Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times

Advertisements

Ok, I just sent a PM to the ones who don't have books yet to make sure they are still participating AND to see if they have the books yet.

Chapter one starts on page 35 so I'm going to read the introduction tonight.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/jazzedforhim/winking0047.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Jazzed, I have both books too and half way through the., but will have to staret over. Those philosophers sometimes talk circles over my head
Oh Blue, I just started reading...I know what you mean!

I'm reading things over again too! I'm breakin out the highlighter and pen!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I have highlighter in hand and dictionary beside me

Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,407 times
Guys -

I am really feeling compelled to not participate in this discussion. The more I think about it, the less point I see in debating atheistic philosophy. While I see the value in studying the effects of the enemy, I don't see the benefit of engaging it voluntarilly. I'm sure there may be some interesting philosophy to the thinking of atheism, but if the philosophy does not lead to what I know to be the truth, or worse, leads to an anti-truth, then I choose not to subject myself to it.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Jazzed, I have both books too and half way through the., but will have to staret over. Those philosophers sometimes talk circles over my head
I am not participating in the book challenge but I recently just read the I don't Have enough Faith to be an Atheist book, and yeah, I am having to go back and re-read the first parts of it because you really do have to concentrate to catch what's being said there. Not as light of a read as I expected it to be.!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Guys -

I am really feeling compelled to not participate in this discussion. The more I think about it, the less point I see in debating atheistic philosophy. While I see the value in studying the effects of the enemy, I don't see the benefit of engaging it voluntarilly. I'm sure there may be some interesting philosophy to the thinking of atheism, but if the philosophy does not lead to what I know to be the truth, or worse, leads to an anti-truth, then I choose not to subject myself to it.
BrittZ..I totally understand. If you had asked me a few years back I would have said the same thing. Right now, God has brought me to a different place...a place where many of my non-believing family members are asking deep intellectual questions and I want to be ready in all seasons to give an answer as to why I believe what I do. So, I completely understand and I hope you will come and visit from time to time!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
I would be happy to read a Religious book that anyone can recommend. I'm always keen to enhance the old knowledge!

I wouldn't recommend 'God Delusion'.

The best ones for an easy and straight to the point read are:

Atheist Universe - David Millsm (basic but to the point)
Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris (very good, short, and excellent points)
God is not Great - Christpher Hitchins (not as good as the other 2 in that he is an intellectual snob and may offend religious readers).

Sam Harris also has 'The End of Faith' which is also very good.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Ian, we've already chosen the two books and it looks like we've lost a couple of participants. Maybe you'd like to join in?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Ian, we've already chosen the two books and it looks like we've lost a couple of participants. Maybe you'd like to join in?
Yes, please do join in! We're reading "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" by norman geisler first. Then the God Delusion.

We're just getting started!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM

Montana,

You are right, we've lost a few participants. Here's the final list:

MontanaGuy
June 7th
alpha8207
blue62
jazzedforhim
winkie2

I'm only waiting to hear from winkie. I think it's safe to get started. For now lets start with reading the introduction. I didn't get to it last night, but I will today and then I think it will be easier to see how much we should do at a time.

Winkie, let us know if you are still with us or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality