Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
There are some things that are universally true and there are other things that aren't. Like I said before - I know you think my beliefs are wrong. I think your beliefs are wrong. What does it matter? I'm not trying to change your beliefs. I think the world is a more interesting place because we all have different beliefs. Are you just trying to say that you are right and everyone else is wrong? I don't understand what you are trying to prove.
That truth is singular. You might be right about God. I might be right about God. Neither of us might be right about God. Not every belief about God can be the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is is a fact that he believes it (according to Dewdrop). It is not a fact that she's the most beautiful woman in the world (I'm sure she's quite attractive ).

It is his fact....

And given that you don't know him you are not exactly to question it......lol

Truth is in the eye of the beholder...

You believe Jesus is G-d.... that is your truth, not fact.....

My kids are the best kids in the world, that is my fact.....

Dew is the most beautiful....

Fact? or opinion? that is the question........

Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
But that's my point. To my husband - it is a fact. To others, it is not. Mostly because just not everyone has seen me yet. Hahahaha!
It can't be a fact. He hasn't met every woman in the world. It's his opinion, because he loves you.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
It is his fact....

Is the moon made of green cheese, just because I believe it?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
That truth is singular. You might be right about God. I might be right about God. Neither of us might be right about God. Not every belief about God can be the truth.
Since we don't know what the true truth is - we are all entitled to believe our own truth. Maybe we are wrong. Then I suppose it will not be the truth. But since we don't know for sure - we are all free to believe whatever we believe. Really - you're just word playing with me. That's fine. I think you know my point.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Is the moon made of green cheese, just because I believe it?

If you want to make a comment on something I have said please respond to the actual message......

Originally Posted by Jazzymom
It is his fact....

Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Since we don't know what the true truth is - we are all entitled to believe our own truth. Maybe we are wrong. Then I suppose it will not be the truth. But since we don't know for sure - we are all free to believe whatever we believe. Really - you're just word playing with me. That's fine. I think you know my point.
Of course. I never suggested any different.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Interesting that you won't answer my question.

Quote:
If you want to make a comment on something I have said please respond to the actual message......

It is his fact....
It's a fact he believes it, yes.

Quote:
I'm not questioning it. But, his believing it doesn't make it a fact.

Quote:
Is the moon made of green cheese, just because I believe it? Let me answer for you. NO!

Quote:
He either is or isn't.

Quote:
Again, your opinion, not fact (truth). It's subjective.

[/quote]

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM

946 posts, read 2,918,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Questioning your beliefs is a good thing. It is part of the maturation process.

People like to believe there is some sort of justice in the world. The world can seem like a pretty horrible place if you can't. Who wouldn't like for good people to be rewarded and for bad people to be punished?
I have been around long enough to accept that life isn't fair at all.

I know it feels like you inherently know good and evil, but IMHO the views you hold are a reflection of the culture you were raised in.

There are plenty of people who believe in god and also believe in science and evolution. You don't have to believe in Adam and Eve, many see such stories from the bible as parables.
I'll have to disagree here. I don't like to believe that people get rewarded or punished for what they do because I WANT to believe it or because I want to believe we live in a just world, it's just something that I feel within me, I can't explain it. I don't believe that what we feel to be good or evil is a reflection of our society or culture, I believe it's something within most of us (except psychopaths or psychologically messed up people), I believe we were born knowing what is good and bad because we are moral and conscious creatures, we are capable of knowing when we cause pain to others and when we don't. I think there are absolute ideas about what is "good" and "evil" and it is not relative. But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I'll have to disagree here. I don't like to believe that people get rewarded or punished for what they do because I WANT to believe it or because I want to believe we live in a just world, it's just something that I feel within me, I can't explain it. I don't believe that what we feel to be good or evil is a reflection of our society or culture, I believe it's something within most of us (except psychopaths or psychologically messed up people), I believe we were born knowing what is good and bad because we are moral and conscious creatures, we are capable of knowing when we cause pain to others and when we don't. I think there are absolute ideas about what is "good" and "evil" and it is not relative. But that's just my opinion.
It seems you do WANT to believe we live in a just world. The evidence shows otherwise. If you believe there is some sort of justice in an afterlife, that is fine for you, but there is no evidence to support it.

Do you believe the same things are good or bad in all cultures?
Do you agree with the cultures that believe genital mutilation of girls is good?
How about the cultures that practiced human sacrifice? To them, that was a good thing.

I could go on and on with more examples of things people do in different cultures that you would think are wrong. And they would think are right.

That would make morals relative to the culture they are practiced in, wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality