Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,868,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee512 View Post
you know, i've been going through the whole "what's the meaning of it all" phase and have been thinking, "well, maybe this is it. maybe you're alive right now and when you die, you die. And that's it. that's all there is."

It's so unsettling and upsetting even..how do you cope with the thought that the people you love here and the life you have right now might mean nothing once you/they die? that the people you loved and passed are just gone. worm food and nothing more. no souls, no spirits, no afterlife. nothing.
Me too. https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...less-life.html

You aren't alone in such feelings, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,199,502 times
Quote:
you know, i've been going through the whole "what's the meaning of it all" phase and have been thinking, "well, maybe this is it. maybe you're alive right now and when you die, you die. And that's it. that's all there is."

It's so unsettling and upsetting even..how do you cope with the thought that the people you love here and the life you have right now might mean nothing once you/they die? that the people you loved and passed are just gone. worm food and nothing more. no souls, no spirits, no afterlife. nothing.
I don't know.

I used to believe in reincarnation, karma and all that until my mother died. I asked her to give me a sign if there was anything beyond the veil, and so far, nothing. I know that if there was any way that she could have done it, she would have. So the lack of any tangible proof is unsettling to my former belief system.

It looks like I will just have to wait and see.

On the other hand, I do believe that we are here for a "reason". I believe that everything we do in life is leading up to one big moment in time. For everyone it is something different. But it is very important that we learn our lessons well in life so that when our big moment happens we are ready.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

67 posts, read 149,304 times
Time is only to keep everything from happening at once.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,235,903 times
I don't think there is any overarching 'meaning' in our lives. Those who have been close to you are important to you, but that's true for almost everyone about their own. Isn't that enough? It's enought for me to try to enjoy the life I have (and care about those people close to me) without being concerned about its being 'meaningless'. That is a pointless preoccupation.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,681,277 times
Among many people we believe that all life must be respected and that our Creator deserves our love and respect and that we should walk in balance with all creation. We believe that the earth is our grandmother and teacher, her ways and truth are to be studied. We believe honoring our Elders. They teach us that at the end of our life walk, we should leave no tracks other than our families and our students. I believe that we will live on in our immediate family and in the teachings that we leave behind.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,492,416 times
Quote:

I'm going through the same thing. I think you have to get to the point where you are dazzled merely by your own existence (and the existence of everything else). We take it all for granted, but its really very weird.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,367,636 times
Maybe they don't become nothing? That's why I consider myself agnostic rather than an atheist. I have to believe that there is something of an afterlife, though I do not know what it is.

Nevermind that this is not the official definition of agnosticism. I honestly do not care what the official definition of agnosticism is.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,397 times
Quote:

well it is true they are nothing more then just worm food gone and has nothing left over...... when you die all thats left is a cold body nothing is left and nothing moves on.... but if you read the bible and read John 5:28,29 it talks about the new system and that the dead would be resurrected when he killed all the bad people. If you want more information on that i suggest you go to the Jehovah's witnesses in your area they can elaborate on what i have to say. this goes to all who feel like they want to know more about what i have to say...

Last edited by wshssabrina; 06-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: i wanted to add to what i said

Old 06-09-2011, 12:33 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,235,903 times
I simply don't think it matters. No one can possibly know whether anything happens to us after we die, other than decomposition or the eventual return of our ashes to the earth. My bet is that nothing else happens. But I don't find that depressing. Why should it matter? It matters while we are alive, just as it mattered to those alive a hundred years ago and will matter to those alive a hundred years hence (if anyone is... now that's depressing).

Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,138,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I simply don't think it matters. No one can possibly know whether anything happens to us after we die, other than decomposition or the eventual return of our ashes to the earth. My bet is that nothing else happens. But I don't find that depressing. Why should it matter? It matters while we are alive, just as it mattered to those alive a hundred years ago and will matter to those alive a hundred years hence (if anyone is... now that's depressing).
We know what happens to our bodies, but aren't we more than our bodies? Our spirits are wonderfully & mysteriously eternal. Somebody close to me had an amazing experience that I'd rather not share, because it might just get torn to shreds... but it demonstrates clearly that spiritually, we continue after death.

I've struggled with depression since I was a kid. What has helped me is reading Near Death Experiences. Some are so inspiring & uplifting!

This world is full of so much to think about! So many different perspectives we could take on anything! While, I respect an honest search for truth, I also realize the importance of believing in what inspires us!
When somebody gives you a hug, you don't think about all of the mechanisms of how to give a hug, you just enjoy the hug & feel love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality