Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 AM

271 posts, read 355,779 times

Advertisements

yes, there is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICJEf..._order&list=UL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
I don't think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1-bbz3crjw

Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Around 33% of American scientists believe in God. For scientists under 50 that percent goes up, albeit marginally, to 37-42%. Scientists who are Christian tend to be mainline Protestant or Catholic.

Scientists and Belief - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Mostly the percent of scientist who believe in God, from what I can tell, has been relatively stable for decades. Neither going up nor going down much. Although belief in God among scientists seems to have went through a fairly strong decrease from the 1870s to 1930s, which is perhaps unsurprising. In the age of Cantor, Godel, and Quantum Mechanics the kind of positivist certainties that once existed eroded a bit. I don't know if that's why, but most things I know indicate atheism kind of peaked at around 60-70% by WWII and plateaued at that level. (Current waves of frothing atheism I think are more a cultural reaction to Bush, Blair, and 9-11 rather than any real shake-up/shift among educated people and scientists)

Granted 33-42% might seem pretty skimpy, but it's pretty far from the zero that many seem to prefer. As for the battling Youtube videos unless we're going to break into folk-music videos or jazz that's not my thing.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Old 11-12-2010, 08:00 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
93% of the scientists whom are a member of the National Academy of Science are either atheist or agnostic.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
Yes, there may be a God but it's most definitely NOT the Christian/Biblical deity.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
It's not really a debate involving scientists. It's a debate involving YouTube.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Yes, there may be a God but it's most definitely NOT the Christian/Biblical deity.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
I am going to be honest here. When I first saw this thread (and the OP's user name) I thought to myself "Oh brother, not another desperate theist".

However, I watched that video with eyes open (and mind open too) and I must say that the last 3 minutes of that video was ABSOLUTELY ON POINT!!! This video is not proof of a bible God (or any God) IMO. However, it does talk about the universe possibly being one consciousness (something I've believed for quite sometime now). This would explain why we often think of a person just before they call us on the phone. Or why some new fathers feel the symptoms of a pregnancy before they find out that their wife is actually pregnant.

Lecturers like David Wilcock talk in much detail about topics like this and I find some of his research quite interesting. At any rate, great video find OP!!!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
urbancharlotte wrote:
Quote:
This video is not proof of a bible God (or any God) IMO. However, it does talk about the universe possibly being one consciousness (something I've believed for quite sometime now). This would explain why we often think of a person just before they call us on the phone. Or why some new fathers feel the symptoms of a pregnancy before they find out that their wife is actually pregnant.
There are some very interesting phenomenon that have been discovered by physicists but I think it's a stretch to suggest that there is really evidence of a single consciousness that is controlling events for a purpose that would include the origins of human beings. To it's credit the video did at least accept the reality of the big bang and attempted to understand how the universe could have come into existence in such a manner that eventually life could have arisen from this seemingly chaotic beginning. This is a big improvement over some of the nonsense that's been presented on other threads about the mythological six day creation but it still doesn't prove there's a God (as you've admitted) and I just have the feeling that it's just another attempt to insert a supernatural being into the workings of nature that we still don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality