Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I know for a fact that there is more to us than the physical realm.
You "know for a fact" huh?? Well please do present your evidence. That you have undeniable evidence for something that has eluded the greatest minds past and present will no doubt earn you a Nobel Prize. I can't wait!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,224,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You "know for a fact" huh?? Well please do present your evidence. That you have undeniable evidence for something that has eluded the greatest minds past and present will no doubt earn you a Nobel Prize. I can't wait!!!
Theistic "faktz" are based o emotional experiences, they are not the same as real facts.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,252,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Theistic "faktz" are based o emotional experiences, they are not the same as real facts.
did ya not read tha mans post,i dont think he is a theist.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
So you mean you've never had a dream that moved you? You've never had a thought so interesting that it left you in a bit of a daze? You have never been so overwelmed by your own thoughts/feelings that you could not function "normally" in this physical realm (until those strong feelings went away)?

To deny the fact that our existence is shaped by non-physical factors (ie, thoughts, dreams, and feelings) is a lie within a delusion. Without consciousness (something that can't be measured nor observed), nothing is "real"; nothing exists. This is a FACT. How do you prove this? Simple. Knock yourself out, then see what happens. I am willing to bet that your world (as you know it) would end. That's all I am saying here. Reality is nothing more than billions of beings sharing their own consciousness with others. Everything YOU know is based on your own interpretations of your own conscious reality. There are no rewards or punishments for "believing" what I have just told you. Gods and religions are delusions created by folks that wish to control the conscious development of their fellow man. You are your own God; always have been and always will be.

Do Atheists Have Faith?

Yet bet they do!!! There is NOOOOOOO doubt about it. It takes a lot of faith to "believe" that every theists is some uneducated simple minded dullard. It even takes more faith to "believe" that every person who accepts a non-physical explanation to our reality "has just got to be a theist". It's sad, but most atheists have no clue how theistic their thinking really is. Many place their absolute trust in what science tells them (while ignoring the fact that scientists often lie). With that said, atheism has taken on the form of a religion in many ways. Science is the "God" of this new religion. Science books and magazines are the "Bibles" of this faith. Science is allowed to be wrong because atheists have faith that science will "discover truth when science finds itself wrong" (a very unscientific check and balance system if you ask me).

I am all for science and progress, but when scientists are looked at to explain my consciousness (who can explain my consciousness better than me), that's not science. That's a religion. So when a theist tells me that I am not "saved" and is going to hell; or an atheist tells me that I won't exists at all after death; I tend to look at them both as being theistic simpletons trying desperately to brainwash me with their own delusions. The bottom line is that no one knows what happens to anyone after death from this realm. I feel certain that my consciousness will live on in some form or fashion. However, I know for a fact that consciousness (not atoms and molecules) is why I am here. Without consciousness, you are not "here". Without consciousness, you are not "anything". It is really that simple. This is why doctors often put their patients to sleep during painful procedures. This act takes the patient's consciousness away from what is being done to the body (which helps the patient recover faster). I hate to rant, but the connection between consciousness and reality is just too obvious for someone like myself to ignore. And YES, I am an atheist (just not a theistic science worshiping one).

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-19-2011 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
Quote:
So you mean you've never had a dream that moved you?
No!

Quote:
You've never had a thought so interesting that it left you in a bit of a daze?
Ummm, no! (Not unless you count throwing Campbell into a pit full of poisonous snakes).

Quote:
You have never been so overwelmed by your own thoughts/feelings that you could not function "normally" in this physical realm (until those strong feelings went away)?
No!

I'm a freak!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
No!

Ummm, no! (Not unless you count throwing Campbell into a pit full of poisonous snakes).

No!

I'm a freak!!!
Wow, no thoughts, no dreams, no wishes, no intuition. Heck, not even a "wet dream" during your adolescent years (the "first time" for most guys if they're honest). If what you say is true (which I doubt you are being truthful here), then you are not alive (or not real).

Anyways, my point was that your consciousness (ie, what goes on in your head) has more to do with your existence than what you currently give it credit for. This is NOT a theistic message. This is just another atheist (like yourself) stating the obvious.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,686,874 times
Quote:
Wow, no thoughts, no dreams, no wishes, no intuition. Heck, not even a "wet dream" during your adolescent years (the "first time" for most guys if they're honest). If what you say is true (which I doubt you are being truthful here), then you are not alive (or not real).
He dreams, just nothing profound enough to move him, they are just dreams. Neither have I.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
He dreams, just nothing profound enough to move him, they are just dreams. Neither have I.
Nightmares, wet dreams, dreams of dead loved ones, etc are dreams we all have. And yes, they move us whether we believe they do or not. If they didn't "move us", we would not be having them in the first place.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,686,874 times
Quote:
Nightmares, wet dreams, dreams of dead loved ones, etc are dreams we all have. And yes, they move us whether we believe they do or not. If they didn't "move us", we would not be having them in the first place.
Dreams are memories, wishes and thoughts, conscience or sub conscience.. Nothing supernatural about them. And yes, you would still have them. Brain at work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...e-results.html

Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Dreams are memories, wishes and thoughts, conscience or sub conscience.. Nothing supernatural about them.
There is no such thing as the "supernatural". There is only nature. We tend to label nature as being "super" only when we encounter a characteristic of nature that we just don't understand.

As for your explanation of all dreams, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-19-2011 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality