Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Circumcision an American Christian Tradition?
Yes, it's an American Christian tradition that's losing popularity. 12 12.90%
Yes, it's an American tradition but not a Christian one. 19 20.43%
No, it's not an American tradition and never was. 16 17.20%
No, it's a Jewish tradition and I don't know why other American practice it. 37 39.78%
No opinion. 9 9.68%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:17 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
This would be valid if not for one major point- the problem, (in my view), begins with those who assert that a natural penis is "funny-looking", and those who don't circumcise are "wierd". Yes, many on the other side feel circumcising is wrong, but I've never heard anyone say anything about the look of it.

Personally, I wish parents would all make this decision for themselves, respect others' right to do so, and refrain from trying to scare or ridicule others into circumcising.
im gonna go off the deep end here..in my school, there was one boy that wasnt circumcised....someone in 1st grade noticed this during a restroom break, and he was ridiculed all thru school ..by kids, not by parents, I mean, Id be embarresed if the WHOLE school new about my privates for 10 years. **it makes no difference to me either way, I have girls, so, its none of my business what anyone decides to do, its your children and your right to do whatever in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
This would be valid if not for one major point- the problem, (in my view), begins with those who assert that a natural penis is "funny-looking", and those who don't circumcise are "wierd". Yes, many on the other side feel circumcising is wrong, but I've never heard anyone say anything about the look of it.
Oh for goodness sakes...I've seen jokes on sitcoms about it! One I can think of was on Seinfeld, another was on...Will & Grace, I think. It's simply a general perception, and personal opinion.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
im gonna go off the deep end here..in my school, there was one boy that wasnt circumcised....someone in 1st grade noticed this during a restroom break, and he was ridiculed all thru school ..by kids, not by parents, I mean, Id be embarresed if the WHOLE school new about my privates for 10 years. **it makes no difference to me either way, I have girls, so, its none of my business what anyone decides to do, its your children and your right to do whatever in this situation.
Well I didn't have my son circumcized because of this reason, but it was a thought...LOL. It is becoming less uncommon but still there are certain locker room issues that go along with being uncircumsized, at least in alot of places here in the states.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 AM

255 posts, read 608,418 times
When we were deciding about circumcision with our oldest son (now almost 12), circumcision rates were around 60% in our area, and the rate was even lower in CA and New England. So I don't anticipate much teasing. There are just too many boys not being circumcised for it to be an issue.

My husband was circumcised, and he was adament that we not circumcise our boys. He didn't want to inflict pain on them unnecessarily.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Probably because it's a personal choice that's attacked so vigorously.
If it's truly about personal choice then you must allow your son his personal choice, not your choice because there is no way to take back your decision.

If you're permanently and forcibly removing part of another person's body then you're doing the exact opposite of giving personal choice.

My sister was the first among us to have a boy and I told her and her husband straight out. If when he turns 18 he wants to get circumcised, I will pay for the best doctor out there to do it complete with all the related expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973
im gonna go off the deep end here..in my school, there was one boy that wasnt circumcised....someone in 1st grade noticed this during a restroom break, and he was ridiculed all thru school ..by kids, not by parents, I mean, Id be embarresed if the WHOLE school new about my privates for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace
Well I didn't have my son circumcized because of this reason, but it was a thought...LOL. It is becoming less uncommon but still there are certain locker room issues that go along with being uncircumsized, at least in alot of places here in the states
Kids will find any reason to tease someone because they feel that person is weak enough to be teased. Good-natured ribbing is one thing but malicious teasing happens because the group perceives something wrong or different about the person being teased. If they can't tease him for being intact then they'll tease him for something else. We are independent, thinking beings, and if someone is being teased for having normal genitals then I think you'd agree that the teasing is misguided.

If you're circumcising your son because you fear what a bunch of teenage yabbos think about your son's penis, then that's sad. If your son is raised to know he's normal and they're the ones that are different, and instilled in him a good sense of self-esteem, then he'll be secure enough in himself to know they're full of poo IF he gets teased at all, which likely won't happen because your son will be a strong and confident young man. For what it's worth, we had four intact guys in my entire school (which was small) and nobody teased them at all.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonewman View Post
Wikipedia has a pretty good discussion of circumcision including religious aspects. I think this answers the original question pretty well.

Circumcision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Christianity

Christianity does not call for circumcision. The first Church Council in Jerusalem declared that circumcision was not necessary (Acts 15). St. Paul had Timothy circumcised (Acts 16:1-3) but in his letters he warned gentile Christians against adopting the practice (Galatians 6:12-16, Philippians 3:2-3). While in most countries, Christians do not circumcise,[35] it is customary among the Coptic, Ethiopian, and Eritrean Orthodox Churches and also some other African churches[6] Some Christian churches in South Africa oppose circumcision, viewing it as a pagan ritual, while others, including the Nomiya church in Kenya,[36][6] require circumcision for membership. Some participants in focus group discussions in Zambia and Malawi said that Christians should practice circumcision because Jesus was circumcised and the Bible teaches the practice. Male Circumcision: context, criteria and culture (Part 1), Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, February 26, 2007.
There you have me. I was unfamiliar with this.

Quote:
The Greek Orthodox Church celebrates the Circumcision of Christ on 1 January,[37] while Orthodox churches following the Julian calendar celebrate it on 14 January. The Russian Orthodox Church considers it a "Great Feast".[38] In the Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran churches it has been replaced by other commemorations.[39] At the Council of Basel-Florence in 1442, the Catholic Church condemned circumcision among the Copts and ordered against its practice.[35]"
The Feast of the Circumcision is celebrated because even Christians readily admit that Jesus was Jewish.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
bah. none of your options for the poll were appropriate.

yes it's american, yes it's christian, yes it originated with the jewish.

...there's another thread, in parenting, on almost the very same topic. and the percentages are staggering for the general US population. the majority of men are circumsized, whether for religious reasons or not, but for serious health reasons
Yes it is American, no it's not Christian (at least outside of Africa), and no it didn't originate with the Jews here in the US. There was no Jewish cabal of doctors who thought that circumcising all American boys would make it more difficult to differentiate a Jew from a gentile.

Some parents and doctors still believe that an intact male is at horrible risks for all kinds of maladies. Again, modern evidence does not support this whether statistically or anecdotally.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I dont have sons, but If I did, they would be cicumscised.
Why? What is it that overwhelms your reason to cause you to want to cut off part of your son's penis? I'm serious. I would love to know.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Why? What is it that overwhelms your reason to cause you to want to cut off part of your son's penis? I'm serious. I would love to know.
Well, I'm not, arguy, but we did have our son circumsized. One of the things which influenced my decision was working several years in a hospital and seeing adult males come in and have to have the procedure done for medical reasons. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seemed to me they would have been better off to have just had it done as an infant.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
whats deodorant?
We know you're from Arkansas, but come on....

Believe it or not, it was tough to get men to use deodorant. Modern deodorants were first developed in the late 1800s as a women's cosmetic. It took nearly 20 years to get men to use them as well because men were horrified at the idea of using a women's product. That's why deodorants, though they all do essentially the same thing, are still largely marketed according to gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality