Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I'm curious Kidult. You started quite a few threads here lately, some even questioning cherished beliefs held by some. Why the frustration all of a sudden?
I am in the middle, I believe that every opinion can be true at the same time. Every religion can be true at the same time. A personal belief is simply that, personal. No amount of bashing is going to change a persons mind, in most cases it will only solidify their beliefs.

I have posted several topics to see what the reactions would be. They were just as I thought they would be. Judgmental and not one person would be open minded to either side being right. No amount of evidence or lack of evidence will change either side.

You would think that logic (based of what another poster said) would make us see that we cannot change another persons beliefs. You would think that reason would kick in and we would just leave each other be. But no, both sides have to be right.

If you notice in my posts, I am very much in the middle. I wouldn't say I don't know what to believe. I would say that my beliefs are so beyond what anyone could understand that they only pertain to me. Maybe one day someone will share the same set of beliefs that I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
thanks for showing me the door.
I wasn't trying to show you the door - I just don't see those topics as being hot topics here. Sort of like - the Christians on the Christianity forum who want to spend all their time talking about the Rapture or Universalism usually end up finding other sites where they can discuss those things. If you feel strongly about it - start a thread about Plato or Greek Mythology or find a site where you can discuss it with the learned people.

I guess I just don't understand why people stay here (on any of the religions forums - or any forum in general) if they are so unhappy and hate everyone here. If it's not for you - why stay? I like it here - I've made friends, I've gotten to understand why others believe what they believe, I've had my eyes opened several times, I've learned to control my temper a bit, and basically, I just enjoy it here. If you don't - why would you stay? And I don't mean this in a snotty way - but honestly, life is too short to do things you don't enjoy! Why bother?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think if you want to discuss Plato and Greek Mythology - there are probably other sites you could go to where those are the main topics of discussion. I don't really think it's possible to have a religion forum where people just share ideas.
That is not the way this works. A person should be able to ask a question about a religion or spirituality and not be instantly attacked by atheists saying that it doesn't exist. Same goes for an atheist who is discussing an atheistic question, they should not be attacked for what they believe.

A person should not have to go to another site to be able to learn about a topic on this site. I am sure the admin would not want people leaving this site because they felt they were being attacked and couldn't achieve what they set to do on this forum.

It is possible to have a forum where people simply share their religious ideas. Simply have a sub thread for religious debate. Everything else is informational and no debating allowed.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
To discover new things and to expand your mind without fear of being bashed for your personal beliefs.
I guess that's what I feel I do get out of this. Sure - there have been some that have bashed me for my beliefs - but this is an online forum where people don't have to say things to my face. I expect some bashing. When it gets to be too mean - I usually just walk away. However, I've also been welcomed and accpeted by people of all different beliefs and faiths. It's been great! And just for the record - I've been bashed by Christians and atheists and Muslims!!!
My personal beliefs are also not the norm - and I don't think they would make sense to anyone other than myself. Sometimes people ask me about them and I try to explain them - sometimes they are accepting, sometimes I get ridiculed. Either way - I'm comfortable with my beliefs. I'm also comfortable with others having their own beliefs. I actually started coming on this forum because I wanted to understand why others believe what they believe. And I do feel that I have come to a better understanding of this.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That is not the way this works. A person should be able to ask a question about a religion or spirituality and not be instantly attacked by atheists saying that it doesn't exist. Same goes for an atheist who is discussing an atheistic question, they should not be attacked for what they believe.

A person should not have to go to another site to be able to learn about a topic on this site. I am sure the admin would not want people leaving this site because they felt they were being attacked and couldn't achieve what they set to do on this forum.

It is possible to have a forum where people simply share their religious ideas. Simply have a sub thread for religious debate. Everything else is informational and no debating allowed.
I really don't think that is possible. There is a reason why you aren't supposed to discuss religion and politics in polite company! Look - I'm like you. I have my own beliefs and I think we all need to figure out what makes sense to us. What works for one person is not going to work for another. However - you and I are in the minority. People are very passionate about their beliefs. Very passionate. I think because I don't think that "I'm right and everyone else is wrong!" - I'm able to have great discussions with most people on here and get along with everyone alright. However, there is a reason I don't venture into the political forum. I'm very passionate about some of my political views and I know that I would come out with my fists-a-flyin'! I think that is how many people feel about their religious ideas. The policital forum and the religious forum are probably always going to be the most volatile forums. That's just the way it is. You can't change people so that all they want to do is listen and learn. It's just not possible. And I think the world would be a mighty boring place if we could just make people into who we wanted them to be.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I really don't think that is possible. There is a reason why you aren't supposed to discuss religion and politics in polite company! Look - I'm like you. I have my own beliefs and I think we all need to figure out what makes sense to us. What works for one person is not going to work for another. However - you and I are in the minority. People are very passionate about their beliefs. Very passionate. I think because I don't think that "I'm right and everyone else is wrong!" - I'm able to have great discussions with most people on here and get along with everyone alright. However, there is a reason I don't venture into the political forum. I'm very passionate about some of my political views and I know that I would come out with my fists-a-flyin'! I think that is how many people feel about their religious ideas. The policital forum and the religious forum are probably always going to be the most volatile forums. That's just the way it is. You can't change people so that all they want to do is listen and learn. It's just not possible. And I think the world would be a mighty boring place if we could just make people into who we wanted them to be.
I'm not trying to make anyone into who I want them to be. I want people to be able to be whom ever they choose to be, without anyone attacking them for it. The way this forum is going now, people are trying to make others believe what they do and mold them into who they think they should be.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to make anyone into who I want them to be. I want people to be able to be whom ever they choose to be, without anyone attacking them for it. The way this forum is going now, people are trying to make others believe what they do and mold them into who they think they should be.
I guess it just sounds like you are wanting people to interact in the way that you want them to instead of how they are doing it now.
Look - if you are unhappy here - then don't stay here. And like I said - I don't mean this in a mean way - but simply if you don't enjoy it here - why stay? Why torture yourself? Life's too short! Or - start the kind of threads that you want to see here. Awhile ago - I had a "Friendly Little Survey" thread where I just asked people a bunch of questions - not for a debate - just to see where everyone stood. And tons of people answered it and there wasn't any fighting at all. It was great and it made me really happy! I've also started threads about what books people find inspiring and what people want to have done with their bodies after they die. These things were interesting to me and they were more of discussion type threads than debate threads.
But the fact of the matter is that you can't force people to behave in a different way. There are a lot of people out there that believe that they are "right" - and that they need other people to believe the "right" thing, too. I think that's a big part of religion. And some people believe that it is their duty to convert others to their beliefs. And some people are just grumpy!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I guess it just sounds like you are wanting people to interact in the way that you want them to instead of how they are doing it now.
Look - if you are unhappy here - then don't stay here. And like I said - I don't mean this in a mean way - but simply if you don't enjoy it here - why stay? Why torture yourself? Life's too short! Or - start the kind of threads that you want to see here. Awhile ago - I had a "Friendly Little Survey" thread where I just asked people a bunch of questions - not for a debate - just to see where everyone stood. And tons of people answered it and there wasn't any fighting at all. It was great and it made me really happy! I've also started threads about what books people find inspiring and what people want to have done with their bodies after they die. These things were interesting to me and they were more of discussion type threads than debate threads.
But the fact of the matter is that you can't force people to behave in a different way. There are a lot of people out there that believe that they are "right" - and that they need other people to believe the "right" thing, too. I think that's a big part of religion. And some people believe that it is their duty to convert others to their beliefs. And some people are just grumpy!
That's just it I do like it here. What I don't like is when someone who is asking a legitimate question regarding a certain faith, they get bashed on all sides unless what they posted is atheistic, Muslim or christian. If you don't know the answer to their question or do not share their belief, simply state that or don't post. No need to attack someone for their beliefs. That is all I ever see on here.

What's funny is when I post a topic and am able to be on both sides and can still be attacked by both sides. Read some of my more recent posts. I go from one side to the other and somewhere in between.

It entertaining to confuse people. It just goes to show you that people who are passionate about a subject and are closed minded just don't get it. Open your mind and heart to other things and your life will be more amazing than you could ever imagine. An open, questioning mind is a great mind. A closed, firm mind is a weak mind, ready to be controlled.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM

142 posts, read 186,815 times
bottom line is, we are each of us, responsible for where we place our attention. the conscious and deliberate practice of discrimination and placement of attention is something that most people simply make no effort to employ, especially when the context is 'hot' and emotional reaction rules the day.

why are you really here?

how many people *really* answer this question honestly for themselves. how many people are here for the purpose of distraction.....from work, from personal issues they don't want to address, responsibilities big and small they are procrastinating on.....how many people are here for validation, for ego glorification, how many are on messianic trips, how many are here deliberately to find people who's beliefs differ just so they can ridicule them and feel superior, how many are stuck in victimhood mentality and are here to find a target for their anger, .....just take a look at the bandwagon mentality prevalent in those who always stick together and you will notice a whole plethora of the above and more.

those who can sift through the muck and mire of places like this without succumbing to emotional reaction can find much value and purpose....opportunities for a (personal and collective) shift in consciousness that allows for liberation from old, calcified beliefs/understandings, habitual reactive tendencies, stagnant imageries and staunch opinions that serve only to fossilize one's point of view.

the power of free will that we all have, is not found so much in the choices we make to go left or right, come to this message board or that one, it's in our capacity to choose for ourselves...our attitudes and placement of attention, the power is in our capacity for conscious and deliberate choices in discrimination and discernment. personal power is that capacity we have in ourselves to gather our scattered energies, and focus on that which serves value and purpose to personal growth and the evolution of our consciousness.

the law of cause and effect will not be mocked, lol......what you put out, you get back. if you're getting back an effect that is 'unwanted'.....well maybe it's time to place your attention more deliberately on your cause.

why are you really here? is a great question, and a great place to start.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabar View Post
bottom line is, we are each of us, responsible for where we place our attention. the conscious and deliberate practice of discrimination and placement of attention is something that most people simply make no effort to employ, especially when the context is 'hot' and emotional reaction rules the day.

why are you really here?

how many people *really* answer this question honestly for themselves. how many people are here for the purpose of distraction.....from work, from personal issues they don't want to address, responsibilities big and small they are procrastinating on.....how many people are here for validation, for ego glorification, how many are on messianic trips, how many are here deliberately to find people who's beliefs differ just so they can ridicule them and feel superior, how many are stuck in victimhood mentality and are here to find a target for their anger, .....just take a look at the bandwagon mentality prevalent in those who always stick together and you will notice a whole plethora of the above and more.

those who can sift through the muck and mire of places like this without succumbing to emotional reaction can find much value and purpose....opportunities for a (personal and collective) shift in consciousness that allows for liberation from old, calcified beliefs/understandings, habitual reactive tendencies, stagnant imageries and staunch opinions that serve only to fossilize one's point of view.

the power of free will that we all have, is not found so much in the choices we make to go left or right, come to this message board or that one, it's in our capacity to choose for ourselves...our attitudes and placement of attention, the power is in our capacity for conscious and deliberate choices in discrimination and discernment. personal power is that capacity we have in ourselves to gather our scattered energies, and focus on that which serves value and purpose to personal growth and the evolution of our consciousness.

the law of cause and effect will not be mocked, lol......what you put out, you get back. if you're getting back an effect that is 'unwanted'.....well maybe it's time to place your attention more deliberately on your cause.

why are you really here? is a great question, and a great place to start.
Cinnabar, you always seem to make sense. Thank you. To answer your question about why am I really here?

I learned long ago that I am here to make dynamic actions that facilitate change, simplification and improvement. My personal energy is one that in a positive sense can fracture the known so there can be space for the unknown new things (approaches, beliefs, etc.) to fit in. I will face resistance from those that are not ready for or are open to change, but I know that I have the energy to see the resistance dissolved.

My spirit is of the wolf. I am here to sniff out the truth and track it down. To lead others to the truths out there, and to chase off those that deny and mean to hide these truths. I am here to scatter the herd, only to round it up again.

I am on a journey for knowledge, to seek out what lays before us, some visible and known, and some hidden, possibly locked away until the timing is right.

There is more to than this, if you want to know more PM me. I would be happy to share it with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality