Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM

33,561 posts, read 37,160,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If that be the case, then quit acting like you DO KNOW.

Go away and stop attacking theists as if you know the answer. Just sayin'.
The same goes for you, Mr pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
My position at least has not stated he's a fool or going to Hell. From what I can glean his parents have been described as "free-thinking" and "slightly bohemian" which makes me think they were probably not religious. I thought I'd read they were atheists, or at least agnostic, themselves. For a time he was fairly modest about it, which would fit with being raised atheist if that was indeed the case, but I guess he feels he needs to get more open for whatever reason.

And that's his business, but it doesn't really mean anything greater than that. We're all aware, I hope, that a brilliant physicist can be an atheist. That one is doesn't really prove anything or have any larger significance though.
I have a feeling that this wasn't the only thing Mr. Hawking said - it's just the one that people chose to make a big deal out of. He might not have been trying to make such a huge statement. To me, it just sounded like he was expressing his own conclusions and opinions. Of course, maybe I'm biased since I happen to agree with him.

But I guess I just find it amazing that his words would cause such a huge controversy and have people up in arms. People say that they believe in God and Heaven all the time - it doesn't bother me at all. To have a well known physicist say that he doesn't believe in God and Heaven shouldn't be that big of a deal either. And it definitely shouldn't make people talk about how he's going to burn in hell. Does it make them feel better to say that? Do they feel better about themselves when they condemn someone else to hell? I've never understood that kind of thinking. I don't think - well, they're going to find out that there's no God someday and won't they be sorry!!! when I think about Christians or other religious people. I don't understand why people resort to that. I know you didn't, Thomas - that's one of the things I really like about you! I know you don't think that way.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The same goes for you, Mr pot.

Post of the week? Welcome to Kindergarten.

I guess some of us are past the point of discussion.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
...well, they're going to find out that there's no God someday and won't they be sorry!!!
Actually, they won't. They will just pass into oblivion like everyone else.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 PM

912 posts, read 827,637 times
Alright , do people really believe everything someone....says?

I'm not buying the attention grabber for extra attention, I don't believe in God says Steven H.

Ok, sure you don't... thats why you tend to lean towards, write books on, and complain about. A first class complainer whine, whine. I can't find my God.
# 1 hobby

Don't you mean to say, I'm afraid God does not exist?

Highly intellectual people are what? very perceptive. Yes, so with very perceptive comes what?
very sensitive. Very sensitive is very worried and needs lots of attention and re-assurance.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-17-2011 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Quote:
I have a feeling that this wasn't the only thing Mr. Hawking said - it's just the one that people chose to make a big deal out of. He might not have been trying to make such a huge statement. To me, it just sounded like he was expressing his own conclusions and opinions. Of course, maybe I'm biased since I happen to agree with him.

But I guess I just find it amazing that his words would cause such a huge controversy and have people up in arms. People say that they believe in God and Heaven all the time - it doesn't bother me at all. To have a well known physicist say that he doesn't believe in God and Heaven shouldn't be that big of a deal either. And it definitely shouldn't make people talk about how he's going to burn in hell. Does it make them feel better to say that? Do they feel better about themselves when they condemn someone else to hell? I've never understood that kind of thinking. I don't think - well, they're going to find out that there's no God someday and won't they be sorry!!! when I think about Christians or other religious people. I don't understand why people resort to that. I know you didn't, Thomas - that's one of the things I really like about you! I know you don't think that way.
In fairness to the others I think part of the hostility, on the first page or so, is the tone of the OP and where the thread started. This "RedJacket" person did the first post with, "Religion has made many shysters very rich. Affinity scams are a big and profitable business" which seems a bit provocative a thing to say at the Christian board as that's where s/he put it. It was later moved, but it does kind of feel like an attempt at "proselytism" which is supposed to be banned on the atheist equivalent to the Christian board. Not that this really justifies the hostility, and condemning people to Hell is actually a sin I believe, but it does explain a bit of the over-the-top reaction. The initial poster at least seemed to be trying to "use Hawking as a weapon."

If I started a thread at "Atheism and Agnosticism" with a pro-deity statement by the late Martin Gardner that would, understandably I think, get some criticism. (I picked Martin Gardner as he called himself a "philosophical theist", sometimes classed as deist, who was generally a skeptic and who believed in "A God" rather than the God of any specific religion. So even though he's dead he's one the closest to getting just the God/No-God issue rather than a specific religion.) None would have said he was damned, obviously, but possibly someone would have called him a fool. I could at least see it.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 AM

33,561 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:

Post of the week? Welcome to Kindergarten.

I guess some of us are past the point of discussion.
Your post contained exactly what you were chastising mikeblnnlb about. You are always claiming to KNOW things you cannot possibly know...Mike's response of I don't know is at least honest.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 AM

488 posts, read 1,252,112 times
Quote:
they're going to find out that there's no God someday and won't they be sorry!!!
You're going to find out that there is a God in heaven! everyone will! if you are fortunate enough to repent in your life before you die, it will be a wonderful experience for you! if you do not repent before you leave this life, well, you will be sorry! - just as those who died thinking there was no God... so, yes, every single one of you will know He exists someday (hopefully before you leave), no doubt! what matters is, will you die as an unbeliever or a born-again christian!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
You're going to find out that there is a God in heaven! everyone will! if you are fortunate enough to repent in your life before you die, it will be a wonderful experience for you! if you do not repent before you leave this life, well, you will be sorry! - just as those who died thinking there was no God... so, yes, every single one of you will know He exists someday (hopefully before you leave), no doubt! what matters is, will you die as an unbeliever or a born-again christian!
I bet it will be fun for all you saved people to sit around in heaven and watch all us lost people jumping around on hot coals and stuff.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times
Quote:
If that be the case, then quit acting like you DO KNOW.

Go away and stop attacking theists as if you know the answer. Just sayin'.

Things I don't know: The origin of the universe, The origin of life, Where Jimmy Hoffa is buried and why the people of Minnesota would elect Michele Bachman.

Things I do know: That a god is not necessary to explain the first two above. That Noah lived to be 900 years old if he existed at all. That a global flood never happened. That Jesus did not return to life after being dead for three days. That the earth is older than 6,000 years old. And that we evolved from lower life forms over time.

I don't attack theists I attack theist's moronic ideas.

Let me point out the difference between many atheists and many theists.
While many atheists will admit that they could be wrong and a higher power could possibly exist, however unlikely. (me included) Most theists will never admit that god may not exist. Because to do so would erode the foundations of faith.

Last edited by mikebnllnb; 05-17-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality