Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 02:25 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
The Bible even supports a heliocentric view of the solar system. Galileo, Geocentrism, and Joshua’s Long Day Q&A
Really, I was not aware of this. I looked at that link and could not find a scripture reference teaching heliocentrism. What I am aware of is that whenever scripture touches on cosmology, it reflected the ANE cosmologies. It is easy to make a case for geocentric cosmological model in scripture, but I have yet to find a positive case for heliocentrism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
the woman doesn't seem the least bit weirded out by this. How do you 'splain that?
Who knows? Maybe there was a universal language, maybe communications were different before languages were split and given as described later in Genesis. Bottom line, whatever the means, the Bible says the snake spoke to eve and I believe it. It could have been wrapped around the fruit, at the base of the tree or heck even shaped like a huge neon arrow pointing at the fruit, but something about the snake 'spoke' to Eve and led her to cross the line from temptation to sin.

How do I know?

God said so.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that God tempted Eve to Original Sin via the snake?
No, I don't think God tempts. I believe Eve was tempted via the snake though, just as the Bible teaches.

Quote:
Or is there perhaps more going on here than a 100% literal interpretation allows?
I'm sure there's things happening that are not recorded, but I think a 100% literal interpretation allows for that, too.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
The Pope should stick to religious dogma in which he is supposed to be infallible. He is not the authority when it comes to science.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,437 times
What the Pope said is the same stuff I learned in Catholic School in the 60s. Nothing new there, just better communication across various groups.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
What the Pope said is the same stuff I learned in Catholic School in the 60s. Nothing new there, just better communication across various groups.
Very true...we were taught that the old testament was allagorical -- Noahs Arc, the garden of eden....just a neat way to get a message across. After all, that was the manner that Jesus taught best in.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Really, I was not aware of this. I looked at that link and could not find a scripture reference teaching heliocentrism. What I am aware of is that whenever scripture touches on cosmology, it reflected the ANE cosmologies. It is easy to make a case for geocentric cosmological model in scripture, but I have yet to find a positive case for heliocentrism.
Rightly dividing the word of truth plays a part in the way people interpret scripture. When reading about Joshua's long day, it is given from the person's perspective, an earth-bound point of view -- just as when we say the sun rises and the sun sets... it actually does neither, but that is how we describe our perception of the event.

When the long day occurred, Joshua only needed extra daylight. So if the bible implied the sun revolved around the earth, as many ancient cultures believed at the time, then only the sun needed to be still. However, as the bible accurately records the sun and moon both stood still, which falls in line with heliocentric views. This event is also verifed by ancient cultures on the other side of the planet having record of a 'long night'.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:03 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Very true...we were taught that the old testament was allagorical -- Noahs Arc, the garden of eden....just a neat way to get a message across. After all, that was the manner that Jesus taught best in.
That's right. We were also encouraged to question the priest about anything we couldn't grasp. Not sure if that was the case in all Catholic schools back then but it was in ours.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Rightly dividing the word of truth plays a part in the way people interpret scripture. When reading about Joshua's long day, it is given from the person's perspective, an earth-bound point of view -- just as when we say the sun rises and the sun sets... it actually does neither, but that is how we describe our perception of the event.

When the long day occurred, Joshua only needed extra daylight. So if the bible implied the sun revolved around the earth, as many ancient cultures believed at the time, then only the sun needed to be still. However, as the bible accurately records the sun and moon both stood still, which falls in line with heliocentric views. This event is also verifed by ancient cultures on the other side of the planet having record of a 'long night'.
Actually that is a case for the Geocentric model that they held to be the way the cosmos operated. Taken literally, since scripture says that the earth is fixed, the Sun standing still for a time, would imply that the sun is what is, at all other times doing, the moving, not the earth. This is what they believed. Scripture didn't say that the earth stopped rotating. AiG is really stretching it. Don't rely on them. I posted info on the Hebrew's Cosmology that explained this. I still have yet to see any scripture that indicated a heliocentric solar system. But why should we expect it to, since it was written accomodating the ANE cosmology.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I still have yet to see any scripture that indicated a heliocentric solar system. But why should we expect it to...
We shouldn't. Because the Bible is not a science book. That is a misuse of its intended purpose.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
I take the Bible account in Genesis to be an accurate historical account. If the Bible is inspired by God...why wouldn't he have explained that from one beast came another, man came from the beast, etc? Instead he said that he formed the man out of dust from the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, everything was created according to its kind. That is different than evolving.

Jesus did teach using illustrations but it was clear that he was making an illustration. The Bible uses all styles of writing...poetry, visions and interpretations, prophesies, and historical accounts (and its all to be taken literal in the sense that it is credible). The account in Genesis seems to be a historical account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality