Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

Baptist is a legitimate, mainstream Protestant demomination. Tends to run toward the fundamentalist end of the spectrum but still within the mainstream of Christian dogma.

AOG is a cult full of hucksters and the lunatics they take advantage of. Speaking in tongues, faith healing, demon possession, snake handling is just some of the crazy stuff that goes on in the AOG churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I find this thread interesting as while I currently attend an independent "fundamental" baptist church, while my brother and his wife attend the AOG.

I can't speak for the AOG, but in my experience the Baptist church does believe in spiritual gifts that are of today. They just don't believe "speaking in tongues" or what not is evidence one is Saved. The Scriptures talk about inspecting fruits to "know them" (meaning Christians) not gifts. While the Baptist church I attend does stress Salvation by Faith alone apart from Works (ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans 3,4,5), it also stresses the imporance of living the Christian life producing "fruit". I have grasped that the AOG puts their people in more of a "bondage"/works kind of salvation. I find it kind of ridiculous that one must "speak in tongues" in order to be saved and neither does that have any Scriptural support. Fruit is evidence of salvation not gifts.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
We identify Christians by their "fruit"(what they do).

Matthew 7

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

"speaking in tongues" are for a sign to them that "believe not".

1 Corinthians 14

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

It makes me wonder how these groups miss this when it's clearly stated. And how big is the AOG?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I'm just back from a long absence. I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

First, the last time I checked, the Assembly of God is a denomination. The Assemblies of God are a group of denominations who are similar but not the same.

Second, I think one's experiences in any Pentecostal church are likely to vary widely depending on the specific denomination, what part of the nation its in, and its pastor/congregation.

Third, many of the Assemblies of God don't go in for mega-churches, and many mega-churches are not part of the Assemblies of God. Mega-churches are Protestant, and most of them are fundamentalists, but that doesn't mean they're Pentecostal.

Fourth, just because a church calls itself a such-and-such religion doesn't mean that it is exactly like all of the such-and-such churches. One example that comes to mind is the Westboro Baptist Church. They call themselves Baptist, but that does not mean that other Baptist churches are anything like them.

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes
The Assemblies of God is ONE denomination that is headquarteed in Springfield, MO. I believe they are about as large as all the other Pentecostal and Holiness churches put together regarding membership.

Generally the Assemblies are different than other Pentecostal/Holiness groups in that they believe in the triune god and not in the "oneness" doctrime.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
From waht I can tell, not a whole lot. They both seem to hate the other, and both are very fear based and negative. I am not sure about all the fine details, AOG may be more charismatic and "pentocostal"
Personally, I avoid both like I avoid HIV

I did some photos for an assembly of god youth group, the were nice enough and paid on time but they were also very "isolated" and saw the rest of the world as "evil" and tried to keep within their own social group for the most part.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The Assemblies of God is ONE denomination that is headquarteed in Springfield, MO. I believe they are about as large as all the other Pentecostal and Holiness churches put together regarding membership.

Generally the Assemblies are different than other Pentecostal/Holiness groups in that they believe in the triune god and not in the "oneness" doctrime.
I know this is a pretty old post, but the General Council of the Assemblies of God is the U.S. branch of the worldwide fellowship. It is one of the largest Pentecostal groups, but the Church of God in Christ, headquartered in Memphis, is the largest Pentecostal organization in the U.S. However, the World Assemblies of God Fellowship is by far the largest worldwide.

In terms of pure numbers, most Pentecostal groups are Trinitarian in their doctrine: Assemblies of God, Church of God in Christ, Church of God, International Pentecostal Holiness Church, Pentecostal Church of God, Church of God of Prophecy, etc. There are several Oneness Pentecostal bodies out there (e.g., United Pentecostal Church International, Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, etc.) but in totality are in the minority, albeit a sizable one.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
We go to any Assembly of God church, and I was reared Southern Baptist.

In the AOG church I have never heard make-up, dancing or movies discussed. All of the women are quite fashionable. Last week they focused on the college grads. 2/3 of the group were masters and Phd's.

I think the biggest difference in the two is that the Southern Baptists, on paper anyway, think the gifts of the Holy Spirit have ceased.
I briefly attended an urban AOG megachurch in the 1980s and do not recall any proscriptions against makeup and the like. My guess is that this is more of a thing with their rural congregations.

I agree that the biggest difference is their orientation to the charismatic movement. If found it cloying and obnoxious and did not last long at that church.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,007 times
To clarify- I currently attend an Assemblies of God church. We have nothing against dancing( many dance while worshiping and all the teens go to their school dances or take dance lessons) wearing makeup, and even many of my church members drink, including the pasters son, who is an intern in the children's department. Also we don't believe our religion is the only true way... We believe those who call upon Jesus are saved. For those who need to be "re-saved" as someone put it, are those who stop believing in their heart that Jesus was raised from the dead, is the son of God, and lived a sinless life. (Going off the verse that says "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality