Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,975,190 times

Advertisements

not really. He said What would Jesus do at the end of his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
The point is pretty clear. If you didn't get it then there's point in explaining it further...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 12,955 times
Fred phelps is a backwoods dirtbag. I dont care what issues you have against homosexuals.. you NEVER disrespect a young man who has fallen in the line of duty. They are doing us a favor (you too old fred)and fighting for our freedom. This kind of bastard shouldn't be allowed to do this crap but he is protected by the whole free speech garbage (give me a fu**ing break). I am about to lose my mind becuase i cannot begin to comprehend why he would protest a striaght soldiers funeral becuase he "fought for a country that supports homosexuality". Get the hell out of here fred, becuase you have done nothing productive except give birth to some ugly sheltered red neck children who will do nothing but keep this joke of a church alive when your old ass croaks. I hope you burn in hell old man, becuase you are the exact kind of person who makes this country a friggen joke. God bless all my peers who are overseas, becuase thanks to them i am free to be a full time union member and college student. I live comfortably becuase of the men and women who die day in and day out to keep us safe. I am coming to your church freddy, just wait old man.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,717 times
Something that bothers me about this whole "They're not real Christians" thing is that religious people never fail to make claims that people are "Not real Christians, not real Muslims, etc... etc.." It seems to me that with all of the rampant abuse of the Bible, Koran, etc... that that is in fact Christianity, or that is in fact Islam. Who are you (anyone in particular) to determine who or what a Christian is? Just because it doesn't fit into your particular little model of what you believe a Christian is doesn't mean that others aren't Christians. I've always thought that Christians believed that Jesus died for their sins and rose on the third day and they accepted him into their hearts?? To my knowledge, the WBC doesn't say anything like that. Yes, their practices are rather horrible and despicable, and from what I understand about Jesus, don't necessarily go along with his teachings.

However, I thought the whole point of Jesus dying on the cross was allegedly so that we could be forgiven of our sins? So, I'm in a bit of a conundrum... aren't they REALLY Christians? Are their "sins" on a greater scale in your god's eyes than what a typical human does in his/her life? Sure, they may not act as Jesus would hope, but then again, find me a person who does... So, I dare say, that they are indeed Christians however much you Christians may not like that idea.

That being said, I think the WBC is a despicable organization. I'm really hoping that Rev. Phelps gets busted for tax evasion or some other crime and his organization gets shut down.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM

969 posts, read 2,854,542 times
ANYONE who would attend the funeral of a fallen soldier to promote some homophobic agenda..................

Well - as the saying goes on a tshirt I have:

"If you are unwilling to stand behind our soldiers.........feel free to stand in FRONT of them"

http://www.patriotguard.org/

I believe in freedom of speech - but the desecration of a soldier's funeral with his warped agenda goes beyond the pale

I would like to send in the Marines,

Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 PM

599 posts, read 1,261,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Something that bothers me about this whole "They're not real Christians" thing is that religious people never fail to make claims that people are "Not real Christians, not real Muslims, etc... etc.." It seems to me that with all of the rampant abuse of the Bible, Koran, etc... that that is in fact Christianity, or that is in fact Islam. Who are you (anyone in particular) to determine who or what a Christian is? Just because it doesn't fit into your particular little model of what you believe a Christian is doesn't mean that others aren't Christians. I've always thought that Christians believed that Jesus died for their sins and rose on the third day and they accepted him into their hearts?? To my knowledge, the WBC doesn't say anything like that. Yes, their practices are rather horrible and despicable, and from what I understand about Jesus, don't necessarily go along with his teachings.

However, I thought the whole point of Jesus dying on the cross was allegedly so that we could be forgiven of our sins? So, I'm in a bit of a conundrum... aren't they REALLY Christians? Are their "sins" on a greater scale in your god's eyes than what a typical human does in his/her life? Sure, they may not act as Jesus would hope, but then again, find me a person who does... So, I dare say, that they are indeed Christians however much you Christians may not like that idea.

That being said, I think the WBC is a despicable organization. I'm really hoping that Rev. Phelps gets busted for tax evasion or some other crime and his organization gets shut down.
Matthew 7:16-20
16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

This is how we as Christians can tell whether or not others who call themselves Christians, are truly what they claim to be. I can't see the WBC bearing much good fruit, therefore I don't consider them to be a true Christian church....simple as that.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 PM

969 posts, read 2,854,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

This is how we as Christians can tell whether or not others who call themselves Christians, are truly what they claim to be. I can't see the WBC bearing much good fruit, therefore I don't consider them to be a true Christian church....simple as that.
I am just glad they are not Jewish.

To me - they are worse than a plague of locusts - or the Pharoh - or Hitler.

How DARE you use a soldier funeral to spew your godless BS. Here is a challenge Fred - show up at the Grasonville, Maryland VFW Post 7464 - VFW Avenue - Grasonville, MD 21638 (there is a tank in our front yard - can't miss it)

Call for directions 410/827-8194

I can assure you that we will be there to meet you.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post

No, I understand that Deb. The thing is that is how you interpret the Bible. That is not how they might interpret it, yet the Bible is the basis for the Christian belief. We can call them weird, odd, mean, despicable, even stupid for their 'misinterpretation' but they think that what they believe is god's message and they use the Bible as their supporting evidence. I think you still have to call them Christians. Perhaps radical, ignoramouses of the Christian faith, but Christians nonetheless.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,562,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
The WBC are really no different than any other Christian fundamentalists. They're just more open and outspoken in their bigotry.
That's quite a leap. I know many Christian fundamentals who believe that the WBC crowd and Phelps are whack-jobs. Christian fundamentals can believe that homosexuality is a sin, no different that overabuse of alcohol, cheating on your spouse, or stealing... to most of them that does not translate to hate for the person doing that sin... they can still see the individual as a person, but not approve of the sin.

The problem with the WBC crowd is they can't make the seperation that I see most Christians making (including fundamentals) of hate the sin but don't hate the sinner. WBC hates the sin AND the sinner - the Christian fundamentals I know have the sin but NOT the sinner.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:12 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,075,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

They are fanatical Christians who abuse the text to fit their own agenda.. much like any other fanatical religious group.

In their mind they are Christians.. just like in the mind of a three year old there really is a Santa..

However, to the overwhelming majority of Christians.. they are not Christians.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
They are fanatical Christians who abuse the text to fit their own agenda.. much like any other fanatical religious group.

In their mind they are Christians.. just like in the mind of a three year old there really is a Santa..

However, to the overwhelming majority of Christians.. they are not Christians.
I understand that and you quantified my point for me. In their minds they are Christians AND that's all that matters to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality