Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 01:50 PM

33,647 posts, read 37,316,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If there were mammoths around, I'd chase 'em.
No No...Don't do that!...PETA will picket you home and business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM

23,008 posts, read 28,481,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No No...Don't do that!...PETA will picket you home and business.
Guy with mammoth beats hippies with hemp underwear every time.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:44 AM

244 posts, read 394,270 times
Quote:
The culture of the time was strictly patrilinear. Ladies got the short shift, I'm afraid.

It's pretty well accepted among most Biblical scholars that Luke got a great deal of his info from Mary. The genealogy there is hers. She was descended from one of David's children, whereas Joseph was descended from another of David's children. They were both of the line of David, though different lines.
I'd be interested in any support you might have for the idea that the genealogy in Luke is actually through Mary. But even if what you're saying is true that still would mean the genealogies can't be taken literally, because that genealogy specifically claims to be through Joseph.

If you argue that both genealogies are correct except that one of them is through Mary, you run into additional problems. For instance, in Matthew, Eliakim is the grandson of Zorobabel and great grandson of Salathiel. In Luke he's the great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather of Salathiel. (See comparison at Genealogy of Jesus (Mt.1 vs Lk.3)).

Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 AM

810 posts, read 1,441,949 times
Quote:
Sure they can.

Imagine two scholars examining Michelangelo's statue of David.

The first scholar says, "Michelangelo made this."

The second scholar says, "You fool! Can't you see this was made by hammers, chisels, and brushes?"

Argument ensues.

But the sad fact is they are both right, but they're too busy arguing to see the truth in the other's argument.

Not for lack of trying.

Good analogy, I see your point. The tools that Michelangelo used to make his creation corresponding to evolution being the tool that God made humans. The problem that I see is this...let's say that Michelangelo left a letter behind that said that instead of hammers, chisel, and brushes he used another means...which I believe the Bible does with the account of how He created everything according to its kind.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
God is outside time, so His time is never the same as our time. Genesis was written by man under God's direction. God told man what He did and man wrote it down. So how can we know the six days described in Genesis are actual earth days and not huge periods of time? Because it is written there was morning and evening, the first day, second day, etc. In Hebrew, the word day, qualified by morning and evening and number tells us that it was an ordinary, 24 hr day.
If, as you say, God is outside time, and His time is never the same as our time, then why do you assume His “morning and evening†are the same as our “morning and eveningâ€. How in fact could they be, since our morning and evening are determined by when the sun rises and sets, and since the sun wasn’t around to rise and set until the fourth day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559
Also, Exodus 20:8-11, the commandment to keep the sabbath is based on the creation week. So if the days of creation were huge periods of time, it would not make sense in light of Exodus 20:8-11.
The argument is that the creation week was a regular week from God’s point of view. It makes perfect sense to keep the seventh day of our week in memory of the seventh day of God’s week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559
Also, Jesus in Mark 10:6 stated, "But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female'" Well, so what you may say. Jesus was talking about divorce in those passages. Yes, that's true. But, Jesus never lies, right? Jesus himself said man and woman were created at the beginning of creation, not billions of years after creation happened, which supports the Genesis account of creation that the days were 24 hr days.
Again, the idea is that from God’s point of view the creation of man was “at the beginning of creationâ€. God supposedly stands in relation to the universe as an author might stand in relation to his book. An author might take a day to write something that takes many years from within the perspective of the book. He might also write something one day that takes place in the book prior to what he wrote the previous day.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Good analogy, I see your point. The tools that Michelangelo used to make his creation corresponding to evolution being the tool that God made humans. The problem that I see is this...let's say that Michelangelo left a letter behind that said that instead of hammers, chisel, and brushes he used another means...which I believe the Bible does with the account of how He created everything according to its kind.
Is there anything in the Bible to indicate that an organism's "kind" can't change over time?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I do think God left just such a letter. But when it comes to the miracle of Creation, there are so many intricacies that we humans are just now beginning to understand --- and we've only scratched the surface! So I believe that God's letter (in this case, the book of Genesis) is one of poetry and metaphor. Absolutely True (with a capital T) in every way, but not necessarily scientifically factual.

The difference between Truth and fact in this case seems to be which questions we believe Genesis strives to answer. I don't think Genesis is answering "How?" I believe Genesis is primarily concerned with "Who?" and "Why?"

Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 AM

33,647 posts, read 37,316,038 times
Proof that man is was not created, but evolved and is a primate.

YouTube - Genome sequencing leaves Creationists unable to respond

Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Proof that man is was not created, but evolved and is a primate.
Humans are evolved primates, but that doesn't mean we weren't created. Again: I don't see these concepts as contradictory.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,872,719 times
What's a kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality