Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,598,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Rather bizarre of you to pretend I didn't know what you meant by "camp". Were you working on self-esteem issues?
ad hominem

Nice try at pretending to be coy tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM

465 posts, read 530,011 times
First things first, don't listen to Mr. 5150. He is using the same cop out that many use. Think about it, if you pray for something, and god doesn't deliver, you have to find some way to rationalize it out to keep your faith. A perfect way to do that is to have all your bases covered.

"If god does not answer my prayer, then it just meant that it was a no (i.e. not in his will), or it's a wait. Phew!! I almost started to use logic there."

Second, someone else posted that if you are a christian, then you should be glorifying god or praying for his will as it says in the bible. According to the christian belief, it could be that it's just god's will that you are in your situation, and it's up to him when a way out will be made. Or like Job, he may have a little bet with satan going on with your life right now.

Third, I've been there You said that you are doing things to get you out of your situation instead of just praying and doing nothing...I'm sure something will change soon

Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM

465 posts, read 530,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I need stats, my man. Not just anecdotal opinions. We have too many people healed of cancer by prayer at my church. Gets old after a while.

Now amputations, for some reason God says no. That and living to be 200.

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Tired old arguement that falls flat.
"I assume you have stats to back up your claim."

Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,250,251 times
My feelings on prayer is that it's about faith - not fact. To me, I don't think there is a way of knowing how the cancer was cured - prayer, medicine, a strong body, postive thinking, etc. Ultimately, I think it just all comes down to what makes the individual feel better - whether it's prayer, meditation, talking to friends, talking to a therapist, listening to music, watching movies, etc. But I do know that taking action and helping yourself will always have positive effects. It sounds like you are doing that. Another thing that I always tell myself is - is that anything worth having (love, success, etc.) is worth working hard for. Tears, disappointment, rejection - these are all a party of the journey.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,025,254 times
*EHEM*

Quote:
We have too many people healed of cancer by prayer at my church.
Are the local cancer wards aware of this impressive stat?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,893,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
How do you deal with it?
Regarding prayer requests, sometimes He lets the exact opposite happen.
I don't get it, or maybe I don't WANT to get it.
Either way, I'm pretty disillusioned right now. Guess many people experience that ...?
No, life isn't a bed of roses, but this is ridiculous.
Soda, This thread has digressed into everyone trying to 'out-clever' everyone else in a Christian/God/prayer-bashing fest -- without really answering your question. But, since the lost world only has questions, not answers to life's problems ... that's probably what you should expect in this forum. (Is there some reason you did not post to the 'Christian' forum?)

See you are praying, should one assume that you are seriously seeking God's involvement in your life? He loves you and will do that, but you need to adjust your thinking about God and prayer: 1). Holy God is the sovereign creator of the universe and he wants what is best for you, more than you even want what is best for your children, ... yet, "you are disappointed in him" -- you need to re-think your attitude and expectations! 2). God is not a 'cosmic bellhop' whose job it is to jump whenever anyone 'snaps their fingers'. 3). Prayer is about communication with God, not simply presenting a list of demands. 4). If you want a relationship with God, seek that through Jesus Christ ("Even the demons know there is one God and tremble"

Does God answer prayer?? Absolutely ... but, not the prayers of the rebellious who mock God and do not truly seek a relationship with him. ... "Seek and you will find", "Knock and the door will be opened" ... and "You will know the truth, which will make you free indeed" -- If you want God's answers, seek them from Him ... not from some imagined parody of what the world imagines God to be. Start with the Bible.

Enough for here ... I have little doubt that all this type of response will garner in this forum is mockery and ridicule ... but, that is their problem.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,521,179 times
I believe praying is indistinguishable from talking to yourself.

But if someone wants to distinguish it, they can go right ahead.

Move a mountain, regrow an amputated limb, predict the next three powerballs, anything.

Anyone who claims there is a prove-able difference between prayer and talking to yourself needs to go ahead and prove it.

And if you can't, don't claim there is a prove-able difference.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,598,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Soda, This thread has digressed into everyone trying to 'out-clever' everyone else in a Christian/God/prayer-bashing fest -- without really answering your question. But, since the lost world only has questions, not answers to life's problems ... that's probably what you should expect in this forum. (Is there some reason you did not post to the 'Christian' forum?)

See you are praying, should one assume that you are seriously seeking God's involvement in your life? He loves you and will do that, but you need to adjust your thinking about God and prayer: 1). Holy God is the sovereign creator of the universe and he wants what is best for you, more than you even want what is best for your children, ... yet, "you are disappointed in him" -- you need to re-think your attitude and expectations! 2). God is not a 'cosmic bellhop' whose job it is to jump whenever anyone 'snaps their fingers'. 3). Prayer is about communication with God, not simply presenting a list of demands. 4). If you want a relationship with God, seek that through Jesus Christ ("Even the demons know there is one God and tremble"

Does God answer prayer?? Absolutely ... but, not the prayers of the rebellious who mock God and do not truly seek a relationship with him. ... "Seek and you will find", "Knock and the door will be opened" ... and "You will know the truth, which will make you free indeed" -- If you want God's answers, seek them from Him ... not from some imagined parody of what the world imagines God to be. Start with the Bible.

Enough for here ... I have little doubt that all this type of response will garner in this forum is mockery and ridicule ... but, that is their problem.
Post of the week. Excellent!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,012,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Are you disappointed that Zeus and Odin and Shiva don't answer your prayers either?
Of course ...
Geez ...
How 'bout you?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Post of the week. Excellent!
Still waiting for your prayer healed cancer stats ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality