Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,688,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The way it is...

Believers make god claims.

Atheists don't believe them.

We make no claims. We have nothing to prove.

Your move.
The way it REALLY is:
Theism is the "Worldwide Standard Concept" for thousands of years.

Though I will agree it IS true Atheism really does have "nothing"...EXCEPT in their "Burden of Proof" against the existing standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,717,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The stupidity is in your inability to understand/discern the point of the post.

. . .

As usual...the OBJECTIVE FACT that Theism has always overwhelmingly dominated Atheism, gets an Atheist all bolloxed up and spouting the usual "Unicorns Don't Really Exist" strawman spew.
Luckily, it never ceases to amuse me...and with "invivible" thrown in for good measure, what else can I say but, "Thanks Jack". LOL!!
Nobody cares about this. Literally nobody.

If the entirety of your factual assertion is that the majority of people believe in god, you'll get no argument from me or from any other atheist.

If you want to build on that to get us to agree that some god actually exists, well then there's a problem. The beliefs of a majority of people have no bearing on this question.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 05-10-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM

38,857 posts, read 25,645,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The way it REALLY is:
Theism is the "Worldwide Standard Concept" for thousands of years.
And the number of gods already on the scrapheap of history numbers in the hundreds.

Quote:
Though I will agree it IS true Atheism really does have "nothing"...EXCEPT in their "Burden of Proof" against the existing standard.
Atheism has nothing to prove. Those making god claims are either bluffing or they really are followers of some deity or other. Thing is, they all claim the one they follow is "the ONE true god."

So, one of two realities exists...

a) All of them are wrong.

b) One of them is right.

Just my own heathen opinion here. But I think if one of them was right, everybody would know. Any real deity worth his salt would know how to end the controversy and bickering. Since all this squabbling between different name brands of believers never stops, I'm convinced none of them knows anything about it. They just latch onto what their families tell them to latch onto and leave it at that. But they take it oh so personally. I go with a). But people's vanities lead them to think they're among "the chosen few." The only true believers who'll be favored by their one true deity while everyone else is tossed into some sort of horrible eternal fate or another.

Scares some folks. Sounds nutty to others.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:46 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,154,931 times
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

Christopher Hitchens

Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,774,936 times
Quote:
The way it is...

Believers make god claims.

Atheists don't believe them.

We make no claims. We have nothing to prove.

Your move.
At least some of you claim that God definitely does NOT exist. That's something you need to prove to me to believe it, just as theists need to prove to me that their God exists. Neither of you seem to be able to do so.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,774,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
That's not your argument. At root, your argument is that if your assertion about the existence of god cannot be disproved then it must be true.
Anything not deemed impossible is possible.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM

38,857 posts, read 25,645,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At least some of you claim that God definitely does NOT exist. That's something you need to prove to me to believe it, just as theists need to prove to me that their God exists. Neither of you seem to be able to do so.

Doesn't matter to me what you believe. I reject all god claims myself. Feel free to latch onto your favorite myth.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,508,152 times
Quote:
Perhaps. But is it probable?

If I assert that my god is a flying pink elephant with Elvis tatoos, can you prove that my god does not exist? There are eye-witnesses, prophets, revelations, and claimed miracles attributed to my god.

You can't prove my god does not exist, but you can look at the probabilities and the lack of any hard evidence, and conclude that my god's existence is so very unlikely that it is unreasonable and perhaps even delusional to believe in my god. I view any other person's or religion's god in the same way. Since there is no hard evidence, and the attributes of such god are so extremely improbable, that it requires an unreasonable suspension of reality to actually believe. Sure, there is an insignificantly tiny chance that any god is possible, but my odds are winning the lottery are - literally - infinitely greater.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,717,922 times
Quote:
Until you can point out a comment that one of us has made that the existence of one or a number of gods is impossible, this statement is entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,106,101 times
Quote:
Atheism has nothing to prove. Those making god claims are either bluffing or they really are followers of some deity or other. Thing is, they all claim the one they follow is "the ONE true god."

So, one of two realities exists...

a) All of them are wrong.

b) One of them is right.
Actually not true. You're putting belief systems in an either/or binary, which excludes the possibilities of polytheism (acknowledging lots of gods), and monolatrism/henotheism (acknowledging lots of gods, but only worshipping one 'cause he's The Best).

Sorry for the derail, I just couldn't let that one slip by without saying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality