morality have "closed minds" and "closed hearts" and are sheltered and unworldly, so to speak. For instance, look at this quip to Jimmie:

Maybe someday you will open your mind and open your heart. A whole new world will open up to you!

In sum, I can understand why Jimmie is frustrated, since I would feel the same way if someone spoke to me in the way Dewdrop has done in the example directly above.

Why can't she just wish him well and say she disagrees with him without criticizing him as closed-minded and narrow?

It seems to me that she is vocally critical of certain theological opinions (namely Jimmies), which undermines her claim that she is a very tolerant individual. It also puts the kabosh on her suggestion that Jimmie should strive to be more open-minded and accepting, since she herself is clearly not open-minded and accepting of all other views. As such, what authority does she have then for saying that Jimmie should be?
It is easy to get frustrated when one ignores your answers because that person doesn't feel they are valid and then inserts his I am right you are wrong comment. I dont blame dewdrop at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality