Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That is your evidence? Then God is likely to be a complete fabrication, a socially approved mass delusion.
No...that is the incontrovertible evidence.

If "God" is perceived..."God" exists...because "God" is a perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No...that is the incontrovertible evidence.

If "God" is perceived..."God" exists...because "God" is a perception.
Hence the important of having rigid definitions, Gldn. People can define that rocky outcropping all they want as "God." However, this doesn't equivocate to the creator being of God.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That is your evidence? Then God is likely to be a complete fabrication, a socially approved mass delusion.
Reality is a matter of perception.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:45 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
The problem is that belief in God would be reduced to a general notion or concept. A favorable opinion or inclination. A conviction not based on reason.

In short , a feeling.

My opinion is that this is a mistake. Our feelings are emotionally driven reactions. When the going gets tough, where is the fortitude to substantiate the previous inclination or feeling that God exits? Exists in what would be ...my world.

My world may become absolute havoc, the idea of God is now felt to be in error. All loving, doesn't seem to fit any more. I shall change my feeling. The concept or general notion may become God , does not exist.

I think the answer rests in the relationship between comprehension of a God of peace or love... and pursuit of same. In this a joint effort is established opening the door to mutual recognition. A relationship which has growth potential through mutually defined goals.

Progress in solace I think... in asking what one can do... rather than, what one can get. Very difficult, but what isn't and offers an obvious joint progress to peace. Installing individuality, which would be more than general.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-06-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
The problem is that belief in God would be reduced to a general notion or concept. A favorable opinion or inclination. A conviction not based on reason.

In short , a feeling.

My opinion is that this is a mistake. Our feelings are emotionally driven reactions. When the going gets tough, where is the fortitude to substantiate the previous inclination or feeling that God exits? Exists in what would be ...my world.

My world may become absolute havoc, the idea of God is now felt to be in error. All loving, doesn't seem to fit any more. I shall change my feeling. The concept or general notion is that God , does not exist.

I think the answer rests in the relationship between comprehension of a God of peace or love... and pursuit of same. In this a joint effort is established opening the door to mutual recognition. A relationship which has growth potential through mutually defined goals.

Progress in solace I think... in asking what one can do... rather than, what one can get.
Well said, Blue.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Hence the important of having rigid definitions, Gldn. People can define that rocky outcropping all they want as "God." However, this doesn't equivocate to the creator being of God.
I agree, in theory, Konraden...and, of course, I myself go way beyond "God as a Perception" and have my own determinations as to "attributes of" and "beliefs about" God, and how "God", as I perceive "God", figures into "the grand scheme of things".

I was addressing Nozz's contention that he has never (Nadda, Zip, Nothing, etc.) been given any evidence for God.
I was explaining that "God" doesn't have to be anything more than a concept...a "title" so to speak, that people assign to whatever it is they perceive as such.
And, based on the fact that it is a given that billions of people have perceived and/or viewed something as "God"...it can NEVER be claimed that there is no evidence for "God".

Old 05-07-2011, 05:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post

In short , a feeling.

My world may become absolute havoc, the idea of God is now felt to be in error. All loving, doesn't seem to fit any more. I shall change my feeling. The concept or general notion may become God , does not exist.

Progress in solace I think... in asking what one can do... rather than, what one can get. Very difficult, but what isn't and offers an obvious joint progress to peace. Installing individuality, which would be more than general.
Maybe that's why I'm not finding God, because I have no emotions.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

I think that the point was not to look for God in emotions, but in our own actions. IF God is love (which is the only possible definition of a god worthy of being sought that has ever made sense to me), then as we love (in attitude and action, which does not necessarily require emotion) we may find this God.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Atheists always boast that they only believe in science and logic
well .. let's put that statement to the test
1 - Atheism violates the first law of Newton
The first law of Newton says that "an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in steady motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force (static or dynamic)."
So there must be an external force that made the Big Bang to happen at that very moment and forced the universe to begin at that very moment.
2 - Atheism violates the first law of thermodynamics
Law of Conservation of energy or what is known as the first law of thermodynamics says ((matter/energy cannot be created nor can it be destroyed.)) If we contemplate in this law, we come to conclusion that the universe cannot exist. According to this law, the universe does not exist or it's present in the presence of the Creator.
Well this obviously leads the old 'if something can't come from nothing, then where did god come from' argument. AKA the unmoved mover. Maybe that force is simply the universe. And since the idea can't be completely disproved...

Old 05-07-2011, 09:39 PM

912 posts, read 826,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Emotion is defined as a mental state of agitation or disturbance. I think though you may be referring to being thick skinned. Un-moved in human feelings in day to day experience

Being thick skinned is a constructive necessity where happenings suggest a threat to harmony. If I have a neighbor who is constantly saying things that are insulting, I will become in-different relative to the repeated comments due to the already decided discovery... that there is no merit to the comments.

This then becomes a learned process when above neighbor appears.

If I find similar insensitive behavior at work, again the learned process of being thick skinned is required.

If in time, the day to day experience seems to promote disruption... in time the process of being thick skinned will become a part of the day,

A new or altered personality may emerge out of a perceived necessity and habit

A habit deemed necessary out of defense of ones real sense of sensitivity enabling.... deserved harmony and expectation, in fair exchange.

So while the thick skinned appear un-emotional or feel without sensitivity to self... the sensitivity lies protected and enormously vital, under cover.

The experience in day to day perception requires a comprehension in worthy cause for sensitive concern. Positive feelings for fellow man in hope. Hope in exchange for hope rather than non-hope in exchange for... non-hope.

I find best results in re-establishing potential for hope ...in the over-all "real"composition of the human being. In order to en-sure good results ...I eliminated contemporary TV . I can get the news on line. Even sports are interrupted with suggestions of what people require to measure up. Contemporary media is a destructive brainwashing in 95% of presentation .
The suggestions are endless. I think most know the deal, but what about the effect over time.
Time which would include social brain washing , securing the vineer suggestion of man.

Suggestions have an impact on our lives. Regardless of character if someone is told something in-directly, over and over and over , things happen.

There are some things we can eliminate and as well do which can restore a sense of trust in
mans potential participation enhancing harmony.

Looking for ways to help un-fortunate or similar theme is obviously what the mind would like best.I only watch old movies because the people are a little more cheerful due to normal care for others ingrained in the society at that time. No crass suggestions and no bracing yourself

In this hobby through time, a suggestion of what society can be is re-furbished, a new look , more polished. With this suggestion a new perspective in mans potencial for harmony. Potencial in others then translates into, positive hope.

Its our translation of the social in deserved or un-deserved recognition worthy of our hope. That would be my thinking .Changing the in-put in order to change the translation, reading, company, even changing grocery outlet due to a negative feeling.

Once the perceived potential for man is re-established, the perceived un-worthy feelings for care... may diminish. Diminish because the shallow suggestions become translated into insecurities. Shallow suggestions would then be known fear. Fear is weak and without. A confidence in self and others through potential may advance progress to balance ... in appropriate and deserved mutual harmony. A positive suggestion, rejecting a negative suggestion

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-07-2011 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality