Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

Allow me to explain, in the form of a list of four statements, what the Anti-theistic, "there is no god" fundamentalists and the "My religion is the only one and you should all bow to it" have in common, which is to say, allot:

1: THE BIGGEST THING THEY HAVE IN COMMON, THEY BOTH MAKE THE MAJORITY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE GROUPS, THE MODERATES, LOOK BAD.

How many times do we feel embarassed for being "one of them" in the sense that we share their belief system, but not their world view and certaintly not their habits? How many intelligent, tolerant Atheists look down and turn red when some Emo kid goes on a rant about "GOD IS ONLY FOR STUPID PEOPLE!" and throw some half thought out verbal venom about how "evil" religion is? How many moderate, well meaning Christians watch fundies screaming about hell and damnation and Harry Potter and just rub their eyes and shake their heads? Tons.

The biggest thing anti-theists fundies and religious fundies have in common is that they make intelligent, thoughtful, well meaning Atheists and believers look bad by appearing to be the same group as they are while having a ridiculous view on their respective group.

2: They both feel as if they know more about an "opposing" religion then the people in them do.

I have had so many arguments with Anti-Theists radicals who preach on and on about "God being a fairytale". I say that as a Gnostic, we are suppose to doubt and take scripture as not literal and understand that it is not the belief and faith, but the practice and understanding that matters...and they say "no, you believe in a fairy tale!" I say "no, we understand the Myths and how they relate to everday life in the form of a metaphor"...they, again, say "NO! YOU BELIEVE IN A FAIRY TALE!"...
I have also seen the dumbest things from religious freaks as well. They argue with Catholics and say they pray to saints, when they do not, and do not listen to an explaination about what they are really doing, they argue with Buddhist and say that Buddhism teaches that if someone is a bad person he will be reincarnated as a frog, and do not listen to a Zen master's explaination that that is not the case.

Both groups go on and on thinking they know more about your religion then you do. I can understand not argeeing on the doctrine...BUT DO SHUT UP WHEN TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS THAT DOCTRINE INSTEAD OF GOING AROUND TALKING LIKE YOU KNOW IT BETTER THEN THE PERSON FOLLOWING IT.

3: Neither groups want to learn anything about their own bloody history.

Go to any Christian fanatic and point to the Crusades, the Inquestion, or the massacre of the natives, and they will say "NO! those weren't real Christians so I don't have to think about that!" Go to any anti-theists and point out the Soviet Unions oppression of religion, Enver Hoxha's "scientific, rational" state of oppresion or the Atheistic Cult of Reason's bloody massacre of Christians in the French Revolution and they will say "No! They weren't real Atheists, so I don't have to think about that!"

Both the Reverend Falwells and the Chrisopher Hitchens of the world have this deluded, "ignorance is bliss" attitude about the bloody history of their own fanatical brand of their belief systems that is unsettling to say the least. Reverend Falwell would just shrug at someone pointing out how the bloody Protestants forced so many Native Americans to convert to Christianity:

Americanization (of Native Americans) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the same hand, if I approached some radical Anti-theists like Hitchens with the existince of the Cult of Reason in France, a radical Atheistic terrorist faction existing in the French Revolution who massacred tens of thousands of innocent people, including old ladies who had the nerve to keep a cross in their homes, they would just snort and walk away, while completely ignoring the facts:
Cult of Reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The majority of the moderates in both camps would look at these two examples and say "yahh, we should learn from those things and see that even our views can lead to something no one wants to see", while the fanatics remain too blinded by their own fanatical ways to see that they have a very scary resemblance to those mad men of yestyear.

When ever I hear or read the hate filled venom of either a Christian fundie or a Anti-Theists extremists, I cannot help but think of the words of George Santayna, "Those who cannot learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it."

4: Both are positive beyond any measure of the word that their view is the right view.

Both the radical Atheists and the Fundamentalist are absolutely convinced that their view is the only view to the very core of their being, and that is why they are so dangerous. While majority of people on Earth can shrug and say "well, who know really if I am right? I feel I am right, but then again, so could that other person and that other person, therefore, should be allowed to have his/her opinion".
It is that understanding that there is a chance that we are wrong that is the basis for allot of our tolerance.
For the anti-theists radical and the fundie, however, it is just "I AM RIGHT BECAUSE (insert the Bible or the sciences/Reason here) SAYS SO AND I THEREFORE DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW ANY RESPECT TOWARDS ANYONE ELSE'S VIEW BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG AND I AM RIGHT!"

It is that boneheaded, intolerant attitude that makes them so dangerous indeed.

Last edited by victorianpunk; 10-14-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
excellent post!I think it would have been funny however to have stolen a page from the 'YSM' playbook and titled your post something like:Atheism and Christian Fundamentalism......Both Seeds of Satan!--Simularities?That title would get the zealots on both sides going,while only amusing the moderates

Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
What's interesting is that the radicals live in the delusion that what their doing is rational and helpful, when in actuality it is the exact opposite.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What's interesting is that the radicals live in the delusion that what their doing is rational and helpful, when in actuality it is the exact opposite.

The reason, well, one of the reasons, for this is that they never doubt their rightness. One should question all things, even faith and the sciences, and constantly re-evaluate what those beliefs are doing and the results of those beliefs. If one does that, fanaticism, with it's mindless devotion to the truth, would not win out.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
excellent post!I think it would have been funny however to have stolen a page from the 'YSM' playbook and titled your post something like:Atheism and Christian Fundamentalism......Both Seeds of Satan!--Simularities?That title would get the zealots on both sides going,while only amusing the moderates
Indeed, if there is a literal Satan, they both are the seeds there of...that, and who ever the hell told Nickleback they have any talent.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
what they have in common: conviction & friction.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The reason, well, one of the reasons, for this is that they never doubt their rightness.
Ah, the irony of such a line from the guy who in the other thread snapped about how hard it was to be right "so often". //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post11221501

Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Ah, the irony of such a line from the guy who in the other thread snapped about how hard it was to be right "so often". //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post11221501

Right when arguing with pea-brains, be they Atheistic fundie pea-brains, or Christian fundie pea-brains. Yes, I am right when I argue against fanatics, be they Atheist or Christian or any other religion...what's your point?

Ohh, and I never said my religion was the right one: Unlike Atheistic fundie, who believe that Atheism is the one true religion, I will say it again: MY RELIGION IS NOT THE ONE TRUE RELIGION! IT IS THE ONE TRUE RELIGION FOR ME, BUT NOT FOR EVERYONE! ALL OF YOU, WHEN IT COMES TO RELIGION, DO AS JOSEPH CAMPBELL SAID: "FOLLOW YOUR BLISS" THE RELIGION THAT WORKS FOR YOU IS THE TRUE ONE FOR YOU.

Now...will any of the Atheistic or Christian fundies on this board make the same statment? Thought not.

So, do shut-up.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:24 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Atheism is not a religion doofus one.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Atheism is not a religion doofus one.

A religion or not, it has it's fair share of Gurus (Dawkins, Hitchins etc) churches (American Atheist) creeds (no GODs exist, no supernatural etc) and sacred text ( The Origin of Species) as well as it's crusaders (Enver Hoxha, The Cult of Reason) It's own evangelist nutcases:

YouTube - The Trouble with Atheism (2 of 7)
and even suicide bombers, so to speak:

Quote:
"I am a cynical existentialist, anti-human humanist, anti-social social darwinist, realistic idealist and god-like atheist," he [Finnish school shooter] wrote in English in a posting on YouTube.
Finland school shooter admired Hitler and Nietzsche - Yahoo! News UK

So, while not a religion, it sure has all the draw backs and same problems religion have, despite what a few Atheistic fundamentalist claim in spite of the evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality