Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No, life on other planets would not effect the belief of Christianity.

If we found life on other planets that would be great! God is clear in the bible that he is going to rule from the earth. It says that his "New Jerusalem" will come down out of heaven. So, if God comes to earth to rule the Universe, I think that there will have to be things out in the universe to rule over. The Christian is called a "Son of God" and these Son's of God are corullers with God (the bible says that we will rule and reign with him). So what would Christians and God rule over when all those who are not Christian or Evil go to hell? So, maybe God did create other planets and other intelligent beings. They would just be those that we will rule over for eternity. God only knows and he just hasn't been explicit on the subject, but the lack of information does not mean that it isn't a possibility.
What a lovely view of the universe. You think it is "great" that fellow humans will be roasting in hell for eternity while christians rule over alien life forms. This is probably one of the most ego-centric views I have ever read and I will save this quote to bring up in debates with others of your kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:

If we found life on other planets that would be great! God is clear in the bible that he is going to rule from the earth. It says that his "New Jerusalem" will come down out of heaven. So, if God comes to earth to rule the Universe, I think that there will have to be things out in the universe to rule over. The Christian is called a "Son of God" and these Son's of God are corullers with God (the bible says that we will rule and reign with him). So what would Christians and God rule over when all those who are not Christian or Evil go to hell? So, maybe God did create other planets and other intelligent beings. They would just be those that we will rule over for eternity. God only knows and he just hasn't been explicit on the subject, but the lack of information does not mean that it isn't a possibility.

Wow...just wow. I have yet to understand the Christian view that all people not of the Christian faith go to hell. I fail to see why any "supreme being" would condemn the majority of his creations to eternal torment. Seem counter intuitive to me. THIS THINKING IS THE HEIGHT OF HUBRIS!!

Old 11-16-2010, 04:47 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
with that said, if the alleles weren't a red flag than i guess a little thing like the fusion chromosome that resulted into the rise of man-kind wouldn't be to interesting.
the Pope says God dunnit...I say God may have had some help.
And let's not forget that our #2 chromosome (the fused one that you mentioned) contains most of the same genetic material of two chimp/ape chromosomes. This was NOT a chance mutation IMO. However, I don't believe that "God" had help because "God" was the race of extraterrestrials that did the work. As for the thread question:

Would life elsewhere in the universe invalidate religion?

YES!!!! That is the big "revelation" that religions have been hiding for the past 60 plus years. God and the angles were ETs. Plain and simple. Our ancient ancestors misunderstood who and what they were. We won't make the same mistake when they return (I hope).

Old 11-16-2010, 04:55 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Sure it would, considering the history of life and religion on THIS planet already invalidates The Bible and Christianity.

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty damn scary. Methinks Nikk would make a most excellent "space conquistador" or Holy Inquisitor, circa 3000 AD

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I can hear it now:

"Kill the extraterrestrials....kill them now. Oops...we said that out loud. Wait, what we meant was, let's tell them about Jesus...in love. And if they don't accept it, then god will send them to hell and kill them forever....in love. Now, how can we take their land?"
Wow, did I have that pegged or what?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Wow, did I have that pegged or what?
Yup, you nailed it.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
If we were to discover intelligent life on a distant planet. Would that life make all earthly religions invalid?
I don't see why it would. I believe Hinduism and maybe Islam specifically say there are other worlds with other life. I doubt the Baha'i would have a problem with it. The "New Church", a Christian denomination or offshoot if you deem them too heterodox, is founded on the thinking of a seventeenth/eighteenth century man who claimed to have contacted extraterrestrials. (Emanuel Swedenborg, fascinating guy) The Aetherians, the Raelians, and to a lesser extent the Scientologists are specifically about extraterrestrial life.

"Religion" is a big thing that encompasses belief systems with diverse views. There's probably no single thing or event that could invalidate all religion.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't see why it would. I believe Hinduism and maybe Islam specifically say there are other worlds with other life. I doubt the Baha'i would have a problem with it. The "New Church", a Christian denomination or offshoot if you deem them too heterodox, is founded on the thinking of a seventeenth/eighteenth century man who claimed to have contacted extraterrestrials. (Emanuel Swedenborg, fascinating guy) The Aetherians, the Raelians, and to a lesser extent the Scientologists are specifically about extraterrestrial life.

"Religion" is a big thing that encompasses belief systems with diverse views. There's probably no single thing or event that could invalidate all religion.
I agree. People of a religious bent have a great ability to waffle and dodge whatever threatens their beliefs even if it is dishonest...I wonder what would happen if they encountered an alien intelligence that has a religious belief totally at odds with anything on earth, or absolute proof that there are no gods?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree. People of a religious bent have a great ability to waffle and dodge whatever threatens their beliefs even if it is dishonest.
That's not really agreement, it's just using what I said as a springboard to something you want to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I wonder what would happen if they encountered an alien intelligence that has a religious belief totally at odds with anything on earth, or absolute proof that there are no gods?
That is an interesting question. I don't think they could have absolute proof of such a thing, but an alien species that has never had a concept like God or gods could be seen as difficult. I heard James Blish dealt with this something like that in the novel A Case of Conscience, but I haven't read it.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,597 times
My answer is that - it will invalidate religion...but it will NOT invalidate God or His presence or His role in creating the universe.

God exists and created the universe - man created religion...NOT God...man has tried to lock God in box.

Its simple : "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality