Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,253,329 times

Advertisements

Are Americans programmed to just agree with religious beliefs? Mainly Christian beliefs? What I am referring to is mostly in status positions such as politics, high management positions, work culture, and yes even the churches. Of course, not in ones private lives or their own mind.

I state this because I doubt we will ever see in the near future a president who is openly atheist, or agnostic, or maybe even muslim. Mitt Romney is a politician that comes to mind. During the 2008 presidential primaries at least a handful of folks admitted to me that if Romney was not a Mormon that they would vote for him. So basically, at least in the USA, Romney's political weakness is being a mormon! Yet, if he was to say that he was a Christian even though he isn't and even though he would be selling his integrity for denying his mormon faith, he would probably have been the Republican rep. for presidency.

It is no different in the corporate world. For example, lets say the CEO of a major MAJOR corporation was to announce that he is an atheist, or a muslim, there is no doubt that the bottom line of that company will suffer. So, if there was such a CEO, he would most likely agree with religious beliefs that he does not agree with just to keep the status quo. If not, it will be all over the media and Christian groups will boycott such corporation. Even many non christians may do so as well. Especially if said CEO was to admit that he is a Muslim. Many will state that Islam is taking over the USA and supporting XX Corporation is supporting the terrorist. In this case, it is almost as if being a Muslim is worse than being an atheist.

It is as if though when it comes to religion and mostly christianity, many christians and non christians do not want to "Rock the boat" and argue or challenge many Christians on their beliefs because there is very little to gain and lots to lose; especially in corporate america and in the work place.

Bottom line, it seems that if someone is in a prominent or influencial position, hinting or challenging anything that has to do with Pro Christianity can and probably will hinder their political or career advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quite the contrary. We're programmed to disagree with anything different from what we believe. Find out what someone believes, and you'll know right away what they don't agree with.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Not only religion...Americans are gullible saps for much more.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
It all comes mostly from upbringing. Parents brainwash their kids with religion from an early age because its much easier then. Try to instill the same beliefs and values when kids are 18-25 and you'll see how many are "programmed" to agree with religious beliefs.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Are Americans programmed to just agree with religious beliefs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Are Americans programmed to just agree with religious beliefs? Mainly Christian beliefs? What I am referring to is mostly in status positions such as politics, high management positions, work culture, and yes even the churches. Of course, not in ones private lives or their own mind.

I state this because I doubt we will ever see in the near future a president who is openly atheist, or agnostic, or maybe even muslim. Mitt Romney is a politician that comes to mind. During the 2008 presidential primaries at least a handful of folks admitted to me that if Romney was not a Mormon that they would vote for him. So basically, at least in the USA, Romney's political weakness is being a mormon! Yet, if he was to say that he was a Christian even though he isn't and even though he would be selling his integrity for denying his mormon faith, he would probably have been the Republican rep. for presidency.

It is no different in the corporate world. For example, lets say the CEO of a major MAJOR corporation was to announce that he is an atheist, or a muslim, there is no doubt that the bottom line of that company will suffer. So, if there was such a CEO, he would most likely agree with religious beliefs that he does not agree with just to keep the status quo. If not, it will be all over the media and Christian groups will boycott such corporation. Even many non christians may do so as well. Especially if said CEO was to admit that he is a Muslim. Many will state that Islam is taking over the USA and supporting XX Corporation is supporting the terrorist. In this case, it is almost as if being a Muslim is worse than being an atheist.

It is as if though when it comes to religion and mostly christianity, many christians and non christians do not want to "Rock the boat" and argue or challenge many Christians on their beliefs because there is very little to gain and lots to lose; especially in corporate america and in the work place.

Bottom line, it seems that if someone is in a prominent or influencial position, hinting or challenging anything that has to do with Pro Christianity can and probably will hinder their political or career advancement.

It seems that many believers are very insecure in their faith. Any viewpoint counter to theirs is a threat to their belief structure.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Parents brainwash their kids with religion from an early age .
"Little Billy is catholic, aren't you Billy?"

"Yes sir, I sure am"

"Is Billy a democrat? A republican?"

"What? Billy is only 7, how is he supposed to know what political beliefs he has?"

Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Little Billy is catholic, aren't you Billy?"

"Yes sir, I sure am"

"Is Billy a democrat? A republican?"

"What? Billy is only 7, how is he supposed to know what political beliefs he has?"
This brings back a memory. In my kindergarten class, during a presidential election season, the teacher set up voting booths in the classroom to conduct a mock election. I believe that the teacher, suspecting that the children would vote as their parents vote, wanted to get a good idea of the political leanings of her student's parents. BTW, it was split down the middle, 7-7. So either that was a reflection of the parents' political persuasions, or we just flipped a coin and voted accordingly. However, I think the teacher was right.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
This brings back a memory. In my kindergarten class, during a presidential election season, the teacher set up voting booths in the classroom to conduct a mock election. I believe that the teacher, suspecting that the children would vote as their parents vote, wanted to get a good idea of the political leanings of her student's parents. BTW, it was split down the middle, 7-7. So either that was a reflection of the parents' political persuasions, or we just flipped a coin and voted accordingly.
I wait until I've heard all the celebrities' opinions before I vote.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wait until I've heard all the celebrities' opinions before I vote.
Too funny. Yeah, they are a huge repository of political wisdom.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 PM

69 posts, read 177,872 times
Quote:
I am now a Libertarian but was a registered Republican during the 2008 primaries. I voted for Mitt Romney in the Florida Primary as I believed he was most qualified and had the best ideas for President. As an Anglican, soon to be Catholic, I had no problem with him being of the Mormon faith. I do not care what religious affiliation a politician claims as long as he does not try to push it on the country.

-Pat Healey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality