Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,972,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
You are in my prayers. May God Bless you.

Already has. In my culture, we call it Numu Ahpu - Father of the Comanche People. I see no reason for you to follow our way. Why should I follow yours?

Last edited by Fullback32; 01-07-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,613,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Speaking about the weather...YOU GUYS need to figure out how to control it. That would solve all kinds of problems!
You guys keep blowing about you got the ear of the big guy, sooooooooooo why don't you guys talk to he/she/it about the weather?

Personally I recognize that weather is a natural force, and though I don't always like the current weather, it is what it is and I can deal with that.

Why do church steeples have lightening rods? Why did I see a church destroyed in a tornado (in January yet ) on the evening news this week?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,640,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
When rifleman and others mention some ultra-zealous Christians who sometimes infer that they might prefer their religion interjected into our government, I notice many Christians on this forum are shocked, taken aback, etc. They may think, "What in the world? I've never known any Christians like that. Where are these people getting the idea that Christians go around acting like that?" I should point out that, compared to many of the Christians I know personally in "real life", most of the Christians on this board are quite reasonable and do no disservice to their religion at all (quite the opposite, usually). Unfortunately not all are like that, and in the more insane parts of the country they seem to be very much in the minority.

For example, just yesterday I heard my boss, with no sign of sarcasm or humor, state that all homosexuals should be castrated. No doubt many reading this will think this person is a unique case, but I hear comments similar to this multiple times a week, from a wide range of people who all claim to be Christians. If asked about interjecting their religion into our government or otherwise forcing it upon others, some would flat out admit that this is what they would like to see. Others would claim they would never want to force their beliefs upon others, yet they will fully support publicly held prayers in school, the Ten Commandments displayed in courthouses or any other government buildings, their particular brand of creationism taught in public schools, etc. For whatever reason, they don't see this as forcing their beliefs upon anyone. Sometimes I read posts on this board just to be reminded that all Christians are, in fact, NOT like this, thankfully.
Oh I know Christians like a bit of that. My Dad used to say homosexuality should be a death penalty offense, but he's softened and now just favors they all be in mental asylums. However my Dad was pretty hostile to homosexuals when he was atheist/agnostic so I'm not sure religion is the only factor there. In his day secular thought was that homosexuality was a psychological ailment so when dealing with people over 60 I'm not always sure how big a role religion plays in their thinking on the matter. I'd have to get to know them first. Generally it seems a bigger issue for women who take such a hard-line. Women who say things like "homosexuality is an executable offense" I think are more likely to bring up the Bible than men I've seen like that. A certain percent of men seem creeped out by male homosexuality in a way women aren't creeped out by lesbianism. (Although the women I mentioned who feel so strongly on homosexuality actually don't care for lesbians, but I don't think it inspires as strong of a personal reaction for them. My Dad's views are complicated because Southern family loyalty is big with him. He would likely support a law putting homosexuals in mental institutions and break that law to keep his nephew or maybe me out of them)

According to Gallup 9% of Americans believe the Bible should be "the only source of legislation" with another 46% thinking it should be "a source." This is higher than Turkish people on questions about Shariah.

Majorities See Religion and Democracy as Compatible

And I've known Catholics, my faith, who remove books from the public library because they deal with non-Christian religions. The resident atheist in my little town objected, but you might be pleased to know my ultra-Catholic Mom (who occasionally tried to convert him) also objected. So I do know it happens even with people of my faith.

I just dislike blanket statements about "The Christians" doing this, that, or the other. Or that atheists "Never" do this, that, or the other. Both Christians and atheists are diverse groups of people. Also I think ultimately the people who really want to "Christianize the state" are too poor, uneducated, and fragmented by denominational differences to do much effective.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,690,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You guys keep blowing about you got the ear of the big guy, sooooooooooo why don't you guys talk to he/she/it about the weather?

Personally I recognize that weather is a natural force, and though I don't always like the current weather, it is what it is and I can deal with that.

Why do church steeples have lightening rods? Why did I see a church destroyed in a tornado (in January yet ) on the evening news this week?
Thanks Ash Nat...you hadn't cranked me in a bit...and I'd thought I had lost your interest in it.
Don't worry though...Merc C has been picking up your slack.

AGAIN...the "Big Guy" isn't some dude you stop by His shop, or ring up on His cell to ask for favors. It doesn't work like that.

God gave us dominion over the earth...so, IMO that would include the weather. I've got my own work to do...so I'll leave that up to the scientists to figure out how it works, and how to deal with it.

After all, wouldn't it be handy if, as you responded to a fire, you could call in some rain clouds to pour on what was burning? Like the cloud that would follow around above the Coyote in the Roadrunner cartoons.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 1,548 times
Hahahahahahahaha I Admit Openly & Freely i am a Atheist & For Right Reasons... Why I Don't believe in Fairy Tales...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,876,480 times
I consider Atheism and Agnosticism as religions.

Religion is not part of my reality so I have no grounds to believe or disbelieve.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 07-15-2018 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 AM

23,321 posts, read 10,620,963 times
See a lot of people saying how loving Christians are, but we don't have to guess, we actually have 2000 years of history to look at. But suddenly Christians aren't so dangerous anymore? Let's wait another 1000 years.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,667,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
See a lot of people saying how loving Christians are, but we don't have to guess, we actually have 2000 years of history to look at. But suddenly Christians aren't so dangerous anymore? Let's wait another 1000 years.
yeah, that's not in question by most people. But even when we look at the "killing in the name of christians", the big ones weren't really done in the name of the religion. Look at the euros taking over the america's. they used religion, a bit, but the reason wasn't the religion.

then, look at mao, lenin, that chinese war, stalin, kruschev, and poh pot. they alone blow any christian stuff out of the water.

muslims today are the most dangerous people. and you are right, for now that is. It could/will change.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM

23,321 posts, read 10,620,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, that's not in question by most people. But even when we look at the "killing in the name of christians", the big ones weren't really done in the name of the religion. Look at the euros taking over the america's. they used religion, a bit, but the reason wasn't the religion.

then, look at mao, lenin, that chinese war, stalin, kruschev, and poh pot. they alone blow any christian stuff out of the water.

muslims today are the most dangerous people. and you are right, for now that is. It could/will change.
Has to change doesn't it?

Aint no doubt about it.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,690,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

The guy rifleman that started this thread way back when...you woulda loved that guy.
He has passed...but will always be one of the all time favorites of this forum.
Lookup some of his stuff and check it out. You'll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality