Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Circumcision an American Christian Tradition?
Yes, it's an American Christian tradition that's losing popularity. 12 12.90%
Yes, it's an American tradition but not a Christian one. 19 20.43%
No, it's not an American tradition and never was. 16 17.20%
No, it's a Jewish tradition and I don't know why other American practice it. 37 39.78%
No opinion. 9 9.68%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
We know you're from Arkansas, but come on....

Believe it or not, it was tough to get men to use deodorant. Modern deodorants were first developed in the late 1800s as a women's cosmetic. It took nearly 20 years to get men to use them as well because men were horrified at the idea of using a women's product. That's why deodorants, though they all do essentially the same thing, are still largely marketed according to gender.
its a joke, laugh about the deodorant..

now about why I would have my son circumsized, (if I had one) is because for me. 1. its the norm in society
2. he would be glad we had it done when he older 3. he wont have to worry about infections and such. thats my three reasons and Im sticking to em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,375,213 times
They can smell, when stuff gets stuck underneath the foreskin too. There is an identical debate going on (at the same time, too!) in the parenting forum. lol. I'm starting to get mixed up going back and forth watching both of them.

At least you guys provide the biblical aspects of pros and cons to it!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,958 times
Quote:
If it's truly about personal choice then you must allow your son his personal choice, not your choice because there is no way to take back your decision. If you're permanently and forcibly removing part of another person's body then you're doing the exact opposite of giving personal choice.
It's like I said earlier in the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
To me all of the drama surrounding this topic stem from those idiots running around crying about how their foreskin was stolen from them and they want it back. Get over it! Talk to my dad about it and he'll tell you he wishes he'd given up his when he was a baby!
Quote:
My sister was the first among us to have a boy and I told her and her husband straight out. If when he turns 18 he wants to get circumcised, I will pay for the best doctor out there to do it complete with all the related expenses.
But there is a flip side to this coin. My dad was not circumsized, and try as he might, he had a very difficult time keeping things clean 100% of the time. He had numerous problems and finally in his forties he got a growth that was pre-cancerous and had to have it removed, and the doctors gave him a circumcision as well, deeming it (finally) medically necessary. And HE will tell you and anyone that he would much rather have had it done as a baby!

I was circumcized at birth and have never had my dad's issues. I had to pay out of pocket for my son's, because now they don't do it automatically, deeming it "medically unnecessary." What a load!

Quote:
Kids will find any reason to tease someone because they feel that person is weak enough to be teased. Good-natured ribbing is one thing but malicious teasing happens because the group perceives something wrong or different about the person being teased. If they can't tease him for being intact then they'll tease him for something else. We are independent, thinking beings, and if someone is being teased for having normal genitals then I think you'd agree that the teasing is misguided.
Of course your correct, but it just looks funny, just like how earlobes look funny to me or pinky toes. All natural, all funny looking IMO.

Quote:
If you're circumcising your son because you fear what a bunch of teenage yabbos think about your son's penis, then that's sad. If your son is raised to know he's normal and they're the ones that are different, and instilled in him a good sense of self-esteem, then he'll be secure enough in himself to know they're full of poo IF he gets teased at all, which likely won't happen because your son will be a strong and confident young man. For what it's worth, we had four intact guys in my entire school (which was small) and nobody teased them at all.
Of course that's not the reason! It crossed my mind sure, but since my dad has had issues and I have not I felt it prudent to have the simple procedure done as a preventative measure. If my son decides when he gets older that I have stolen something from him then I'll have him talk to his grandpa about what happened to him, and if he is still angry, I will personally buy him one of those stupid contraptions that uses gravity to regrow it!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
It's like I said earlier in the thread...
If my son decides when he gets older that I have stolen something from him then I'll have him talk to his grandpa about what happened to him, and if he is still angry, I will personally buy him one of those stupid contraptions that uses gravity to regrow it!

My son, Aaron, and I never discussed circumcision, but about other things I think I used to say something like this, "Well, fine! It will give you something to tell your psychiatrist about when you're 35!"

Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My son, Aaron, and I never discussed circumcision, but about other things I think I used to say something like this, "Well, fine! It will give you something to tell your psychiatrist about when you're 35!"
Thank God you never did, he would have turned beet red with emberassment!

And I think I'm gonna use that line kaykay!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,904,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
That's great! Thank you for making me smile. I feel besieged here today and needed the levity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace
Of course your correct, but it just looks funny, just like how earlobes look funny to me or pinky toes. All natural, all funny looking IMO.
But we don't go around cutting them off our kids. We'd be arrest and put in prison if we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace
But there is a flip side to this coin. My dad was not circumsized, and try as he might, he had a very difficult time keeping things clean 100% of the time. He had numerous problems and finally in his forties he got a growth that was pre-cancerous and had to have it removed, and the doctors gave him a circumcision as well, deeming it (finally) medically necessary. And HE will tell you and anyone that he would much rather have had it done as a baby!
Then he was, most unfortunately, one of the less than 1% of intact males who contract penile cancer. I am (in complete honesty) very happy that they caught it early and were able to save him. If a male truly needs circumcision for medial reasons then by all means it should be performed. I hope I haven't given the impression that I'm arguing otherwise. My argument stems from a number of issues which I hope I've made clear.

Again, if circumcision is needed to treat a disease, particularly something so life-threatening as cancer, then I'm all for it, doctors should perform it and medical insurance should cover it. No argument here.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,375,213 times
Quote:
Then he was, most unfortunately, one of the less than 1% of intact males who contract penile cancer..
Actually....

The American Cancer Society estimates that approximately 1,500 new cases of penile cancer will be diagnosed in the United States this year. Up to 10% of cancers in men that are diagnosed with this disease are due to penile cancer. Men whose foreskin has remained intact and have not practiced proper hygiene of the area may be more likely to develop cancer of the penis

Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
But we don't go around cutting them off our kids. We'd be arrest and put in prison if we did.
And if looks were the only reason for circumcision, then I wouldn't have done so.

Quote:
Then he was, most unfortunately, one of the less than 1% of intact males who contract penile cancer. I am (in complete honesty) very happy that they caught it early and were able to save him. If a male truly needs circumcision for medial reasons then by all means it should be performed. I hope I haven't given the impression that I'm arguing otherwise. My argument stems from a number of issues which I hope I've made clear.
I'm afraid I don't believe that statistic. Or perhaps it's a misunderstanding? His growth was determined pre-cancerous, but was not technically cancerous. It was, however, painful.

Quote:
Again, if circumcision is needed to treat a disease, particularly something so life-threatening as cancer, then I'm all for it, doctors should perform it and medical insurance should cover it. No argument here.
Well Jason, we will have to agree to disagree. What's done is done and I'm personally glad I don't have to worry about any cleanliness issues with my son, or myself.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,904,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
Actually....

The American Cancer Society estimates that approximately 1,500 new cases of penile cancer will be diagnosed in the United States this year. Up to 10% of cancers in men that are diagnosed with this disease are due to penile cancer. Men whose foreskin has remained intact and have not practiced proper hygiene of the area may be more likely to develop cancer of the penis

I see... interesting. According to the American Cancer Society's, Cancer Facts and Figures-1996:

Having listed prostate and testis separately, it listed "other and unspecified reproductive". The projected number of cases of "other and unspecified reproductive, male" cancers for 1996 was 1,200. Even if we assume that these are all penile cancer cases - not all of which would be sited on or near the foreskin - that is a tiny fraction of all cancers. With a total of 649,100 cases of cancer in males, "other and unspecificed reproductive" cancers in males amounted to 0.18% of malignancies.

The leading sites of cancers causing death are: lung, 94,400; prostate, 41,400; colon and rectum, 27,400; pancreas, 13,600; lymphoma, 13,600; leukemia, 11,600; esophagus, 8,500; liver, 8,400; stomach, 8,300; bladder, 7,800; kidney, 7,300; and brain, 7,200. Projected deaths from "other and unspecified reproductive" cancers in males were 220. That's 0.093% of the total cancer deaths.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 14,649 times
Quote:

Besides all that, just about every person I have ever heard talk it about it, male or female, agrees that a non-circumcized penis just looks wierd!
So, the way God provided men's anatomy is weird? You only think that way because you have been CONDITIONED to think that way. To cultures that don't circumcize, you look weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality