Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times

Advertisements

Jazzedforhim, My link says the same thing on the passage you quoted but I started in the middle where the description of heaven is located. I suspect they're quite similar in most respects. I guess the point I was trying to make is that precious gems and gold don't seem to conform to the idea of helping the poor and that sort of thing. Doesn't the idea of all of the inhabitants of heaven living in a place that makes Bill Gate's home in Seattle look like an outhouse by comparison seem a little peculiar? I would have thought that a more appropriate ending for the Bible would have been a heaven in which people lived in a simple but comfortable lifestyle surrounded by the beauties of nature. But then again, I'm an atheist, so maybe I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,824 times
Well, we are to help the poor, but it's not wrong for a Christian to have money and a nice house. Jesus said that the poor will always be there.

If you have money, it's more about your attitude towards it. Are you worshipping the money or are you worshipping God?

I think what God has planned is bigger then we can imagine.

1 Corinthians 2:9 (New International Version)

However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"

Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,013,413 times
Here's a little more for you

Matthew 6:19-21 (King James Version)
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

John 14:1-3 (King James Version)
1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

2In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

We know how people appreciate these fine things in this life, therefore it only makes sense that Heaven would be depicted in this way. I am so happy that I can visualize Heaven as being streets of gold and mansions etc rather than the thought that Heaven might look like this baron desert we live in MG

Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 AM

22,930 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Doesn't this description of unimaginable wealth seem to contradict the basic philosophy of the Bible?
It's metaphor, spoken to a particular people in a particular age. We can still learn from it, to be sure, but don't take it literally.

To me, this has always been the greatest promise of heaven:

Behold how great love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! For this reason, the world does not know us, because it did not know him. Beloved, now we are the children of God; but it does not yet appear what we shall be. However, we know, that when he shall appear, we shall be like him;--that we shall see him as he is. (I John 3:1-2)

Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
We know how people appreciate these fine things in this life, therefore it only makes sense that Heaven would be depicted in this way. I am so happy that I can visualize Heaven as being streets of gold and mansions etc rather than the thought that Heaven might look like this baron desert we live in MG
That's the odd thing though. To someone, a mansion and streets of gold sounds fine. Not to me. Personally, I'd rather have a tree house in the mountains.

Heaven isn't about material comforts though. Those images were all metaphors to point us to a greater reality.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,672,622 times
Off topic for a sec...MG you said you were packed, does that mean you sold your house?

and Mark....tree houses, as long as they are not too high off the ground sound quite lovely to me as well.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Off topic for a sec...MG you said you were packed, does that mean you sold your house?
No, I actually packed everything months ago. I'll probably die of old age before I sell it.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,672,622 times
Quote:
No, I actually packed everything months ago. I'll probably die of old age before I sell it.
Let's hope not! I feel like you will sell soon.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Mark S. wrote:
Quote:
It's metaphor, spoken to a particular people in a particular age. We can still learn from it, to be sure, but don't take it literally.
The problem with that point of view is that the description is so detailed and even includes measurements. (just like Noah's arc, by the way) It sounds like a description of a physical location, not some vague concept. Let me ask you this. Since you take this particular thing as a metaphor, do you also do the same thing with Genesis or other parts of the Bible?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The problem with that point of view is that the description is so detailed and even includes measurements. (just like Noah's arc, by the way) It sounds like a description of a physical location, not some vague concept.
That happens throughout the Bible. Not just with the ark, but with the Tabernacle, the Temple, various visions, etc. I still think it's talking symbolism here. Both the Tabernacle, the Temple, and their fulfillment in Christ (which is what the book of Revelation is about; not the "end times") are pointing to greater realities that, let's be honest, our frail minds just can't comprehend.

Quote:
Let me ask you this. Since you take this particular thing as a metaphor, do you also do the same thing with Genesis or other parts of the Bible?
Yep. I don't write the whole thing off as "it's all symbolism," but large parts of the Bible obviously are. Unless you've run into any talking snakes recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality