Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:37 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilera View Post
Here is my question

How can mormons be so successful and happy when their beliefs are clearly misguided??
I think this kind of sets things up in all-or-nothing fashion. No one religion has everything 100% right or 100% wrong.

Just one example of Mormon beliefs that are widely accepted as scientific fact today would be the health code in the Word of Wisdom. The Word of Wisdom prohibits the use of tobacco. It also advocates eating of meat and fowl "sparingly". These things were taught in Mormonism (and other religions, too) 150 years ago...when they were much more controversial ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
...now back to the original question...

I converted to the Mormon religion at age 24.

What I liked was that it did seem to have answers to a lot of things. I still believe in the overwhelming majority of the doctrine.

But I am gay, and ultimately, that was the dealbreaker for me, so I went inactive.

--What I dislike about the religion is that it preaches the doctrine of continuing revelation but it has actually become a very tradition-bound religion, closing itself off to the possibility of new revelation. I suspect this is why there really hasn't been much new revelation in recent decades.

--I also feel it has drifted from it's original roots, as is often the case with any new religion or institution.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 AM

896 posts, read 1,867,298 times
[quote=Boompa;19280535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

How does that apply if they are worshipping a false GOD?
What's a false god? And how would one worship one.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,902,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this kind of sets things up in all-or-nothing fashion. No one religion has everything 100% right or 100% wrong.

Just one example of Mormon beliefs that are widely accepted as scientific fact today would be the health code in the Word of Wisdom. The Word of Wisdom prohibits the use of tobacco. It also advocates eating of meat and fowl "sparingly". These things were taught in Mormonism (and other religions, too) 150 years ago...when they were much more controversial ideas.
Yeah, and to support what you said about "not everything 100% right", the Word of Wisdom also prohibits the use of alcohol and coffee, even though current scientific research shows the health benefits of drinking wine and coffee in moderation.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,447,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Yeah, and to support what you said about "not everything 100% right", the Word of Wisdom also prohibits the use of alcohol and coffee, even though current scientific research shows the health benefits of drinking wine and coffee in moderation.
The church also fixates on some portions of the WoW,like no coffee,tea,tobacco,or[recreational drugs which weren't mentioned] but mostly ignore the healthy diet aspects.....You can be morbidly obese,living off a diet exclusively of mcdonalds food and get a temple recommend,but if you drink a cup of tea once a month you can't,even though there is no proven health detriment to drinking moderate amounts of tea.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,111,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
The church also fixates on some portions of the WoW,like no coffee,tea,tobacco,or[recreational drugs which weren't mentioned] but mostly ignore the healthy diet aspects.....You can be morbidly obese,living off a diet exclusively of mcdonalds food and get a temple recommend,but if you drink a cup of tea once a month you can't,even though there is no proven health detriment to drinking moderate amounts of tea.
I'm all for the Word of Wisdom. I think it's a good thing overall. I think it would be kind of silly for the Church to say, "You may now have coffee in moderate amounts." I mean, what's moderate? I actually (as you probably know, Bob ) allow myself three glasses of wine a year -- one on my birthday, one on Thanksgiving and one on Christmas. I also hold a temple recommend. Do I feel guilty? Sort of, but not guilty enough to stop. I know that the amount of wine I drink is not bad for me and that I really do take good care of my body. To me, that's what the Word of Wisdom is all about. I just think it should have been left as it was originally given -- not as a commandment but as a word of wisdom. In other words, I don't think obedience to it should be a requirement for a temple recommend. I probably live the Word of Wisdom as closely as I strive to attend my meetings, which is another temple recommend question I certainly don't stress out over.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:36 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,369,785 times
[quote=smilera;19284045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What is Frank's religion please? Is he mormon? I like this.
He was Catholic. Angela's Ashes is his memoir of growing up in Ireland in poverty with an alcoholic father.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:38 PM

[quote=mysticaltyger;19330810]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

JMO, but since none of us have all the answers/priorities in correct order, we all worship false gods to some degree or other.
Not that it really matters, but my name was attached to the post that you quoted, but it wasn't my post.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 PM

[quote=northsider;19331186]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

What's a false god? And how would one worship one.
AGAIN, please go back. I posted nothing about false gods, but somehow my name is attached to that post. Grrr.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,447,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm all for the Word of Wisdom. I think it's a good thing overall. I just think it should have been left as it was originally given -- not as a commandment but as a word of wisdom. .

Well we agree.I'm not really 'against' the Word of Wisdom,just the way it has been somewhat dissected and selectivly applied.Some parts are now a 'commandment' while others are still merely good advice.

A case in point,there is a guy in my ward who is to be baptized next friday.He has been attending the church for several years,but had trouble quitting cigarettes,he now has quit so he can be baptized.If next month he relapses we aren't going to kick him out,[nor should we!],we are just going to encourage him to quit smoking again....so what was the point of denying him getting baptized for the past 4 years? I certainly applaud the churches efforts in encouraging people to stop smoking....I don't even object to the denial of temple recommend aspect....I just think refusing to allow people to even join the church over some fairly trivial things hampers growth and makes us look sort of silly.
I think the emphasis placed on certain parts of it also encourages many to go inactive....when you use terms like 'worthiness' to describe those who follow the 'mandatory'parts well you can make those who struggle with them feel 'unworthy' of hanging out with the rest of us on sunday.I'm sure the church wants those who smoke or drink a cup of coffee in the morning to attend church.....but I think that 'guilt' over such things stops many from doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality