Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,226,142 times

Advertisements

Well said!

finalmessage: All you information about Allah/God and your claim that the Quran is the "final holy book" depends upon what is written inside that very book. Do you not see that as circular logic? Probably not, but you should.

You may as well state that you believe and have faith, and that's all there is to it. There is no point in trying to apply critical thought to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM

35 posts, read 27,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

I said I did not have the truth I have what is right for me.
Christians want to believe they have the truth and I stand by that statement. It has been stated over and over on the Christianity forum and here on the religion/philosophy forum. I believe Christianity is not for me and it is not the truth. I believe there are many ways to G-d. I have never said differently.
All religions believe they have the truth otherwise they would believe in what they thought was the truth. Why would a Catholic stay a Catholic if they thought Islam was the truth?

Quote:
Ok you can be insulted. But I am talking about Christians and I have bolded that what I actually said was that the consensus is wide on belief. But when I say you all I am talking about Christians. But I could instead put what Christians believe. Maybe that won't insult you?
Yes the consensus is wide because Christianity isn't just one religion. To lump all Christians together and make the blanket statements is wrong. Maybe you should stop telling "Christians" what they believe and focus on what you believe?

Quote:
Christians ought to care what is being said on the Christianity forum. When non Christians come here and read that stuff it leaves a bad taste. The type of Christianity I see followed in my extended family is not at all like what I read about in the Christianity forum. It is not just a few "loons" as you want to call them. But calling people loons is even more insulting them me saying "you all".
As I said, I don't care about what people on the fringe of any religion/political spectrum say because their views typically don't represent everyone else. I'm intelligent and open-minded enough to understand that. As for my comments about loons, anyone who thinks people who are unlike them are damned to hell are certainly loons. People who are well grounded do not deal in absolutes. Do you think it's rational to say people who aren't like you are doomed to hell?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:51 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,053,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockgower View Post
All religions believe they have the truth otherwise they would believe in what they thought was the truth. Why would a Catholic stay a Catholic if they thought Islam was the truth?

Yes the consensus is wide because Christianity isn't just one religion. To lump all Christians together and make the blanket statements is wrong. Maybe you should stop telling "Christians" what they believe and focus on what you believe?

As I said, I don't care about what people on the fringe of any religion/political spectrum say because their views typically don't represent everyone else. I'm intelligent and open-minded enough to understand that. As for my comments about loons, anyone who thinks people who are unlike them are damned to hell are certainly loons. People who are well grounded do not deal in absolutes. Do you think it's rational to say people who aren't like you are doomed to hell?
No all religions do not have the truth. There are many paths to G-d. My religion says you do not have to be a part of my religion to follow G-d. Bahai's believe there are many paths and understandings of G-d.

Many religions do not believe you have to join them to follow G-d. Christianity and Islam only see themselves as the true religion of G-d.

It is not a matter of truth, it is a matter of how one follows G-d.

I stand by my statement that Christianity does not have the truth, they just have what they consider to be their truth. They are not the only religion on the planet nor are they the only one to have a belief in G-d.

but it is arrogance to believe that in the whole world you have the only truth and all others are wrong.

Yes it is not rational to say all who don't believe what you believe are doomed but unless you change the theology of Christianity that only through Christ can you be saved will that happen. I don't think it is the lunatic fringe that believes this. Historically the violence caused by Christian theology has been because they saw themselves as right and everyone else as wrong and lost. In the modern world has there been some movement to an understanding that maybe they don't have the only truth. I do not believe those folks are in the majority.

Islam also believes they have the only truth and only Muslims can attain heaven.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Checking your posting history it's obvious you have an anti-Christian agenda. Most of your posts are an attempt to discredit Christianity directly or indirectly through statement about your religion.

I'll close by saying, again, that not all Christians believe those who aren't Christian are going to hell. You are very misinformed if ou think otherwise. When I said all religions believe they have the truth, it's because they think their faith is the way to God. If the jewish religion were fake and a waste of time, why bother with it? And lastly, you like to bring up the violence caused by Christianity(yea because the religion teaches violence, it can't possibley be tht it's warped people using Christianity in a misguided way)... But what about the violence judaism is causing and has caused for hundreds or thousands of years over a piece of land. Oh, but that's G-d's will, right? Puhlease...

Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Checking your posting history it's obvious you have an anti-Christian agenda. Most of your posts are an attempt to discredit Christianity directly or indirectly through statement about your religion.

I'll close by saying, again, that not all Christians believe those who aren't Christian are going to hell. You are very misinformed if ou think otherwise. When I said all religions believe they have the truth, it's because they think their faith is the way to God. If the jewish religion were fake and a waste of time, why bother with it? And lastly, you like to bring up the violence caused by Christianity(yea because the religion teaches violence, it can't possibley be tht it's warped people using Christianity in a misguided way)... But what about the violence judaism is causing and has caused for hundreds or thousands of years over a piece of land. Oh, but that's G-d's will, right? Puhlease...

lol yeah anti Christian..... And so now you turn it against Judaism and the Jewish people. I am anti idiocy....

Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
lol yeah anti Christian..... And so now you turn it against Judaism and the Jewish people. I am anti idiocy....
Your religion isn't infallible, despite your attempts to discredit Christianity and Islam. Anyone interested enough can search your posting history, it's obvious. Oh and the personal attack isn't necessary.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,661,278 times
Quote:
Your religion isn't infallible, despite your attempts to discredit Christianity and Islam. Anyone interested enough can search your posting history, it's obvious.
What's obvious is that she responds to efforts at smearing Judaism. Your own bias is obvious, by the way.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What's obvious is that she responds to efforts at smearing Judaism. Your own bias is obvious, by the way.
Smearing Judaism? Please - I guess anyone who says anything that the follows of Judaism do not agree with is smearing Judaism. What a crock.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Smearing Judaism? Please - I guess anyone who says anything that the follows of Judaism do not agree with is smearing Judaism. What a crock.

I did not bring up Judaism you did. I don't even think I actually named my religion. You went into my posting history. You brought Judaism into the thread.
If you look into history though Christianity has a very violent history and it is against ALL those who did not subscribe to what it saw as its core beliefs. So it killed those Christians who they deemed heretics, It killed and exiled Jews and it went on a holy war against Islam. These are historical facts, not just what I think. But I guess you need to smear others when they go against what you hold to be true.

posted by Shamrockgower:
If the jewish religion were fake and a waste of time, why bother with it? And lastly, you like to bring up the violence caused by Christianity(yea because the religion teaches violence, it can't possibley be tht it's warped people using Christianity in a misguided way)... But what about the violence judaism is causing and has caused for hundreds or thousands of years over a piece of land. Oh, but that's G-d's will, right? Puhlease...

Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I did not bring up Judaism you did. I don't even think I actually named my religion. You went into my posting history. You brought Judaism into the thread.
If you look into history though Christianity has a very violent history and it is against ALL those who did not subscribe to what it saw as its core beliefs. So it killed those Christians who they deemed heretics, It killed and exiled Jews and it went on a holy war against Islam. These are historical facts, not just what I think. But I guess you need to smear others when they go against what you hold to be true.

posted by Shamrockgower:
If the jewish religion were fake and a waste of time, why bother with it? And lastly, you like to bring up the violence caused by Christianity(yea because the religion teaches violence, it can't possibley be tht it's warped people using Christianity in a misguided way)... But what about the violence judaism is causing and has caused for hundreds or thousands of years over a piece of land. Oh, but that's G-d's will, right? Puhlease...
Historical fact: Judaism is responsible for thousands of years of war, murders, rape, and death. You are very quick to bash Christianity or write about it in a negative light, but when presented with facts that put your religion in a negative light, you accuse me of smearing you and/or your religion. So how come when I bring up a fact it's a smear job but when you bring up a fact, it's OK?

As I said, a quick review of your posting history shows how deep-seated your anger towards Christianity is.

Why don't you keep to your own religion and post about the positives and negatives of your own religion, not just the positives of your religion and the negatives of other religions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality