Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Deuteronomy 22:5
“A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God."

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."

Leviticus 18:22
"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination"
Ok, so women who wear pants are going to the down under and I don't mean Australia. I guess all of those women wearing pants suits are done for as are those who ride horses.

The other two in the actual Hebrew don't translate into what is posted here. I suggest learning to read the origional. It can be translated to mean you can have sex with another man, not just more than one, or as some Orthodox rabbis interpert it now, you can't have anal sex, but other sex is OK with the same sex and nowhere does it prohibit a man loving a man. And there is no mention of lesbian sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The Bible itself will tell you it was written by inspired men of God. And if you are going to white out the parts of the Bible you don't want to believe, then why believe any of it?
That's a question you could ask yourself.

But sadly, you don't appear to be aware how much you "white out" the parts that don't suit you.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Ok, so women who wear pants are going to the down under and I don't mean Australia. I guess all of those women wearing pants suits are done for as are those who ride horses.

The other two in the actual Hebrew don't translate into what is posted here. I suggest learning to read the origional. It can be translated to mean you can have sex with another man, not just more than one, or as some Orthodox rabbis interpert it now, you can't have anal sex, but other sex is OK with the same sex and nowhere does it prohibit a man loving a man. And there is no mention of lesbian sex.
The Leviticus passages actually use 2 different words to refer to "to lie". The first, with a man is Shakab - which is always used in the Bible to denote forced or deceitful sex (rape, intoxication, seduction etc.). And of course, the clause "as with a woman" or "in beds of a woman" is significant. Had it been an outright condemnation on gays, it would have just said "Thou shalt not have consensual sex with a man".

The conditional "with a woman/in beds of a woman" indicate during temple prostitution, men were forcing other men to play the submissive female sexual role, or were doing those acts in a woman's bed. Both of which were viewed as taboo (abomination), because women were inferior to men, so to behave like a woman in that cultural was very shameful. And to do so while worshipping pagan gods made it a big no no., one worthy of death back then.

Obviously, women are equal to men now, so there is no such thing as "in beds of a woman" or other submissive connotations, and gays don't participate in prostitution in pagan temples anymore.

The anti-gay crowd, however, will continue to ignore the pagan context of those verses, as well as the fact that the Hebrew uses different words for "to lie" and adds the clause "as with a woman".

All indicate it's not a flat out condemnation on gays - it's very very specific and cultural.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Because Jesus brought the New Covenant which was promised to us in the Old Testament. And that Covenant was shown to us when they brought the woman caught in audultry before Jesus and they said to Him. This woman was caught in the very act. The Law demands that she be put to death. What should we do with her. And Jesus said to them, he who is without sin throw the first stone. Of course the men left then, and Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more.

Jesus saw the sin, yet He nolonger pushed the punishment. And we Christians must follow His example.
No,no Campo. You're just squirming old beast. I said that, according to your Bible, your god's laws still operate and are binding forever. You agreed with that. Your god's laws say that you have to kill homosexuals and anyone that works on the Sabbath. So please tell us why you are not prepared to follow your god's laws.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do know that Jesus apparently never said that right? The "he who is without sin" story does not exist in the original manuscripts.

But regardless, you don't seem to listen to anything Jesus did say. He never condemned homosexuals. And Paul's letters have been corrupted related to that issue.

So when Jesus said heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Your saying Jesus Christ was wrong? Are you saying that God can create the universe, but He can't get His Book right? And when the Old testament tells us that men that have sex with other men should be put to death. Are you saying the Scriptures never said this? And do you know that we don't have any original manuscripts? And do you know, the account of Jesus saying he who is without sin cast the first stone. Is found in almost every copy on earth?

Oh I listen alright, yet I don't think you know very much about the Bible. And that is why I believe your statements are filled with so many errors.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
So when Jesus said heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Your saying Jesus Christ was wrong? Are you saying that God can create the universe, but He can't get His Book right?
Based on how many errors and intentional changes to various translations, I'd say God never had any intention to ensure a flawless bible. There is more to God than a book of paper.

Quote:
And when the Old testament tells us that men that have sex with other men should be put to death. Are you saying the Scriptures never said this?
I'm saying that verse is talking about temple prostitution and the forced submission of a man into a woman's position. It's a cultural taboo (which is what the word translated as abomination actually means in Hebrew).

Quote:
And do you know that we don't have any original manuscripts? And do you know, the account of Jesus saying he who is without sin cast the first stone. Is found in almost every copy on earth?
It's not found in the earliest known Greek manuscripts. It's found in modern day Bibles like the NIV, or NKJV because they are all copies of one another.

Quote:
Oh I listen alright, yet I don't think you know very much about the Bible. And that is why I believe your statements are filled with so many errors.
I'd say I know quite a bit more than you. Anyone so blinded as to believe a book of paper is the perfect embodiment of God himself hasn't the foggiest clue what went into the creation of said book.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No,no Campo. You're just squirming old beast. I said that, according to your Bible, your god's laws still operate and are binding forever. You agreed with that. Your god's laws say that you have to kill homosexuals and anyone that works on the Sabbath. So please tell us why you are not prepared to follow your god's laws.
Coo-ee Campo! Still waiting. Tell us why you are wasting time posting here instead of doing what your god demands of you?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Based on how many errors and intentional changes to various translations, I'd say God never had any intention to ensure a flawless bible. There is more to God than a book of paper.

I'm saying that verse is talking about temple prostitution and the forced submission of a man into a woman's position. It's a cultural taboo (which is what the word translated as abomination actually means in Hebrew).

It's not found in the earliest known Greek manuscripts. It's found in modern day Bibles like the NIV, or NKJV because they are all copies of one another.

I'd say I know quite a bit more than you. Anyone so blinded as to believe a book of paper is the perfect embodiment of God himself hasn't the foggiest clue what went into the creation of said book.

1. I think you have to go as close to the orginals as you can to get the full meaning from Scripture. And I believe we should do this anytime a real question comes up.

2. Leviticus 20 is not speaking about temple prostitution. God told Moses that if a man has sexual relations with a man as he would a woman they should be put to death. Even the verse you are thinking about in Romans 1:26,27 tells you that God gave them over to a reprobate mind. And because of this, men began having sex with other men. The Scripture tells you, this was a vile act. The act of men having sex with another man was considered evil. And that belief was also shown to us in Leviticus 20.

3. There are other verses that are not found in the early Greek manuscrips, however such stories were quoted before those manuscrips were written. Much of the Bible was based on oral traditions. Papis an early church father speaks of the story of Jesus and the woman that was accused of many sins in 125 A.D. So naturally the story did exist. 17 of the 23 Old Latin manuscripts contain John 7-8 as well.

4. Well Jesus felt His words were of great importance. And we only have his words in that book of paper. And he stated this in Matthew 7:24-27

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Old 04-23-2011, 02:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,034 times
Quote:
Infertile couples and the elderly can't create life either. And homosexuality can't be unnatural when it's prevalent in nature. That's basic logic.

You've presented no facts here.
The fact is that the only way for life to be created in this world when there is a male and a female involved. The elderly shouldn't have even been mentioned because we all know that at a certain point the human body just can't reproduce, and the majority of these elderly you're talking about do have kids and grandkids already from their own making. As far as nature goes you are basically lowering the human species down to the level of animals now.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Coo-ee Campo! Still waiting. Tell us why you are wasting time posting here instead of doing what your god demands of you?
Jesus tells us to bring the good news to the world Rafius. And that is why I am here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality