Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
GldnRule, what you have described is an Agnostic, an Agnostic has a belief in a supreme being, whether it be a Creator or some other kind of deity other than the Christian God.
What are you talking about???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,202,831 times
Hueffenhardt: If you don't think we have a difference of opinion, why did you feel it necessary to cut & paste definitions of the terms 'atheist' and 'naturalist'? Of course I know the dictionary definitions, but after all, I said "To me", because I personally think that atheism (in spirit) is a rejection of the supernatural in all its forms. I agree that the strict definition only includes no belief in a god or gods.

Going back to my previous post, you don't think angels & demons are theistic concepts? They are hardly congruent with atheism IMO.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,225,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Hueffenhardt: This is the first time I have differed with you. I don't think atheism includes belief in anything supernatural, certainly not angels & demons which are definitely concepts related to theistic religions. It is possible, I suppose, to consider reincarnation part of the natural order of things, but that's really stretching it. I find karma a useful concept, but I don't really "believe" in it; it's simply a good way to look at one's actions (sort of a corollary to the "Golden Rule"). But to me, the atheist world-view has no place for the supernatural.
Besides not having a belief in god, what is the atheist "world-view? Not believing in god does not preclude one from believing in the supernatural. One can be an atheist and believe in ghosts, the afterlife, reincarnation, etc. I have never had a belief in any god, but up until a few years ago, I believed in ghosts/spirits due to an experience that I had. I now realize that I was mistaken about the experience, so I no longer believe, but it is possible to believe in some forms of the supernatural, without believing in any gods.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Hueffenhardt: If you don't think we have a difference of opinion, why did you feel it necessary to cut & paste definitions of the terms 'atheist' and 'naturalist'? Of course I know the dictionary definitions, but after all, I said "To me", because I personally think that atheism (in spirit) is a rejection of the supernatural in all its forms. I agree that the strict definition only includes no belief in a god or gods.

Going back to my previous post, you don't think angels & demons are theistic concepts? They are hardly congruent with atheism IMO.
As long as you know that the dictionary definition of atheism only precludes a belief in god(s), but permits a belief of anything else, then I'm ok with that.

Although the terms "angels" and "demons" are associated with some theistic religions, I knew one person who did not believe there was a god, but was convinced she had a guardian angel. (Needless to say to anyone who frequents these boards, a person's beliefs aren't always congruent or internally consistent). The concept of demons, which are essentially evil spirits, is very old and exists in cultures that have no concept of god.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 PM

mythunderstood: Yes, it is possible to believe in other supernatural entities besides gods and still be an atheist. However, I think that doing so goes against the usual atheist reliance on logic, proof and science. To each his own. I'm glad you realized that you were mistaken about your 'experience'.

Hueffenhardt: Wouldn't demons/evil spirits be sorts of demi-gods? They are incorporeal. I suppose it all depends upon how one looks at it. Anyway, I'm OK with your outlook as well. (As if it matters!)

Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM

43 posts, read 46,889 times
Ok, I'm sorry, I thought people were clear about what these terms mean or would look them up if they weren't. I'll repost this with the definitions added.

My thanks to those who added names to my list.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:29 PM

To "repost this with the definitions added" would serve no useful purpose. We agree on the basic definitions. We're discussing where the fuzzy edges are.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunniRabbi View Post
Buddhism - Some forms allow or require atheism. If you have more info as to which please post.
Buddhism is not a religion.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,926,037 times
Since most atheists I've met and talked to arrived at their now-revised world-view after being Christians in their formative years, they embrace skeptical thought, empirical evidence and rational argument.

This tends to debunk most supernatural explanations ("supernatural' meaning absent any reasonable or rational explanation, or requiring of an absolutely irrational explanation, like, for instance, some guy turning water into wine or walking on that water [and absent an alien-supplied but technically possible anti-gravity belt hidden under one's robes, strictly for dramatic purposes you understand]...).

Since religions also embrace set rules, strictures, chants, an established command heirarchy and a strictly enforced penal code for transgressors, I doubt too many true atheists would knowingly join in such an unlikely group. Just my opinion, of course.

Simply put, atheism ends to be anathema to organized religion.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Buddhism is not a religion.
in your opinion. Many others, including its followers, believe it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality