Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,951,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
This "god" character sure has a lot of love & forgiveness in his heart to set up such a wonderful place then send you there for such stupid reasons. rifleman I can't tell if you're serious or not, but for your sake & the sake of your children (that I hope you never have) I hope you're not.
Sorry: I have (at least) three that I know of. All quite successful and intelligent, of course, I mean... genetics, you know.

Oh, and skeptical for sure. I had to teach them that, but then left the rest of it to their own minds. One was, briefly, quite Christian-religious when she was about 18, but then went to university, began to think and question, saw the light and is now a part-time Wiccan. Good for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What lands us in Hell?

UH........ would that be a S.T.O.L. equipped C140 ????
Or perhaps an early Aerospatial A-Star, with the French powerplant. Referred to, up in northern Canada as The Falling Star until they switched out to a US-built turbine. Lost a few friends that way back in the early '70s. God didn't even try save 'em either.

BTW, slambango, I am quite serious; there is an ulterior motive for this thread; watch for it later. Nothing any different from any other thread here though, huh?

Meantime: Peace, Love & Harmony to All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,029,803 times
Thinking. That will land you in the fires of eternal torment for sure.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,127,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I am bemused at the attitude and assumption that those who do not tow the Christian behavioral line will and do end up in Satan's grasp, roasting away for eternity in Hell. I was wondering what, exactly, in this day and age might land you that special one-way ticket.

Let me start the discussion with a short list. Christians; I implore you to comment here, since, if we heathen atheists can perhaps realize and atone, why, we may get to meet with you over coffee up in Heaven (tho' it would likely have to be decaf and sans a morning "Bourbon lift" if the Mormon constituent has any say, huh?):

Lets see:

1. Purposefully lying to deceive and mislead your fellow man;

2. Misrepresent yourself for personal gain;

3. Various forms of coveting things like your neighbor's wife, his or her "Beemer", bigger house, new LED wide-screen TV set, etc.

4. Misrepresenting others' viewpoints to, again, advance your own cause;

5. Purposefully mean acts designed to embarrass or disadvantage others while you gloat over your accomplishments;

6. Of course, murdering, injuring or placing others in direct danger. That would include, one assumes, putting them in dire psychological danger.

7. Lying to children.

8. Drinking coffee or Cokeâ„¢, and a double-fast ride to the inner ring if you add in that little whiskey spice-up....

9. Not attending official religious chant-ins (like church, or carrying vicious signs for the Westboro Church, etc....)

Any others? I'm sure I've missed a few. Still, I'm sure any one, or certainly a few of these, should land you a first-class ride into Hades inner circles, right?

Lemmee know, please!
From the Mormon constituent: None of the above will land you in hell.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,603,434 times
Lands you in hell, or creates a hell for the individual here and now?

Wasting one's time believing in invisible friends, retirement to streets of gold, and all the other trappings of the myth.

Or is hell a very brief moment at death when the reality hits, and you go "damn, those Atheists were right"

Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,655,067 times
Quote:
Wow! I had no idea! Well thx for the warnings then. I'll be sure to never do any of those things! (BTW, one man's sarcasm may be another man's attempt at the truth through humor...)

Seriously though, I would love to know what honest Christians are sure will get them posted to hell. There is a chance that us non-believers won't go there if, in the final analysis, there really is no such place.

(Of course, if I'm wrong (alå Dr. Pascal & his silly Wager...) then I need to know what to correct, don't I?)
Well I'm here to tell ya there really IS NO PLACE called "hell". Honest Christian, honest Christian response. There is nothing you can do to send you to this imaginary "hell" as Eternal Torment proponents would lead you to believe. Unbelief may get you some "refining", but in the end everyone will be a believer.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,210,802 times
Quote:
Wow! I had no idea! Well thx for the warnings then. I'll be sure to never do any of those things! (BTW, one man's sarcasm may be another man's attempt at the truth through humor...)

Seriously though, I would love to know what honest Christians are sure will get them posted to hell. There is a chance that us non-believers won't go there if, in the final analysis, there really is no such place.

(Of course, if I'm wrong (alå Dr. Pascal & his silly Wager...) then I need to know what to correct, don't I?)
Quote:

Meantime: Peace, Love & Harmony to All!

Did you know you could depart hell? Proverbs 15:24. The way of life [is] above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.

Hell being the grave. Oh, those wily translators.

Peace, love and harmony to you, as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,153,751 times
Default What lands us in Hell?

I know, I know.......The Jersey Turnpike! Final answer Regis.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,686,408 times
Quote:
I am bemused at the attitude and assumption that those who do not tow the Christian behavioral line will and do end up in Satan's grasp, roasting away for eternity in Hell. I was wondering what, exactly, in this day and age might land you that special one-way ticket.

Let me start the discussion with a short list. Christians; I implore you to comment here, since, if we heathen atheists can perhaps realize and atone, why, we may get to meet with you over coffee up in Heaven (tho' it would likely have to be decaf and sans a morning "Bourbon lift" if the Mormon constituent has any say, huh?):

Lets see:

1. Purposefully lying to deceive and mislead your fellow man;

2. Misrepresent yourself for personal gain;

3. Various forms of coveting things like your neighbor's wife, his or her "Beemer", bigger house, new LED wide-screen TV set, etc.

4. Misrepresenting others' viewpoints to, again, advance your own cause;

5. Purposefully mean acts designed to embarrass or disadvantage others while you gloat over your accomplishments;

6. Of course, murdering, injuring or placing others in direct danger. That would include, one assumes, putting them in dire psychological danger.

7. Lying to children.

8. Drinking coffee or Cokeâ„¢, and a double-fast ride to the inner ring if you add in that little whiskey spice-up....

9. Not attending official religious chant-ins (like church, or carrying vicious signs for the Westboro Church, etc....)

Any others? I'm sure I've missed a few. Still, I'm sure any one, or certainly a few of these, should land you a first-class ride into Hades inner circles, right?

Lemmee know, please!
Hmmmmmm...I think I know of a couple you missed. You know...those "carnal type" of "moral failings". I've heard something about that kind of stuff.

There's no such thing as eternal torment in some "hell" place...but if there was...and any "unrepentant" failing of all those "religious rules" was the criteria for ending up there...it would need to be a REALLY BIG place!

But don't worry...if there is a hell...as soon as I get there...I'm gonna stomp Satans butt into the coals, crank up the AC, and start a PARTY! You can bring the Wild Turkey & Jack Daniels rifleman. Whoo Hoo!!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 PM

764 posts, read 598,717 times
Apparently not accepting a God who has given no one any reason to think he exists, will send you there. You would think this all knowing God, who loves everyone, would be smart enough to give a little more evidence of his existence, or kind enough to not send you to hell when you rightfully are skeptical.

So yeah, that means people like Pat Tillman, a very kind person who gave up a NFL contract to go fight for his country, would go to hell. But some serial killer who accepts Jesus in prison gets in. Anyone care to explain this? Or am I just going to get the "GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS" cop out?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:18 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,255,344 times
YES Rifleman-you are goin to hell,not for all those thigs you posted but simply for being human and not falling for a doctrine filled with fear and terror,a doctrine that on the one hand says God is mercifull yet at the same time will burn and torture living entitys for all eternity,and because your clever mind cant understand this ,that is why your goin to burn!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality