Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM

707 posts, read 688,113 times

Advertisements

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dha_WatPho.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times

Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro

Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I've never seen this statue shot at this angle. It is usually from the top. Nice.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
This one is referred to as Chinnarat Buddha and is frequently copied for it's uniquely elegant style. It's located at Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat (also known as Wat Yai) in Phitsanulok, Thailand, which is in Northern Thailand. It's fairly close to Sukhothai. I believe it's made of brass.

Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the one I have a replica of in my house, on my alter in my "meditation room." Arguably the most most famous Buddha in Thailand, with the possible exception of the highly regarded "Emerald Buddha" in Bangkok. I especially love the flaming "halo" that surrounds the Tathagata (Buddha Siddhartha Gautama).

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma Sambuddhasa .

Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Why does a religion that shuns material possession so much have a giant statue made out of gold? They're not attached to it so they build with it?
Because it's an act of devotion and it makes the people who created it feel good. That's all.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This is the one I have a replica of in my house, on my alter in my "meditation room." Arguably the most most famous Buddha in Thailand, with the possible exception of the highly regarded "Emerald Buddha" in Bangkok. I especially love the flaming "halo" that surrounds the Tathagata (Buddha Siddhartha Gautama).

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma Sambuddhasa .
I bought one years ago at the Wat Yai in P-louk for my wife. She was born in Sukhothai, which isn't too far away. They had sort of a weekend market on the grounds of the Wat where you could buy jeans, t-shirts, snacks and you name in, and also had replicas from the Wat. The overall maket was probably a fund-raiser for the Wat. I'm not sure if they still do that or not. The replica I got is pretty small, and probably made of plastic, but it's housed in a nice case and looks great.

Never really have understood why the image at Wat Phra Keow in BKK is called "Emerald Buddha" since it's made of green jadeite. Still, it's very impressive and indeed well-known. I believe photos of it are not allowed inside, apart from special consent, although if you're outdoors and have a good telephoto lens...

Old 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM

BTW, albeit much smaller, a real Emerald Buddha, carved from a single natural emerald crystal, and stands aprox. 6" high.

Also just for laughs (and it kinda fits the season):

Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
isn't it amazing how the sun seems to be haloing this Christ the Redeemer statue...it looks just like how the Christ has been historically pictured throughout times. nice picture.

all the posted pictures have been so wonderful! thanks everyone of you.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,955 times
Quote:
BTW, albeit much smaller, a real Emerald Buddha, carved from a single natural emerald crystal, and stands aprox. 6" high.
WOW, Mateo, that's an amazingly impressive and enormous gemstone. Thanks for the link. Yeah, you're right, that definitely is a genuine emerald Buddha. It looks like it's now privately owned. I wonder who the owner is?

I think I stated that what's on display is jadeite, but I've also heard it's a piece of jasper. In either case, it's still impressive and almost seems to have a glow to it. Here's the thing though. The famous image at Wat Phra Keow ("keow" simply meaning "green" in Thai) in Bangkok, was rediscovered in Northern Thailand in 1434, meaning it had been around well before that year. Regardless, it's known in English as the "Emerald Buddha", but I'm still not certain exactly where the description of "Emerald" came from since it's obviously not an emerald nor is the color similar to emerald.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM

I think I've also seen where the Emerald has a lot of symbolism in asian iconography. For example it symbolizes the heart chakra, it's also one of the "seven precious substances of Buddhism", and is often associated with the Hindu god Garuda (who's of course very popular in Thailand).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality