Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 PM

18 posts, read 57,753 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

You may have heard about the story, run on 20/20 and other news stations a few months back - about the Westboro Baptist Church, led by Pastor Fred Phelps?

What do you think about their philosophy...I know that they anti-gay extremists...but have you seen some of the signs that they carry, the songs they sing - do you think that they're taking God's word a bit too far?

I'm also anti-gay, but I realize that they are people as well, and they don't deserve to be shunned, I'm just against that lifestyle.

Do you think that the WBC is taking things a bit too far???

Dean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM

I'm sorry. I should have clarified.

I a 17 year old high school senior, personally, am against homosexuality. But, it is up to every individual person to choose their orientation.

I have a friend who is a lesbian. Do I support her decision? No. But she is a dear friend to me, despite her choices.

I didn't mean to offend you, by any means. I just don't suppor the idea of homosexuality. I realize that people of your orientation are people as well, and you shouldn't be shunned - it's just that I personally don't agree with homosexuality and think that's it wrong - it's just my personal opinion.

I am not breaking the 2nd commandment - I love my friend who is a lesbian, (she was my primary nurse when I was born prematurely). I think that the comment you made on me breaking the 2nd commandment was a bit off, but let's not turn this into a debate, shall we? I was asking about the WBC views - do you think that they're taking this too far?

Dean

Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbean View Post

Dean

I nominate this post for biggest understatement of the year..

WBC is the epitome of stupidity and hate ...rolled into a tortilla made out of racism and a little dab of venom.

I hope Mr. Phelps succumbs to a long painful death.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Yes, and that is saying it WAY too nicely.
Those people don't deserve an ounce of attention or respect and (at the risk of getting myself an infraction) if the WBC have any supporters on this forum who are allowed to speak up for the Phelps cause here, then I will probably not be back myself. I won't listen to or condone that hate-speech.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,916 times
I'm disgusted by the WBC and "Pastor" Fred Phelps. This church in no way shape or form represents Christianity IMHO. I believe Phelps and his congregation will get what they deserve in the end.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:01 PM

I completely agree with all of you! When I saw the piece on 20/20, I was absolutely disgusted with what they did and said. They are so disgusting.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Homosexuality is not a "lifestyle" nor is it a "choice", and it will continue to appear since it is a variation found in many species.

As to the Wetboro Baptist Church and Fred Phelps. It is sad that people would wonder if they go "too far."

WWJD.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
so what is your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Homosexuality is not a "lifestyle" nor is it a "choice", and it will continue to appear since it is a variation found in many species.

As to the Wetboro Baptist Church and Fred Phelps. It is sad that people would wonder if they go "too far."

WWJD.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:20 PM

103 posts, read 92,404 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I should have clarified.
I a 17 year old high school senior, personally, am against homosexuality. But, it is up to every individual person to choose their orientation.
You mean like they choose their race, sex, eye & hair color etc ?

Quote:
I have a friend who is a lesbian. Do I support her decision? No. But she is a dear friend to me, despite her choices.
Frankly I'm surprise she is your friend considering your apparent ignorance of sexual orientation. Have you discussed with her your position that her inborn sexual preference is a "choice"? If so, I would think she'd have educated you on the matter by now.

Quote:
I am not breaking the 2nd commandment - I love my friend who is a lesbian, (she was my primary nurse when I was born prematurely). I think that the comment you made on me breaking the 2nd commandment was a bit off, but let's not turn this into a debate, shall we? I was asking about the WBC views - do you think that they're taking this too far?
The WBC are really no different than any other Christian fundamentalists. They're just more open and outspoken in their bigotry.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:21 PM

103 posts, read 92,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
so what is your point?
The point is pretty clear. If you didn't get it then there's point in explaining it further...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality