Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,769,818 times

Advertisements

Some people think there is a gay gene, and criminal gene. Is there a Christian gene? A Jewish gene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 AM

659 posts, read 1,103,044 times
No. I'd be willing to entertain the notion a gene that affects our need to appeal to authority figures, which in turn may affect our need to believe in the biggest authority figure of all, but there's no specific [insert religion name here] gene.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM

28,104 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Some people think there is a gay gene, and criminal gene. Is there a Christian gene? A Jewish gene?
I don't think there's a Christian gene or a Jewish gene or anything that specific. However, people who understand the Meyers-Briggs personality designations well will tell you that people who have "S" and "J" in their personality type are much more inclined to have spiritual inclinations than people who don't. Research seems to bear this out.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,204 times
In respect to nature vs. nurture ,
religion would definatively be considered nurture. Religions are based on rules/rulers and rules have to be taught thus they can be considered learned inherited traits.

riddle solved?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:41 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,142,277 times
Quote:

No religion gene.

Stupid gene?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM

659 posts, read 1,103,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think there's a Christian gene or a Jewish gene or anything that specific. However, people who understand the Meyers-Briggs personality designations well will tell you that people who have "S" and "J" in their personality type are much more inclined to have spiritual inclinations than people who don't. Research seems to bear this out.
Now that you mention it, someone posted a thread a few weeks ago where they matched up MBTI personality types with likely religious preferences. The only one I remember was when they matched INTPs with Buddhism, just because it happens to be accurate in my case.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Default My Sheep Know My Voice?

This is not a sheep or a voice, under consideration........what is it?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Not exactly solved.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
In respect to nature vs. nurture ,
religion would definitively be considered nurture. Religions are based on rules/rulers and rules have to be taught thus they can be considered learned inherited traits.

riddle solved?
............over time religion may have become part of our basic traits ....as if it was DNA( I know not).........where you find certain religions predominate you find certain benefits and certain problems ...maybe some are obvious , so to not insight a riot, I trust you can think of some examples. All systems run down unless maintained carefully. Churches, governments, family, cities and towns. Bad Religion is the result of bad DNA. Or something close to DNA....(damaged, toxic brains).....so inherit in the being of all peoples, that a management of the problem is the only way. It can not be removed in this life. Some fight it , some accept it. Any problem is a question mark, until it it solved. What I say is it must be brought under Good Management. This problem seems to me to be a constant presence, with out end, like death,weeds, sickness, accidents . When peoples believe there is not a better way, or there's is the only way,,,,,,,it seems amiss. But there is one who said " I AM the WAY"......was He Right?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
Quote:
Fundamental beliefs have nothing to do with our dna.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Default But.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Fundamental beliefs have nothing to do with our dna.
...........Does DNA have anything to do with our belief.......some people are Questioning Their religion based on new DNA studies..........The Mormon Prophets told American Indians that they were from Jewish blood lines, but it appears no to match the DNA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality