Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,908,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How do you know that?
Reason, logic and common sense....not to mention the mountains of verifiable scientific evidence that disproves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,154,209 times
Quote:
Has Steven had an NDE?

NDE's prove nothing. We understand very little when it come to the brain. So what one experiences during near death is very circumspect. Using NDE's as proof of the afterlife is foolish.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,908,963 times
Quote:
Has Steven had an NDE?
No he hasn't...and neither has the boy in the video.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM

33,624 posts, read 37,278,025 times
Quote:
Has Steven had an NDE?
Lots of people have had near death experiences, including me, but there is nothing supernatural about it.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM

24,529 posts, read 33,416,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Why would such a great being (God) use such primitive tactics to make his will be done? If I were "God", I would have just given people telepathy (that way, no one could lie to the other). I also would not have allowed money to exists (that way, no one steals). I would have made beings able to live without food (no fights over limited resources). I also would show my face to all of my creations so there would be no doubts or debates over whether or not I exist. Could it be that this puny little human blogger would be a "better" God than the current crop of invisible Gods that billions of folks believe in?
What you mentioned does exist, but in the afterlife. It does not exist in mortal life because it is a learning experience and we wouldn't learn anything if everyone had telepathy or if food wasn't necessary.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Lots of people have had near death experiences, including me, but there is nothing supernatural about it.
What happened during your NDE? What did you experience? And how do you know that nobody has a supernatural NDE? But I was asking about Stephen.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
If you don't have an answer for a question then that answer is God.
Pure logic there. All the answers for every question are in the bible.
Makes a lot more sense than believing in nothing!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 PM

I had a blood clot that blocked a major artery in my heart...Knew I was in trouble, but felt no fear, but had a peaceful, calm, almost euphoric sensation and felt detached from reality, as though I was on some kind of wonderful drug...Since that happened I have often said that this would be the way I want to die.
I'm pretty sure the sensations I felt were caused by the lack of blood flow to my brain.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,632,462 times
Quote:
Absolute moral laws do not exist, and I am correct about atheism.
I see "Respect my authority!"

Really why should your or Hawking's opinion about God be any more meaningful than any other educated or life-experienced person? Why is it more valid than Freeman Dyson, John Barrow, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Francis Collins, Nobel laureate Charles H. Townes, and so forth?

Quote:
Why your brain cannot compute that simple fact is beyond me.
The "anyone who disagrees with me on God is incompetent or crazy" idea.

Quote:
Atheists do not believe in any deity...Seems pretty simple to me.
Yes it is simple. Not believing in set theory or gravitons or the time before your birth is also simple. That something is simple doesn't make it right or wrong.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I see "Respect my authority!"

Really why should your or Hawking's opinion about God be any more meaningful than any other educated or life-experienced person? Why is it more valid than Freeman Dyson, John Barrow, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Francis Collins, Nobel laureate Charles H. Townes, and so forth?

The "anyone who disagrees with me on God is incompetent or crazy" idea.

Yes it is simple. Not believing in set theory or gravitons or the time before your birth is also simple. That something is simple doesn't make it right or wrong.

What on earth are you babbling about?...When I said that I was right about atheism I meant the DEFINITION of atheism, as you would have known if you'd followed the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality