Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,039,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You can say that again. For a thousand years the church required infant baptism. When folks began to doubt that god would condemn an infant they no longer required it. The scripture which supported it is still there.

For thousands of years the church tolerated and sometimes accommodated slavery. When it became obvious to most people that no human was inferior because of their color the church took a stand against it. The scripture is still there.

For thousands of years the church hunted down witches and tortured them, hanged them and burned them at the stake. When it became obvious to everyone that there is no such thing as witchcraft they shut up about it. The scripture is still there.

For 5000 years billions of fire and brimstone sermons were preached but when public opinion about eternal torture for one's mistakes became strong they shut up about it. The scripture is still there.

One can read the history of the Christian faith and one thing sticks out like a sore thumb. When public sentiment changes about one of their stances and it begins to have an effect on their bottom line profits...they change whatever it is, always have.
And with all the changes, they will still tell you that the bible is the word of God and every last word must be believed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,569,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
And with all the changes, they will still tell you that the bible is the word of God and every last word must be believed.
Yeah and that palace in Rome just keeps getting richer. There are more works of art and jeweled religious trinkets in that place than in any museum. The old men in tall hats and cardinal robes have always fascinated me. When you add bead fondling and smoke pot swinging to the scenario it reminds me of old fashioned witch doctors.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah and that palace in Rome just keeps getting richer. There are more works of art and jeweled religious trinkets in that place than in any museum. The old men in tall hats and cardinal robes have always fascinated me. When you add bead fondling and smoke pot swinging to the scenario it reminds me of old fashioned witch doctors.
Yup. But hey, they aren't worshipping any false idols. It makes me wonder if they'd still think that much of the pope if he were to dress like Jesus. Nothing but a robe and sandals. Would they still look up to him or think he's full of crap.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Yup. But hey, they aren't worshipping any false idols. It makes me wonder if they'd still think that much of the pope if he were to dress like Jesus. Nothing but a robe and sandals. Would they still look up to him or think he's full of crap.
Hard to say rev. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. Since the Roman emperor Constantine took over what was left of the Christian faith about 275 years after Jesus' death the ball has been controlled by the Romans. They made such decisions as leaving out the gospel of Thomas, when Christmas and Easter would be celebrated, how a religious mass would be conducted, where churches would be built and how many, which and where each priest or bishop would be transferred to after they were caught molesting juveniles, etc.

Keep in mind that as the Christian faith dwindles in the United States millions of Catholics are streaming in across our southern border. Gonna' be hard to slow that trend.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Hard to say rev. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. Since the Roman emperor Constantine took over what was left of the Christian faith about 275 years after Jesus' death the ball has been controlled by the Romans. They made such decisions as leaving out the gospel of Thomas, when Christmas and Easter would be celebrated, how a religious mass would be conducted, where churches would be built and how many, which and where each priest or bishop would be transferred to after they were caught molesting juveniles, etc.

Keep in mind that as the Christian faith dwindles in the United States millions of Catholics are streaming in across our southern border. Gonna' be hard to slow that trend.
You're right. Each generation has to bring in their own ideas and we keep getting further and further from the truth. It's gonna be a grand day when the truth does finally set in and all those who are being controlled and doing the controlling will be groveling to ask forgiveness. I just don't understand what's so hard about a belief that wants us to just love one another. No need for a religion in that. Oh well, I'll just keep doing my thing and hope for the best.

My sisters a catholic and we tend to not discuss religion cause she doesn't like mine very much. She thinks that you have to do all that other garbage when I just think that love is the answer.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You're right. Each generation has to bring in their own ideas and we keep getting further and further from the truth. It's gonna be a grand day when the truth does finally set in and all those who are being controlled and doing the controlling will be groveling to ask forgiveness. I just don't understand what's so hard about a belief that wants us to just love one another. No need for a religion in that. Oh well, I'll just keep doing my thing and hope for the best.

My sisters a catholic and we tend to not discuss religion cause she doesn't like mine very much. She thinks that you have to do all that other garbage when I just think that love is the answer.
When I was very young...'course in the south, I heard, "Give me a Catholic till they're ten years old and I'll give you a Catholic forever."

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM

64,089 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
It can't be in our DNA, as there are many people like me who were true believers for a huge portion of our lives then become non-believers and vice versa. DNA doesn't change when you convert to a new religion or no religion at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
.........the DNA is important but are we in posession of all the facts. I read that the Chinese descend from Jewish blood. It is possible we all did? I AM JUST SAYING it is in the hands of Time and the story is still unraveling
Quote:
Yup. One of the things I have been taught is that what you think, so shall it be because thoughts are things. That's why we must always strive to think positively in everything, even in the worst times.
Quote:
You know...it more simple than a Christian gene or a Jewish gene. There are more than 4000 ancient gods being worshipped in this world after nearly 10,000 years. It's only one thing. The organized brainwashing of innocent, gullible infants and small children. Stop that and after a couple of generations VOILA!!! No more ancient god worship. It's coming for sure and this Internet thing will be the main reason.

Back in the 1950's I remember Christian preachers doing whole sermons on the TV antennas sticking up from the roof of every house being Satan's horns. LMAO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
a denial gene, a drunk gene, criminal gene. Or maybe there is more than one factor times ( another)!!!!factorial and divided by X . Theories change......teachings of religion change. The evil in the hearts of men lives on. The tenancy of a Great Nation to deteriorate is documented and the plot to give us a push is on every TV channel. This is obvious to the casual observer with a healthy brain
There is a lot of confusion indicated here because we don't think of cognitive "structures" as the "spiritual bones" of our "spiritual body." Spiritual DNA determines the "structure" around which our cognitions are formed but our environment determines the ones that survive and become dominant. Our spiritual maturity and cognitive sophistication determines the "acceptable" content of our thoughts.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is a lot of confusion indicated here because we don't think of cognitive "structures" as the "spiritual bones" of our "spiritual body." Spiritual DNA determines the "structure" around which our cognitions are formed but our environment determines the ones that survive and become dominant. Our spiritual maturity and cognitive sophistication determines the "acceptable" content of our thoughts.
How's 'bout you show me some of that "Spiritual DNA?"

Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 AM

64,089 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
How's 'bout you show me some of that "Spiritual DNA?"
As soon as we are able to understand the complex protein fold-ups of the central nervous system (we barely can do this for the gross physical characteristics) . . . then we might have some ability to begin deciphering the role of DNA and RNA activation in the expression of cognitive structures. Till then . . . you are out of luck. But the principle is the same as that for the physical characteristics . . . just far more complex.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As soon as we are able to understand the complex protein fold-ups of the central nervous system (we barely can do this for the gross physical characteristics) . . . then we might have some ability to begin deciphering the role of DNA and RNA activation in the expression of cognitive structures. Till then . . . you are out of luck. But the principle is the same as that for the physical characteristics . . . just far more complex.
So you're way ahead of the modern physicists, scientists, and medical professionals in that arena...is that what you expect us to believe?

Was it Zeus or Jupiter who led you to this discovery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality