Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,355,464 times

Advertisements

Then creationism from every religion should be taught along with it. Why should only one or two views be taught? After all they are all jut theory, we don't really know how or why the earth, solar system and universe was created.

Whats your theory? I know, I just opened a huge can of worms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,049,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Then creationism from every religion should be taught along with it. Why should only one or two views be taught? After all they are all jut theory, we don't really know how or why the earth, solar system and universe was created.

I do not want my kids learning any form of religious ideology concerning creation in school......

I want them to learn science and I want them to learn scientific views on creation......

I do not want my kids being mixed up by the various views on creation unless it is to learn about the stories different religions have...

Because that is what they are...... Stories....... Not fact.......

Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I do not want my kids learning any form of religious ideology concerning creation in school......

I want them to learn science and I want them to learn scientific views on creation......

I do not want my kids being mixed up by the various views on creation unless it is to learn about the stories different religions have...

Because that is what they are...... Stories....... Not fact.......
That is a great Idea. I think that kids should be allowed, once in high school, to learn about various faiths. This way they are informed on all aspects of religion and science.

I don't think science alone should be taught. Strong focus on it, but with a mild focus on religion and philosophy.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,049,297 times
Quote:
That is a great Idea. I think that kids should be allowed, once in high school, to learn about various faiths. This way they are informed on all aspects of religion and science.

I don't think science alone should be taught. Strong focus on it, but with a mild focus on religion and philosophy.

My kids are learning about the various religions now at their religious school.
They are not learning about them from the view that we are right and they are wrong.

Kids (even those being brought up in a faith tradition) ought to learn about other faiths and to be able to follow their own path if they choose..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,693,767 times
Quote:

This can of worms has been opened quite some time ago. Creationsim / ID is only a backdoor way to get religion into schools at the expense of science. Paraphrasing a friend : "don't preach in my school and I will not think in your church". I don't ask evolution to be taught in a church. Parents can teach whatever they want to at home or place of worship - just don't confuse cerationsim with science.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
My kids are learning about the various religions now at their religious school.
They are not learning about them from the view that we are right and they are wrong.

Kids (even those being brought up in a faith tradition) ought to learn about other faiths and to be able to follow their own path if they choose..
I completely agree. Kids should be taught about other faiths, and leave out one being right and others being wrong.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
This can of worms has been opened quite some time ago. Creationsim / ID is only a backdoor way to get religion into schools at the expense of science. Paraphrasing a friend : "don't preach in my school and I will not think in your church". I don't ask evolution to be taught in a church. Parents can teach whatever they want to at home or place of worship - just don't confuse cerationsim with science.
There is a lot of "faith" in science too. We don't really know how or why it(universe, life) was created. Is there even and how and a why. Maybe we have simply always been. Maybe will always will be. We could be from other galaxy for all we know. We don't honestly know. To say that science isn't a bit of "faith" is wrong.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
I took comparative religions at my secular public highschool my senior year. We were divided into groups for the semester - and in my group we were all atheist/agnostic except for one girl who was Catholic. We all got along great and named ourselves "4 atheists and a Catholic." It was a great class - although I've probably forgotten most of what I learned. However, the same can be said about most of my highschool classes!
In terms of science - only science should be taught in science class.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,693,767 times
Quote:
There is a lot of "faith" in science too. We don't really know how or why it(universe, life) was created. Is there even and how and a why. Maybe we have simply always been. Maybe will always will be. We could be from other galaxy for all we know. We don't honestly know. To say that science isn't a bit of "faith" is wrong.
There is zero faith involved in science - it is all evidence based. Religion, otoh, is total faith. Science does not have all the answers (like orign of life) but that is because it does not seek to answer such questions. Science has explained way way way more phenomenon than any holy book - and that gap is increasing daily. In fact, religion is supposed to have answers like why we are all here etc and I don't see any religion having "the" answer - even after thousands of years; I doubt they ever will.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
You cannot compare religion with science...Science is in the business of discovering the hows and whys, whereas religion claims to know the hows and whys...There is no faith involved in science, nor should there be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality