Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

God has always existed. He is the preexistent . . . the uncaused cause. No one "created" Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
This is a common confusion.

The First Cause type statements are about material objects and God is not a material object. Theists are also not dealing, or not really dealing, with "Who created Pi" or "who created Prime Numbers" when discussing these things.

The Universe does have a beginning, the Big Bang, and is made of matter/energy. It also has certain constants that combine in a statistically implausible way to allow life. Maybe not "ideal life" in the way envisioned by people I respect like Neil deGrasse Tyson, hence we can be killed by numerous disasters on Earth or in the cosmos, but life all the same. Other things do not necessarily have a beginning or creation in that way, as mentioned prime numbers or what have you. God is uncreated and eternal.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
( going along with the assumption that he always existed)..........did 'ya ever wonder what god was doing before he created the universe?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM

142 posts, read 249,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
( going along with the assumption that he always existed)..........did 'ya ever wonder what god was doing before he created the universe?
Could be anything.

Its hard but I try my best not to look and think on how God would feel through the eyes and mind of me being human.

I've seen many foolish instances where people have done art that shows God being seduced by a woman not taking into consideration that a God who speaks things into existence could just as easily say sexual attraction doesn't exist anymore and the previously most attractive thing to a person becomes as attractive as the sidewalk.

People saying foolishness like God rested on the seventh day because he was oh so tired.

We venture into unknown territory when we say God has to get bored or tired just like us right?

Many people say that they would never like to live forever but they view living forever through the lens of the human-ness that they are accustomed to now.

This is opposed to as where in the Christian faith the God man Jesus did feel the pressures of humanity and being human. He had to withstand temptation and not use divine power for His own good.

Finally we don't believe that the human race that is here on earth were the first beings that God created.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
God is eternal,the energy He used to create the universe's is also eternal,these material universe's are only a temporary manifestation,everything living entity originates from the eternal spiritual dimension

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The agnostic Olaf Stapledon considered in his book "The Starmaker" that God created many other Universes before. In the book he took the unusual position that God was "an artist", but not in the romantic way that sounds. Essentially our Universe was one of many "works of art" he made, found imperfect or unsatisfying, and basically abandoned with disinterest. So in this vision we're like a little scrap of paper God throws away while trying to make something good. C. S. Lewis found that a horrifying vision and called it "demonic." (However in my thesis research it struck me that Lewis had a tendency to call many things "demonic" or "satanic" when he meant something more like "disagreeable and wrong." I don't know if he went so far as to call burnt toast "demonic" but after seeing him use it pretty readily I figured it wasn't quite as condemning as I thought.)

Anyway I don't know what God was doing before the Universe. He might not have been "doing" anything as we understand it. I admit it is an interesting question though.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is a common confusion.

The First Cause type statements are about material objects and God is not a material object. Theists are also not dealing, or not really dealing, with "Who created Pi" or "who created Prime Numbers" when discussing these things.

The Universe does have a beginning, the Big Bang, and is made of matter/energy. It also has certain constants that combine in a statistically implausible way to allow life. Maybe not "ideal life" in the way envisioned by people I respect like Neil deGrasse Tyson, hence we can be killed by numerous disasters on Earth or in the cosmos, but life all the same. Other things do not necessarily have a beginning or creation in that way, as mentioned prime numbers or what have you. God is uncreated and eternal.
RESPONSE:

>>The Universe does have a beginning, the Big Bang, and is made of matter/energy. <<

Then can we say that the existence of matter and energy preceeded the Big Bang?

Are they eternal (i.e. existed forever)?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

>>The Universe does have a beginning, the Big Bang, and is made of matter/energy. <<

Then can we say that the existence of matter and energy preceeded the Big Bang?
Not according to how I understood it. The Big Bang is the beginning, there is no "before the beginning" in the world of matter/energy. Although there might be newer theories to contradict that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Are they eternal (i.e. existed forever)?
No.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
primitive boogie man created zod and has been perpetuated ever since

Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Not according to how I understood it. The Big Bang is the beginning, there is no "before the beginning" in the world of matter/energy. Although there might be newer theories to contradict that.

No.
RESPONSE:

I'm afraid that common sense contradicts the "something from nothing theory."

Something cannot bring itself into existence. Something cannot act until it already exists.

If for a moment nothing existed, then nothing would exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality