Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I just wanted to tell you what a great parent I think you are. Every child should be so lucky to have their parent stand behind them and love them the way you have shown to love your daughter.
My father's father is also a... well, an interesting case. He almost disowned by father for marrying my mother. My father was Jewish and my mother is Japanese. My grandfather actually told my father to parade his Asian conquest around somewhere else. My dad told him - if I have to choose between you and my wife, the choice is easy. Bye Dad! But eventually my grandfather came around and now he has a Samoan girlfriend. He's still a... well, let me just say that he really isn't capable of real love. But at least he's stayed around.
Thank you for the parenting compliment. I've done the best i could with my daughter and now I try to be a good pop pop too. i've tried real hard to do things the opposite way my dad would have. Cool story about your pop and it's good to see grandpop settle down a little. Most of the old timers soften little with age and my dad really has except for this one topic. I suppose it will/has destroyed our realtionship. Fortunately I have 5 siblings in my corner 100%

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
the hate from some of the poster's is palatable. i think because some of them are gay and the bigotry of others brings out the hate in them. so much hate in this world

Not necessarily, The smart azzz remarks directed towards me was simply because I am Jewish and I dared to have an opinion. Most of the opinions were heartfelt. Many of the negatives were directed towards a religion that would somehow give reinforcement to shunning someone simply because they are gay.

I have 3 kids and our children grow up to lead their lives independent of us and they need our acceptance. If my kids grew up to be gay and their grandparents had issue with that enough to treat them badly I would be a mother lion for them.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymom View Post
not necessarily, the smart azzz remarks directed towards me was simply because i am jewish and i dared to have an opinion. Most of the opinions were heartfelt. Many of the negatives were directed towards a religion that would somehow give reinforcement to shunning someone simply because they are gay.

I have 3 kids and our children grow up to lead their lives independent of us and they need our acceptance. If my kids grew up to be gay and their grandparents had issue with that enough to treat them badly i would be a mother lion for them.
roaaarr !!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Not necessarily, The smart azzz remarks directed towards me was simply because I am Jewish and I dared to have an opinion. Most of the opinions were heartfelt. Many of the negatives were directed towards a religion that would somehow give reinforcement to shunning someone simply because they are gay.

I have 3 kids and our children grow up to lead their lives independent of us and they need our acceptance. If my kids grew up to be gay and their grandparents had issue with that enough to treat them badly I would be a mother lion for them.
i feel hate towards my bigoted old man from gay people. it's here, i feel it. he spews enough hate himself. hate wont fix hate.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
i feel hate towards my bigoted old man from gay people. it's here, i feel it. he spews enough hate himself. hate wont fix hate.
My dad always said the only people that he was bigotted against were bigots! But my dad was nice to everyone. I try to do the same. Treating others badly doesn't really help anything. I mean - I stand up for what I think it right and I don't always hold my tongue - but I still try to be nice to everyone. Also - I find that people are more apt to actually listen to what I have to say and maybe even learn something from me if I approach them with kindness and humor. When you yell - people usually just stop listening. I know I do!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:

You are correct hate won't fix hate... I have no idea who is gay here, I have not picked that up.. I have picked up the distaste about a religion that people use to hurt others...

I certainly have picked up an anti Christian feeling, but I really think it is about the hurting of another in the name of religion...

I also think that when people are on the recieving end of hate they tend to get their backs up quickly.

Many people not just gays are on the recieving end of others bad behavior....

I have also picked up over and over that family is important and we should not turn our backs on them no matter and especially not use religion to justify hurting another because their choices are seen as wrong.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You are correct hate won't fix hate... I have no idea who is gay here, I have not picked that up.. I have picked up the distaste about a religion that people use to hurt others...

I certainly have picked up an anti Christian feeling, but I really think it is about the hurting of another in the name of religion...

I also think that when people are on the recieving end of hate they tend to get their backs up quickly.

Many people not just gays are on the recieving end of others bad behavior....

I have also picked up over and over that family is important and we should not turn our backs on them no matter and especially not use religion to justify hurting another because their choices are seen as wrong.
agree with you post. i'm very lucky to have the family i have. my dad is an anomily. you would have to know him for the last 81 years to get it. it's maddening.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
I'm not Gay and I do not hate your father but the person you describe I would certainly despise and have absolutely no respect for. Bigots always get my back up. Like Bullies. In fact both bullies and bigots are usually the same.

I cannot abide either. They make my skin crawl, I have been allergic to injustice and unfairness since I was a child. It makes me come out in a rash .

Respect is earned not a given and it sounds to me as though your Father deserves nil respect if his actions are anything to go by.

And you are right, hatred does not fix anything. Two wrongs do not a right make but I guess some feelings run high and cannot be avoided.

My advice to people dealing with bigots is to ignore them, nothing seems to infuriate them more. I realise he is your Father and I am sure like most people you have little desire to make waves when it comes to family.

Sometimes though you have to stand up for what you believe is right but also stand up for those who are being treated badly, even if there is a personal cost.

Parents should not be allowed to get away with rubbish like this simply because we sprung out of their loins and share genetic material with them. A parent at the end of the day is a human being first and there is no excuse for bad behaviour. We often make far too many excuses and put up with way too much simply because of shared DNA, something I simply cannot comprehend.

I personally could not love someone I did not like. If I would not have them as friends, I certainly do not want them as relatives.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
agree with you post. i'm very lucky to have the family i have. my dad is an anomily. you would have to know him for the last 81 years to get it. it's maddening.
I also hope you took my posts as they were intended to advocate for your daughter even against her grandfather who is acting badly.

As mothers we love our children always.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I'm not Gay and I do not hate your father but the person you describe I would certainly despise and have absolutely no respect for. Bigots always get my back up. Like Bullies. In fact both bullies and bigots are usually the same.

I cannot abide either. They make my skin crawl, I have been allergic to injustice and unfairness since I was a child. It makes me come out in a rash .

Respect is earned not a given and it sounds to me as though your Father deserves nil respect if his actions are anything to go by.

And you are right, hatred does not fix anything. Two wrongs do not a right make but I guess some feelings run high and cannot be avoided.

My advice to people dealing with bigots is to ignore them, nothing seems to infuriate them more. I realise he is your Father and I am sure like most people you have little desire to make waves when it comes to family.

Sometimes though you have to stand up for what you believe is right but also stand up for those who are being treated badly, even if there is a personal cost.

Parents should not be allowed to get away with rubbish like this simply because we sprung out of their loins and share genetic material with them. A parent at the end of the day is a human being first and there is no excuse for bad behaviour. We often make far too many excuses and put up with way too much simply because of shared DNA, something I simply cannot comprehend.

I personally could not love someone I did not like. If I would not have them as friends, I certainly do not want them as relatives.
I haven't let him get away with any of it. I've ripped into him good a couple of times and so have others. All 5 of my siblings are at my side. It pisses me off cause he's getting rather old now and it feels wrong to raise my voice but I can't help it. I'm avoiding him which really isn't hard to do, since my mom died he's pretty much a hermit. He and his wife who agrees with everything he says just sit a home every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.