Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 PM

896 posts, read 1,867,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What ignorant ancients INTENDED has NOTHING to do with us today.
Would that apply to a certain 'holy book' too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM

912 posts, read 829,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's a question I've never seen answered sufficiently. God chose to reveal Himself to these "ignorant ancients". We should be thankful it was recorded for us.
even though we don't completely agree on some things.... I as well find a lack with respects to assigning a tone of dis-respect for humanity's past learning experience.... through a direct application of well used term...ignorant ancients.

Does science blast ancient & copious undertakings with a disdain in labeling efforts to be that of..."ignorant ancients" ?. Why not..?

The categorization in tone is basically...off with their heads. Not only a suggestion of no real contribution, but a hindrance objecting to Gods plan. The growing plant of humanity in my opinion is Gods Will.

all civilizations past , present and future would be "Children of God" doing what they were able, as we do today.

This is my complaint in the tone used to abruptly dis-own our past as something detached from the fact of our existence as well "rationally necessary" in the unfolding Creation.

Moreover... were either of these groups (Sci-Rel) " outrageously ignorant relative to provided setting..............................

any more so than todays in-ability to feed people who are starving to death...

with given ability in communication, transportation, how is it that ancient spirits are not correctly asking....what in the world is up with those IGNORANT Contemporaries. With all this time for growth , how do THEY think we are ignorant?

Was the reality of collective human struggle which logically contributed to present day understandings not a contribution in totality to the ..."over-all comprehension of Spirituality today. Of course.

Will the future....pick out wars, leaders, murderer's and so on and label
our progress as ancient and slow....well I happen to think more so fitting.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 03-27-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,898,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
ok sorry.. Father Rafius.
You are absolved my child. Go in peace.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,100,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Christians do you know the origins of this "holiday"? Do you know what the practices most take part in really are? What do the bunny, colored eggs, ham dinner and rolls and egg hunts have to do with Christ's death and resurrection? Here is a little info you will find informative and revealing:

The Pagan Origin Of Easter

Easter: Pagan Fertility ritual @ The God Kind!
I see it's time for the annual "Easter is a pagan holiday" lecture.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I see it's time for the annual "Easter is a pagan holiday" lecture.
Can't really complain about taking Christ out of Christmas if your going to turn around and take Eastre out of easter only a few months later.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,614,812 times
This is more an obsession with a word than with a holiday. In most languages the word for the holiday descends from the word for Passover. In Latin it is Festa Paschalia, in Greek it's Pascha anastasimon, in Mozarabic it was Laetatione Diei Pasch Ressurectionis, in Italian Pasqua, and even in Scottish it was Pask.

"Easter" is not a pagan equinox celebration. If any year makes that clear this one does. Easter this year falls in late April, over a month after the equinox. It is relational to Passover and yes it really does celebrate the Resurrection. Celebration of the holiday predates Constantine and can be attested in the third century. Bunnies and eggs may be pagan, although the egg part may be Christian, but the holiday is Judaeo-Christian. If it "rips off" from anyone it's Jews.

As for the tracts linked to they're largely just anti-Catholic babble. Some Protestants are still invested in the idea Catholicism is some weird pagan religion rather than the faith their's sprang from. The canon of the Protestant New Testament was largely or entirely determined by Catholics and Orthodoxers, both of whom celebrate things radical Protestants disdain. (Seven sacraments, Tradition, the Ecumenical Councils, etc)

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM

64,026 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
even though we don't completely agree on some things.... I as well find a lack with respects to assigning a tone of dis-respect for humanity's past learning experience.... through a direct application of well used term...ignorant ancients.

Does science blast ancient & copious undertakings with a disdain in labeling efforts to be that of..."ignorant ancients" ?. Why not..?

The categorization in tone is basically...off with their heads. Not only a suggestion of no real contribution, but a hindrance objecting to Gods plan. The growing plant of humanity in my opinion is Gods Will.

all civilizations past , present and future would be "Children of God" doing what they were able, as we do today.

This is my complaint in the tone used to abruptly dis-own our past as something detached from the fact of our existence as well "rationally necessary" in the unfolding Creation.

Moreover... were either of these groups (Sci-Rel) " outrageously ignorant relative to provided setting..............................

any more so than todays in-ability to feed people who are starving to death...

with given ability in communication, transportation, how is it that ancient spirits are not correctly asking....what in the world is up with those IGNORANT Contemporaries. With all this time for growth , how do THEY think we are ignorant?

Was the reality of collective human struggle which logically contributed to present day understandings not a contribution in totality to the ..."over-all comprehension of Spirituality today. Of course.

Will the future....pick out wars, leaders, murderer's and so on and label
our progress as ancient and slow....well I happen to think more so fitting.
Sorry Bl . . . the ignorant ancients were truly ignorant and retaining that ignorance as the infallible word of God creates even more ignorance . . . as well as many evils. The difference between the ignorance in science is that they abandon it when they learn it is wrong. Religion retains the ancient ignorance as infallible truth.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry Bl . . . the ignorant ancients were truly ignorant and retaining that ignorance as the infallible word of God creates even more ignorance . . . as well as many evils. The difference between the ignorance in science is that they abandon it when they learn it is wrong. Religion retains the ancient ignorance as infallible truth.
\

Ok , there must be a present day example then. I will edit this in a moment.....thanks(edited)

Is it reasonable to expect anything more from history relative to Christianity , given the reality of its participant man and his journey through time?

Religion or a gathering of people in a mutual meaning for life is normal & inevitable.

Any institution which recommends guidelines in moral conduct out of a belief system will logically employ a "head" or inspirational director to lead the initiative. A system without mandate (infallible truth) is basically ....lost in of itself and without stability.. No requirements needed. The Guidlines would then be discretionary , thoughts to work around individual & social ...temporal need.

Life was and can still be harsh. Time to study the Bible is not always available.

We are all our own, infallible truth evidenced by accepted philosophy.
Are we all evil in our individual truth?

If there is a religion which has no interest in growing closer to its purpose , learning, changing, then I agree. I'm sure there may be some , although not to my knowledge.

Due to the word used infallible, the inference may be the religion of the Catholic Faith. The chief areas that may be considered out of step
adding to much rejection highlight "sensitivity" in the sanctity of life.

Certainly not something which would seem ....boorish ?

Last edited by Blue Hue; 03-27-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,898,619 times
Quote:
Deserves a rep or two.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Deserves a rep or two.
Present day example...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality