Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Of what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 AM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Of what?
The Catholic Church is being accused of being evil in composition. Everyone knows that the infallibility of the Pope as inspirational leader is unique to this Institution. Here is the post which you have rep. and I have asked for a present day example where "Religion retains the ancient ignorance as infallible truth.

"Sorry BL the ignorant ancients were truly ignorant and retaining that ignorance as the infallible word of God creates even more ignorance . . . as well as many evils. The difference between the ignorance in science is that they abandon it when they learn it is wrong. Religion retains the ancient ignorance as infallible truth."

My post earlier address's my complaints to this position as well adding in afterthought will say....

The above criticism is suggesting an evil momentum in Catholic Faith(infallible) suggesting that the Religion retains ignorance in spite of learning error. This is obviously false back boned by relentless interest in servitude to God together with up to date serious interest in..."all mans progress including science ect"

I discuss the "guidance aspect" of infallible truth in earlier post (as I'm sure you've seen, but have selected to not comment on.)

The term ...ancient ignorance could in this manner be applied to my neighbor. He is a drunk. He is a menace to society. I give him rides ect ect and try to be a good example to him. Do I have the right to refer to this human being as an "Ancient Ignorant" Evil because he does not change his ways.? How can I judge and make such hostilities to my neighbor? It is irrational as I have not walked in his shoes ....

How is our ancestors not also our neighbor in this journey through life. Necessary parts of humanity who did the best they can in the setting and the God given abilities they have. Not perfect...huge mistakes all in keeping with the old society of....huge mistakes. Not unlike ourselves relative to the future

Sorry.

There is no room for an evil theme in a compelling contrast in any capacity to "jump start the soul" in the well ordered conscience.

It simply has no role.

Yet a theme in evil, a well defined expressed position to , stamp out organized religion exists among, the Spiritually interested folks.

Most religions are made up of billions of very good hard working people. Throughout the ages as well.

Ill-will comes in many forms. It is a trap.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Just want to comment on this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Yet a theme in evil, a well defined expressed position to , stamp out organized religion exists among, the Spiritually interested folks.
I do not think any non theist wants to stamp out religion, our preference that it would diminish and go extinct is not the same as actively wanting to eradicate it. The problem is that the religious zeal trickles over into secular life and that is where the opposition is.

In SA prior to the ANC taking over the government there was this overwhelming belief that they (A communist orientated party) would remove this right to religion.

It never happened.

Yes there are restrictions now to cater for all minorities by way of a modern constitution. There has been no restrictions as to what they may believe or preach in their churches.
Quote:

Most religions are made up of billions of very good hard working people. Throughout the ages as well.

Precisely, and it is this obvious statistic we use to say, keep religion out of politics and out of schools.

Any atheist that goes into a church with a megaphone and starts insulting their beliefs would be thrown out and likely prosecuted (here in SA anyway) but the religious are free to invade the privacy of the public at large w/o any reprisal. Notice any atheist lately (or ever) doing this?

This would not be allowed here in SA.

Neither would this.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,977 times
The Pope was mentioned here so here is info I feel should be shared with all. I am not attacking those who have chosen Catholiscism as their faith - BUT I must tell the truth about its leader. I believe every denomination has its false witness/grand deceiver even mine the Baptisits are really out to lunch in many ways and the unoffical leader of America's faith family Billy Graham is on the same team/level as the Pope. Read the book "Billy Graham and his Friends - a hidden agenda? by Dr. Cathy Burns.

POPE BENEDICT XVI HELD FORTH TWISTED CROSS CRUCIFIX DURING HIS INSTALLATION CEREMONY

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
The term ...ancient ignorance could in this manner be applied to my neighbor.
No Blue . . . it could not. Ancient ignorance refers to the recorded interpretations and descriptions of God's character and motivations in the OT. The Church has retained these and used them to promote fear and control over their "flocks."
Quote:
How is our ancestors not also our neighbor in this journey through life. Necessary parts of humanity who did the best they can in the setting and the God given abilities they have. Not perfect...huge mistakes all in keeping with the old society of....huge mistakes. Not unlike ourselves relative to the future
But those mistakes have NOT been corrected to an evolved understanding of the true nature of our loving God, Blue. That is inexcusable!
Quote:
There is no room for an evil theme in a compelling contrast in any capacity to "jump start the soul" in the well ordered conscience.

It simply has no role.

There is no position to stamp out organized religion IF IT WILL EVOLVE INTELLIGENTLY, abandon the ancient ignorance about God, and embrace the true message of Christ . . . "Love God and each other," period.
Quote:
And they have been misled and exploited by the religious leaders in their churches throughout the ages!
Quote:
Ill-will is in the eye of the beholder, Blue.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Always comes back to the same OLD arguments . . . the point of the thread is long forgotten.

Good job hijacking, people!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah...but what did you do with what you learned? Ignored it ....obviously!
How do you come to that conclusion? Actually, it gave ME the chance to be the smart one and tell others about the origins of the holiday. Hey, I still meet adults who don't know that Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of Spring.

I have no problem melding the old with the new. And I am not about to give up chocolate bunnies, dammit! Some things are SACRED, man.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Can't really complain about taking Christ out of Christmas if your going to turn around and take Eastre out of easter only a few months later.
Which is why so many Christians have stopped calling it Easter and refer to it as Resurrection Sunday now. It doesn't fit as easily into the little box on the calendar, though.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And I am not about to give up chocolate bunnies, dammit! Some things are SACRED, man.
That a good enough excuse to follow Pagan traditions for me!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 AM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Just want to comment on this part.

I do not think any non theist wants to stamp out religion, our preference that it would diminish and go extinct is not the same as actively wanting to eradicate it. The problem is that the religious zeal trickles over into secular life and that is where the opposition is.

In SA prior to the ANC taking over the government there was this overwhelming belief that they (A communist orientated party) would remove this right to religion.

It never happened.

Yes there are restrictions now to cater for all minorities by way of a modern constitution. There has been no restrictions as to what they may believe or preach in their churches.
Precisely, and it is this obvious statistic we use to say, keep religion out of politics and out of schools.

Any atheist that goes into a church with a megaphone and starts insulting their beliefs would be thrown out and likely prosecuted (here in SA anyway) but the religious are free to invade the privacy of the public at large w/o any reprisal. Notice any atheist lately (or ever) doing this?

This would not be allowed here in SA.

Neither would this.
Good thinking as usual.

These signs are unhealthy cruel examples of ill-will towards your neighbor. Suggesting that a persons belief or interpretation of creation is evil is ridiculous and disruptive.
If posters constantly look for opportunities to use the words associated with the Catholic Church and then go on to suggest an evil disposition the remark acts as a clear sign.

1) Doctrines of men.....evil
2) Precepts of men.....evil
3) Infallible policy's within organization.....evil

These are signs Seeker that point the finger of darkness at the Church. They are a central theme to the poster I am referring to and his following

Doctrine and precepts simply refer to ...teachings , Infallible simply refers to guidance, all of which are clearly Catholic words of association.

The word ...evil is then attached. Same idea as the signs an ...out of health , unsound projection towards the many followers.....ill-will. Just like the signs, same technique same hostile suggestion.

Introducing "evil" to a persons faith is a hostility.

Are the thread signs in postings benevolent towards RC followers..nope. pushy , bully style my way or your supposed evil way tactics.

A Holy theme in Easter, and somebody has to "Park His Signs" out on the thread ....well....we can see the fruits of this effort. Arguments between
Christians who are now in a position to "EXPLAIN" that there gathering is not evil in leadership in order to .."FEEL" worthy to join along in the idea's.

Anyway, thanks for the clear identification of obvious damage and "unkind"
things that show us exactly what stupidity is. I have endured this pointed
sign posting ever since I joined city data and to see it in an Easter Theme makes absolutely no sense at all....

Eye of the beholder...? negative & broad sweeping suggestions of evil towards the fellow mans honest meaning in life are simply what they are....negative.

Apologizing to thread theme in getting suckered in to this , so will not be back and have a nice day. No big deal. Theres so much anti Catholic, anti atheist anti life is what it boils down to
best to ignore and carry on ...live and learn I suppose.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 03-28-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality