Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,058,968 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mr5150;16194969]So Jesus said he was the only way to God (John 14:6). What do you make of that?

This matters how? Christianity isn't the truth. There isn't a truth that condemns all other to a pit of fire.

Jesus might have said it but who knows because it was not written down until well after his death out of the memories.

What Jesus was trying to do was very different then what came out as the Christian Church thanks to Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 PM

35 posts, read 27,468 times
[quote=Jazzymom;16200609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So Jesus said he was the only way to God (John 14:6). What do you make of that?

This matters how? Christianity isn't the truth. There isn't a truth that condemns all other to a pit of fire.

Jesus might have said it but who knows because it was not written down until well after his death out of the memories.

What Jesus was trying to do was very different then what came out as the Christian Church thanks to Paul.
What you don't know about Christianity is a lot.

Can non-Catholics be saved, according to the Roman Catholic Church?

Most of Christianity believe that non-Christians can go to heaven.

As for your statement "Christianity isn't the truth" - I can say that about your religion, whatever it may be. That statement is your opinion.

Finally, how do you know what Jesus was trying to do? Has he told you?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,094,179 times
[quote=Shamrockgower;16202837]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

As for your statement "Christianity isn't the truth" - I can say that about your religion, whatever it may be. That statement is your opinion.

so could cockroaches...if Yahweh let them

Old 10-09-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

I do know about Christianity. My family is Christian. I am not but I do not have the truth, I have what is right for me.

As to Christians and the truth. There seems to be no end to disagreements as to what you all believe or don't believe. Who is a Christian and who is not, etc etc etc.

You ought to head over to the Christianity forum and ask them if non Christians are saved. I imagine quite a few will say the only way is through Jesus. There are other who say in the end all will be saved. There are those who believe a rapture is gonna happen and those who don't so I think the consensus is wide on belief.

But the central belief is that Jesus is G-d incarnate.
One need to be saved and you do that by accepting Jesus.
Which means those who don't have date with Hell.

And I know there is a spectrum within Christianity with the UU at one end fundamentalist and the at the other.

I also was responding to this:

[quote=Mr5150;16194969]So Jesus said he was the only way to God (John 14:6). What do you make of that?

Which is a statement to the fact that Jesus is the only way to G-d.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 PM

[quote=Jazzymom;16203147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockgower View Post

I do know about Christianity. My family is Christian. I am not but I do not have the truth, I have what is right for me.

As to Christians and the truth. There seems to be no end to disagreements as to what you all believe or don't believe. Who is a Christian and who is not, etc etc etc.

You ought to head over to the Christianity forum and ask them if non Christians are saved. I imagine quite a few will say the only way is through Jesus. There are other who say in the end all will be saved. There are those who believe a rapture is gonna happen and those who don't so I think the consensus is wide on belief.
#1- you didn't say Christianity wasn't right for you, you said it wasn't the truth.

#2- "what you all believe"- first of all that statement is insulting. You all? There is much variation with Christianity, I suggest you perform some research. It isn't one religion and referring to it as such in the manner you do is offensive and insulting. I'm sure you probably don't mean for it to cone across that way but it does.

#3- I don't care what loons in the Christianity forum have to say. I don't let the comments of a few nut jobs shape my perspective on millions of people.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 PM

[quote=LuminousTruth;16203136]
Quote:
so could cockroaches...if Yahweh let them
Your implication is a wacky one. Most people within the Christian umbrella believe "good people" go to heaven, not simply those who "Yahweh" lets.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:48 AM

439 posts, read 559,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The "final holy book"? I somehow doubt that. Some believe the Book of Mormon is a holy book. There will probably be more. I for one would be pleased to know that the "final message" has been received, as mankind's childhood ends.

no one is perfect
but God is perfect
and his book is perfect and it has a perfect control.

God closed the door for any one to claim about holy book from God after the Quran, and also closed the door for any one to claim that he is a prophet or some one is a prophet after Prophet Mohammad peace and blessing be upon him .

40 Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets and Allah is ever Aware of all things. Quran 33

Old 10-10-2010, 02:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,250,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
The greatest sin in Islam is equating partners with Allah. In other words, saying Jesus is the Son of God. I find it interesting that the one essential belief of Christianity that one needs to be saved is the greatest sin in Islam. It's almost as if Satan had decided to make up a competing religion on Earth after he saw Christianity spreading.
Too bad your god didn't have enough intelligence to see that before-hand.

Of course, Jesus really serves all the blame here. If he had really died and he had really "risen from the dead" then he should have had the common sense to confront Pilate, the entire 6th Ferrata Legion and 10th Frentenis Legion and the Pharisees, Sadducees and Sanhedrin.

And perhaps he could have hung around a few more days and talked to the masses of people (the real ones -- not his confederates), I mean it wasn't like he really had anything better to do.

Surely you can imagine the shock on Pilate's face or the faces of the Pharisees, right? Oh, I forgot you christians are devoid of imagination.

But then Jesus doesn't do that for the exact same reason that an escaped convict does not go into the court house to taunt the judge, or go hang out at the police station taunting the police.

Jesus never appears before them because he never died.

I suspect the Muslims do not believe Jesus died, because so many people saw him fleeing Judea via Damascus on his way to India (where his brother later fled to and died before reaching Jesus and Mary and Mary and the other Mary and the other other Mary).

Gotta wonder why Jesus the "man of peace" would react so violently to "Saul of Tarsus the Bounty Hunter who later became Paul" and blind him.

The true peaceful Jesus would have simply vanished into thin air, or be clever enough not to be found in the first place.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
#1- you didn't say Christianity wasn't right for you, you said it wasn't the truth.

#2- "what you all believe"- first of all that statement is insulting. You all? There is much variation with Christianity, I suggest you perform some research. It isn't one religion and referring to it as such in the manner you do is offensive and insulting. I'm sure you probably don't mean for it to cone across that way but it does.

#3- I don't care what loons in the Christianity forum have to say. I don't let the comments of a few nut jobs shape my perspective on millions of people.

[quote=Jazzymom;16203147]

Originally Posted by Mr5150
So Jesus said he was the only way to God (John 14:6). What do you make of that?

I said I did not have the truth I have what is right for me.
Christians want to believe they have the truth and I stand by that statement. It has been stated over and over on the Christianity forum and here on the religion/philosophy forum. I believe Christianity is not for me and it is not the truth. I believe there are many ways to G-d. I have never said differently.

Ok you can be insulted. But I am talking about Christians and I have bolded that what I actually said was that the consensus is wide on belief. But when I say you all I am talking about Christians. But I could instead put what Christians believe. Maybe that won't insult you?

Christians ought to care what is being said on the Christianity forum. When non Christians come here and read that stuff it leaves a bad taste. The type of Christianity I see followed in my extended family is not at all like what I read about in the Christianity forum. It is not just a few "loons" as you want to call them. But calling people loons is even more insulting them me saying "you all".

Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 AM

425 posts, read 585,415 times
Such mind-staggering nonsense. The more I dig around in the cat-litter box that is organized religion, the more "nuggets" I find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality