Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
There is zero faith involved in science - it is all evidence based. Religion, otoh, is total faith. Science does not have all the answers (like orign of life) but that is because it does not seek to answer such questions. Science has explained way way way more phenomenon than any holy book - and that gap is increasing daily. In fact, religion is supposed to have answers like why we are all here etc and I don't see any religion having "the" answer - even after thousands of years; I doubt they ever will.
Faith is involved. We take what we see as evidence and make up theories for the most part. Some things can be proven. But, until we get fly around in space and explore the galaxy and universe, we will never really know. So anything to do with creation of the world and universe is in fact a big educated guess of the "fact" we have available. Why else would science change?

Why would we think that we evolved from one thing now and years down the road find evidence that we evolved from something else that may have died off but didn't know about? Refresh my memory, how many "missing links" have they found?

Actually, many religions do have theories of why we are here. As does science. Science does have theories of why we are here and how we got here. Theories may be based on science, but they are mostly guessing when they put the evidence together.

Take history, I love history. The part I love about it is that we have some evidence, but are still missing a lot of info. We are mostly guessing what happened pre-written language. Even after written language we don't have all the facts, why? Because the winners are the ones who write history.

I love science, history, philosophy and religion. I don't think you can have one without the other is some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You cannot compare religion with science...Science is in the business of discovering the hows and whys, whereas religion claims to know the hows and whys...There is no faith involved in science, nor should there be.
I am surprised that people can't see the amount of faith that is involved in science. Not all faiths claim to know everything, some do. Many faiths are very open to interpretation. Let me ask you this...

When you see a baby being born of any species, is it not a beautiful thing? Are there not a ton of emotions involved? Wouldn't you say that it is an amazing thing to witness? Maybe even a bit, spiritual? Or does your mind start thinking of all the science involved?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Faith is involved. We take what we see as evidence and make up theories for the most part. Some things can be proven. But, until we get fly around in space and explore the galaxy and universe, we will never really know. So anything to do with creation of the world and universe is in fact a big educated guess of the "fact" we have available. Why else would science change?

Why would we think that we evolved from one thing now and years down the road find evidence that we evolved from something else that may have died off but didn't know about? Refresh my memory, how many "missing links" have they found?

Actually, many religions do have theories of why we are here. As does science. Science does have theories of why we are here and how we got here. Theories may be based on science, but they are mostly guessing when they put the evidence together.

Take history, I love history. The part I love about it is that we have some evidence, but are still missing a lot of info. We are mostly guessing what happened pre-written language. Even after written language we don't have all the facts, why? Because the winners are the ones who write history.

I love science, history, philosophy and religion. I don't think you can have one without the other is some way.
Nothing wrong with what you love - just that science is not faith-based. When science does an experiment, it postulates / theorizes and - this is important - then attempts to prove/ disprove it. If you define this as faith, I guess we define things differently. Religion states something and wants you to believe it (without verification) - and that is faith in my book. Most religious people discourage their flock from looking at other religions - science encourages more investigation because it is not faith-based.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Nothing wrong with what you love - just that science is not faith-based. When science does an experiment, it postulates / theorizes and - this is important - then attempts to prove/ disprove it. If you define this as faith, I guess we define things differently. Religion states something and wants you to believe it (without verification) - and that is faith in my book.

To theorize is to guess or assume. You may have some evidence but without all of it, you are going of faith with your findings. Faith doesn't just apply to religion. To say that I have faith in someone is to simply say that I believe in someone, that I think they will succeed.

Quote:
Most religious people discourage their flock from looking at other religions - science encourages more investigation because it is not faith-based.
That is why I don't attend any church or claim to be of any faith. I study all faiths at random. I have read the bible and am reading a few other books on various religions. I am simply a knowledge junkie.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I do not want my kids learning any form of religious ideology concerning creation in school......

I want them to learn science and I want them to learn scientific views on creation......

I do not want my kids being mixed up by the various views on creation unless it is to learn about the stories different religions have...

Because that is what they are...... Stories....... Not fact.......
Is the Jewish version of creation fictional?

Quote:
My kids are learning about the various religions now at their religious school.
They are not learning about them from the view that we are right and they are wrong.

Kids (even those being brought up in a faith tradition) ought to learn about
other faiths and to be able to follow their own path if they choose..
Kids are to young to make such a serious decision. Parents should teach their children as they see fit.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I am surprised that people can't see the amount of faith that is involved in science. Not all faiths claim to know everything, some do. Many faiths are very open to interpretation. Let me ask you this...

When you see a baby being born of any species, is it not a beautiful thing? Are there not a ton of emotions involved? Wouldn't you say that it is an amazing thing to witness? Maybe even a bit, spiritual? Or does your mind start thinking of all the science involved?
I agree that seeing new life in most cases is awe inspiring, but not so much in others...Damned carpenter ants!

What you or I think doesn't matter. There is no faith involved in science no matter what you think. Science is merely a method or tool of discovery and that is why all scientific theories are not static, but change with new information. How can you call something that is constantly growing and changing (Theories) a matter of faith?

How about you give me an example of what you call scientific faith, if you can find one.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
I do not want my kids learning any form of religious ideology concerning creation in school......

I want them to learn science and I want them to learn scientific views on creation......

I do not want my kids being mixed up by the various views on creation unless it is to learn about the stories different religions have...

Because that is what they are...... Stories....... Not fact.......
Don't you want your children to learn about "diversity"?

Wouldn't a lot of the worlds problems be solved if only we understood each other better?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Wouldn't a lot of the worlds problems be solved if only we understood each other better?
My kids learn about diversity and I have no problem with them learning about creation myths but I don't want them to learn them as a truth and I certainly do not want creationism taught in school..

My kids have probably had one of the most diverse upbringings. I certainly don't think to many Christian kids have had the exposure to other religions my kids have.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Besides, most people on the planet absolutely agree with the fact that there is a creator.

Evolution cannot happen without having been created first.

Example...."Hey, look at how these seeds evolved into tomato's!"

"Where did the seeds come from?"

"Uh, I don't know."

Creation is a much more plausible reason for our existence than evolution.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

The most important thing we can teach our children is to think for themselves...Unfortunately the importance of this is often forgotten by many parents who attempt to make little clones of themselves in what their children believe.

Quote:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Kahlil Gibran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality