Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Please also consider that Christians are specifically assigned to tell people what is required of a Christian in order for the person to have the necessary knowledge to gain eternal life.

In short, these are Christian duties that cannot be ignored for the sake of being perceived as verbal harassments. As for it being a Christian's business, unfortunately for those who are living in certain ways we are told that it is a Christian's business to inform others concerning God 's viewpoint in relation to such behaviors.

So the issue boils down to whether a Christian heeds the God-assigned duty or instead listens to the harassment complaints whenever he does.

BTW
Neither am I in agreement with shouting at people and calling them the spawn of the devil in the manner that you just described. However, there definitely is behavior in the Bible that did lead Jesus to call the persons involved children of Satan because they were doing Satan's will. But that would apply to heterosexuals as well whenever they choose to behave in a sinful unrepentant way. So I suppose that they too can claim verbal harassment.
Quote:
Loving neighbor as self demands that we show concern for other people's behavior because behavior can lead to perdition and we are supposed to be concerned about the eternal welfare of our fellow man and not just stand by smiling as he ruins himself. So yes, you do have a right to feel unconcern if that is your choice. But as a Christian you would have the duty to feel concern. Otherwise you miss the whole point of loving neighbor as self and become the clashing cymbal referred to by Paul.
Quote:
Since the rest of your post is merely a droning about things I don't believe, views I don't hold, and attitudes I have never claimed, I won't respond to it. Especially since I already have touched on those points on this thread and you INSIST on misrepresenting what I say. Why? Beats me! Maybe to annoy?
Bye!
My post to you was addressing the first two posts where you seem to think that it is your duty to point out what you believe to be sin in the lives of others. You also seem to have quite problem with homosexuality. I do not see things the same way that you do. Much of this is because I'm not religious. My moral compass does not come from the Bible. My comments to you were in regards to these things. These were the attitudes that I was addressing. If you do not feel that I am accurately understanding your intentions and beliefs - then your posts are not clearly expressing how you feel.

However, you seem to be incapable of having a civilized conversation with anyone and instead resort to insults and name calling - although you keep accusing others of doing this and do not seem to see it in your own posts. I find it baffling but to each their own. Honestly, I don't really enjoy engaging in debates or conversations of this sort. I always try to stay respectful and polite - which is why I get along with almost everyone on this forum. I will drone to you no more. Have a nice day!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 PM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
BTW
There are persons who respond to threads in a belligerent rude way. Then they sit back waiting for the effects of their rude approach so they can point accusatory fingers. Of course the provocation isn't mentioned. Just the reaction. What such individuals fail to see is that Christians asre human beings just like everyone else and will react to rudeness by losing a certain measure of patience sometimes. That of course will be reflected in the way they respond. It doesn't make them less Christian. It only shows that they are as human as everyone else. But since such reactions are sought with a passion by the atheist, agnostic, or anti-biblical anti-Christianity provokers on their jihads, then a Christian might simply decide to distance himself for a bit in order to have a little respite.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
What happened to turning the other cheek? (I think that only refers to the ones on your face, by the way.) I try not to make Christians angry by being insulting, although it is difficult at times.

As an agnostic atheist, I resent your misuse of the term "jihad". A holy war in Allah's name is not what I have in mind. I have good friends who are Christian, BTW.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 PM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
Quote:
What happened to turning the other cheek? (I think that only refers to the ones on your face, by the way.) I try not to make Christians angry by being insulting, although it is difficult at times.

As an agnostic atheist, I resent your misuse of the term "jihad". A holy war in Allah's name is not what I have in mind. I have good friends who are Christian, BTW.
Turning the other cheek means giving people various chances. Unfortunately the turning of cheek is often interpreted as weakness or else angers the attacker further because he has failed in his attempt to provoke. So the next attempt is intensified. Now, some Christians have the health and temperament which makes it easy for them to deal with such constant provocatve belligerent feedback. Others suffer from heart problems or high blood pressure or other ailments or are of advanced age and cannot afford to expose themselves to that kind of stimuli for too long. As the Bible says, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

bTW
About the term jihad, do you know that the last time I used that term on this forum the atheist person admitted that he was indeed on a jihad against religion? On other forums they openly admit that their mission is to weaken religion as much as possible because they consider religion a vice and harmful to society. In any case if indeed it offended you I apologize.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Radrook
Quote:
Turning the other cheek means giving people various chances.
So I gather that you believe that pacifism and turning the other cheek are 2 entirely different things because a pacifist does more than give people various chances.
The way you explain it is that after having given a person various chances to do whatever it is that you want him to do it then is perfectly all right to whoop his ***** if he still doesn't obeys?

Heck, using your logic even the Inquisition turned the other cheek, provided they didn't start with torture.
I'm no expert on the Inquisition but I believe they started with a normal interrogation before they tortured their victims.
Not because the Inquisition has a kind heart, but because this way they can absolve themselves by blaming the victim for forcing their hand to use torture on them.
Evil people who believe themselves to be on the side of the angels always blame others and never take responsibility for their actions.
And they always believe that they were just following God's will (or some other higher authority).

I guess Martin Luther King did not just turned the other cheek because like Jesus and Ghandi he used non-violent resistance to fight for equal rights for his people.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefluffybunny View Post
This:

Look at it this way.

Let's say you know a way a person can have a better life. You have it yourself. You truly, honestly, whole heartedly, BELIEVE IT. You have an answer, and they don't. Something they're doing bars them from this better life in your mind. Again, you really BELIEVE it. What kind of prick would you have to be to not tell them what you believe they can do different to have this better life?

Yes, there are plenty of pharisees and hypocrites out there who have a self righteous condemning view and chastise others to take out some form of bitterness, but we can't deny there are people out there also with nothing but the best of intentions, even if they might not jive with your viewpoint. I'm not particularly religious, but I will never hold that against someone who is. I think our country is too quick to assume the worst nowadays and too reluctant to discuss motivation and too quick to assign motivation based on our own preconceptions and it serves nobody.
When it comes to gay people, fundamentalists telling them that they need to "pray away the gay" because otherwise they are abominations who will burn in hell....is not my idea of "love" or "concern".

It's plain old willfull ignorance, bigotry .....and harrassment.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Amen! Unfortunately they seem to find that concept too deep or maybe unacceptable because then they can't feel persecuted and claim martyrdom.
When used against gay people, it's just a cowardly, passive aggressive phrase used by people to try to disguise their prejudice under the skirts of their version of god. Nothing "deep" about it. Nothing Biblical about it either.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,110,339 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. Nowhere are Christians told to harass or physically assault homosexuals or anyone else who chooses to live in an unchristian manner. The only obligation a Christian has is to tell others about Christ's Ransom sacrifice and its requirements and leave the decision of acceptance or rejection to each individual.

Anything beyond that which involves physical attacks and harassments is definitely not scripturally approved. In fact,physically attacking or harassing homosexuals can cause Christian to lose God's approval and place his salvation in jeapardy since it involves the hubris of going beyond what we are told to do.

1 Corinthians 4:6
"Do not go beyond what is written."
OC.org

Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I think I'd better clarify something. After all it's only fair. I have a very low tolerance level for posts that are designed to heckle, jeckle, insult, snide, chant, or drone. I respond to such by simply using my ignore option. It keeps my screen clear of such unnecessaries. So if indeed that is your modus operandi for whatever reason then I guess that would signal a termination of our communication. Of course you will be able to continue in the same mode. The only difference is that I won't see or read the droning, chanting, accusations, snides or whatever and respond. Which is really of no importanc since such a modus operandi really isn't seeking discussion anyway.

Peace!
So wait.... you put yourself on ignore?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
I am not fine with verbal harassment of anybody for whatever a person chooses to believe. But please consider that anyone who is behaving in any manner can claim verbal harassment whenever the person's behavior is explained in the light of the Bible.

Please also consider that Christians are specifically assigned to tell people what is required of a Christian in order for the person to have the necessary knowledge to gain eternal life.

In short, these are Christian duties that cannot be ignored for the sake of being perceived as verbal harassments. As for it being a Christian's business, unfortunately for those who are living in certain ways we are told that it is a Christian's business to inform others concerning God 's viewpoint in relation to such behaviors.

So the issue boils down to whether a Christian heeds the God-assigned duty or instead listens to the harassment complaints whenever he does.

When the Apostles were ordered to stop heeding Jesus's command to preach and teach by those who disagreed with their message and who felt harassed by it, the Apostles responded in the following way:

BTW
Neither am I in agreement with shouting at people and calling them the spawn of the devil in the manner that you just described. However, there definitely is behavior in the Bible that did lead Jesus to call the persons involved children of Satan because they were doing Satan's will. But that would apply to heterosexuals as well whenever they choose to behave in a sinful unrepentant way. So I suppose that they too can claim verbal harassment.
You're last sentence told me everything I need to know.

Here's one for you>>>>>

"Judge not lest ye be judged yourself".........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.