Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I once again bow to your superior intellect. Perhaps someday we can actually have a discussion when you get over the need to dismiss a POV with which you disagree.
Well grow up, I dismissed your POV as it is nonsense, you obviously have no concept of what I as an atheist think, and I explained why. You don't counter with your reasons to support your POV, but by crying and insulting. I didn't take a toy away from you in the sandbox, but you are behaving like I did.

You posed the question as if you actually wanted to learn something, but obviously not, but was merely a way to disguise your attempt at trolling. Many of the believers here actually want to understand the POV of others, obviously you are not so afflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,573,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well grow up, I dismissed your POV as it is nonsense,
My point exactly.

Must be like 1AM where you live. I don't know about you, but it is time for bed. So the wife says. I think she is right.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:
My point exactly.

Must be like 1AM where you live. I don't know about you, but it is time for bed. So the wife says. I think she is right.
Your selective editing of even what I say is sad, must come from decades of cherry picking the bible to make the words say what you want them to say.

What I said was, with the part you chose to ignore bolded, "Well grow up, I dismissed your POV as it is nonsense, you obviously have no concept of what I as an atheist think, and I explained why." You cannot tell anyone what they think, yet you seem to believe you can. It is blatently clear that you sir are a troll, and now that you can't land what you have on the troll line, you don't know what to do, do you?

Don't worry about my what time it is here, I'm a big boy and can set my own bed time.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No it provides the fantasy of security and riches, and nothing else. You are chasing nothing but a fantasy, and missing so much of life in your headlong rush to preparing for death.
That's your opinion only. It is not based in any factual evidence. BTW, what am I'm missing?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,724,348 times
Quote:
Faith is defined in many ways. One of the major definitions of faith is:
  • strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
  • belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

I contend that Atheists operate on a type of faith. If you believe something to be so without proof or evidence then one is operating in faith.
OK, what particular belief are you talking about and why do you think that this belief isn't based on evidence? Individual atheists believe lots of things, but until you let us know which ones you want to talk about it's tough to respond.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:53 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,022,910 times
It seems useless to explain facts to theists of this sort. These kind of folk are 'asking questions,' but they're not really asking a question. They're just stating their opinions and claiming they are fact. When the facts are clearly explained to them they continue to cling to the idea that their previous opinions are objectively true even though the facts have been shown to be contrary to their point of view. Case in point, you explain the fact that atheism isn't necessarily the belief that one is absolutely certain there is no god. There are two different positions within atheism.
Gnostic atheism: the belief that one knows there is no god.

Agnostic atheism: the lack of belief in gods, but accepting there is a slight possibility there is a god. One can be 99% sure there is no god, but they still accept a remote possibly that there is a god. This isn't a faith based position since it isn't postulating the idea that one is absolutely certain there is no god.

Most atheists are agnostic atheists.

A lot of theists ignore this fact though. Even though this has been explained to them a multitude of times they continue to ignore it because anything contrary to their previously held beliefs is automatically wrong in their understanding. Even after the responses clearly explaining why atheism isn't a faith based position, these sort of theists will continue to postulate the lie that it is.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A perfect description of faith. Belief with no evidence whatsoever.
I don't describe myself as having faith, but rather confidence in what I know to be consistent and true. I have confidence that eventually spring will arrive, but this year it's getting rather shaky.
Faith is not blind. I have much evidence.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,758,119 times
Quote:
I once again bow to your superior intellect. Perhaps someday we can actually have a discussion when you get over the need to dismiss a POV with which you disagree.
Your passive aggressive manner is very off putting.

If you can't handle the arguments then don't pose questions.

If you are intellectually out maneuvered then accept it graciously.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,852,441 times
Quote:
  • belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

I contend that Atheists operate on a type of faith. If you believe something to be so without proof or evidence then one is operating in faith.

Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the Atheist POV. I just see such strong convictions among many atheists, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't.

This thread is meant to challenge and to enlighten. And to make some folk realize that it is not just the religious who believe something in faith.
No, you are right. The power of belief is an essential human characteristic. Atheists believe too, the only difference is what they choose to believe (or not).

On spiritual matters, the difference between an atheist and a believer is that an atheist takes matters of belief into his/her own hands, rather than relying upon and/or building on the beliefs of others.

When you explore the wider world beyond religion, it is hard NOT to come to the conclusion there is no god, afterlife, grand reason to exist, ect. All our current evidence points to the depressing truth that we are merely hairless bipedal apes with big heads who became what we are by chance, in a universe governed by chance.

Perhaps a greater perspective would change that notion... but despite claims to the contrary, humanity simply does NOT have access to a greater perspective. I believe this to be true and proclaim it's truthfulness, though I will continue to try to stay open to any new developments.

Last edited by Chango; 04-14-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,570,520 times
Quote:

Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the Atheist POV. I just see such strong convictions among many atheists, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't.

This thread is meant to challenge and to enlighten. And to make some folk realize that it is not just the religious who believe something in faith.
This thread is meant to beat an old horse to death. Trying to force your own definition (religious in nature by all appearances) on to others in what the poster supposes is a new and thoughful manner. Been done before and done better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality