Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 PM

433 posts, read 587,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1. You can not disapprove God, therefore there is a God.
This is an example "Argument of Ignorance". See: Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theists claim a God of their religion, but refuse to provide any supporting evidence. Instead they ask skeptics to provide evidence.

Theists sometimes can give a slightly different version of this argument such as: "atheists have not proved anything, it's their faith against my faith" (they got nothing on me)
Quote:
2. It's not random, therefore there is a God.
This is an example of "Straw man argument". See:Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who said anything about it's random? Theists try to attack randomness to prove their Gods. Also, how does non-randomness leads to the conclusion of God's existence?

Theists sometimes can give a slightly different version of this argument such as: "Everything in the world is wonderful, interconnected, not random, and therefore it leads to God's conclusion"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
"Ask God sincerely and he will answer."
"What does he sound like?"
"Well it's not a sound, more of a feeling."
"Feelings are easily psychosomatic. How do you know it's not just you?"
"I just know that it's God and not me creating the feeling."

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Ignorance is religion's most used tool.
If the ignorance was removed religion would collapse into a pile of dust.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,167,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Ignorance is religion's most used tool.
If the ignorance was removed religion would collapse into a pile of dust.
Well the major religions of today would, but I could think up a number of religions that would thrive under the removal of scientific ignorance from the general public.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:26 AM

354 posts, read 749,658 times
in defense of my belief, even after numerous breakthrough DISCOVERIES of science, starting with galileo's round earth. there are a LOT of aspects in our life that science JUST can't answer. how did the big bang started? whats the point of aging to our evolution? why must we die? why do only humans speak not the animals,plants,insects. why do we have diff languages, dialect, accents. why do we feel the need to love and be loved? those DNAs, those genes and their importance were DISCOVERED, not made by science.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:31 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Inasmuch as there are questions for which the natural explanations are unknown, it does not mean natural explanations do not exist; they could be waiting to be discovered. And it certainly doesn't mean that your favorite supernatural explanation is the actual explanation. There are an infinite number of possible supernatural explanations from fairies to gremlins to black magic to Xenu to Zeus and giants.

Questions don't rule out possible explanations. Answers rule out possible explanations. It is a logical fallacy to think that the existence of unanswered questions serves as support for the Hebrew God's existence.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:25 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
in defense of my belief, even after numerous breakthrough DISCOVERIES of science, starting with galileo's round earth. there are a LOT of aspects in our life that science JUST can't answer. how did the big bang started?
How do you know we CAN'T answer this?

Quote:
whats the point of aging to our evolution? why must we die? why do only humans speak not the animals,plants,insects. why do we have diff languages, dialect, accents. why do we feel the need to love and be loved? those DNAs, those genes and their importance were DISCOVERED, not made by science.
Noted. Add "misrepresent science in an attempt to create god of the gaps arguments" to the list of poorly-thought out theist arguments for gods.

But to answer the original question, I think the two most common I've seen is "you can't know anything for sure, therefore I can claim I'm absolutely sure god exists" and the argument from design.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,178 times
"My religion has many followers, therefore it's right" argument is pretty stupid and very commonly spouced. It's like those annoying ads that go 1,000,000 americans can't be wrong!

Now, If you want insane arguments then go to any creationist website.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM

661 posts, read 1,184,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
in defense of my belief, even after numerous breakthrough DISCOVERIES of science, starting with galileo's round earth. there are a LOT of aspects in our life that science JUST can't answer. how did the big bang started? whats the point of aging to our evolution? why must we die? why do only humans speak not the animals,plants,insects. why do we have diff languages, dialect, accents. why do we feel the need to love and be loved? those DNAs, those genes and their importance were DISCOVERED, not made by science.
And from that we deduce that the God of the Bible is the Creator? He is just one answer out of millions dreampt up by mankind to make sense of things when people were largely ignorant of science.

There may be an intelligence somewhere out there that initiated the spark of life. I dont know and probably will never know, unless it shows itself.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
And from that we deduce that the God of the Bible is the Creator? He is just one answer out of millions dreampt up by mankind to make sense of things when people were largely ignorant of science.

There may be an intelligence somewhere out there that initiated the spark of life. I dont know and probably will never know, unless it shows itself.
This thought train is unacceptable to the theist.

It is an either/or situation.

Either you prove my belief wrong (to their own impossible standards of course) or you have proven me correct.

Continuing faulty thought process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality