Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,785 times

Advertisements

This is not a debate about if it's possible, or if he existed.

From a discussion in another thread, I asked myself this question. Lets say for arguments sake, we find 100% no questions asked proof that JC was a black man; Or lets say middle-eastern as I think this is possible also.

Would you ask your church to change the Altar to match what we now know is true? Would you change churches if yours refused to change. Would you (likely more so if you're white, or any ethnicity I suppose) feel uncomfortable or be against changing your church and praying before a black (or middle-eastern) JC? I'm curious about people's answers though I suspect most will say it's no biggie, but likely would be a little more reserved IRL if it happened. I'm curious how many people can be truly honest here? I would see it being a much larger culture shock then I suspect some are going to try to make it.

Last edited by Jabronie; 05-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Added another angle on it

Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post

From a discussion in another thread, I asked myself this question. Lets say for arguments sake, we find 100% no questions asked proof that JC was a black man; Or lets say middle-eastern as I think this is possible also.

Would you ask your church to change the Altar to match what we now know is true? Would you change churches if yours refused to change. Would you (likely more so if you're white, or any ethnicity I suppose) feel uncomfortable or be against changing your church and praying before a black (or middle-eastern) JC? I'm curious about people's answers though I suspect most will say it's no biggie, but likely would be a little more reserved IRL if it happened. I'm curious how many people can be truly honest here? I would see it being a much larger culture shock then I suspect some are going to try to make it.

Jesus was a Jewish man who was from the middle east.............
Yes he had darker skin............
No, he was not G-d..........

The question is just strange.........

Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The question is just strange.........
I said "pray before" not "pray to".

And you danced around answering it. Which I take as you being uncomfortable with how you feel about it? I'll agree it's an odd one, but I think this question will make people really think for a second if you answer it honestly.

If this was found out and your church changed to reflect 'truth', would you leave to one that reflected 'tradition'?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:

How black are we talking here? Brown? Dark Brown? Taupe? What about sandlewood? Could we maybe get a sherwin williams paint chart so we can make an informed decision? Is this with him being tanned a bit or maybe more during winter months?

Honestly, you are insinuating that whites are more racist than other groups (Ha, have I got news for you there....) and that most whites wouldn't even like seeing Jesus darker than our own skin color.

You might have a point there us racist whites like to keep a white Jesus hanging up because minorities are less likely to steal from the collection plate with a white Jesus watching them. (I mean as long as we are making racist observations I thought this one would go along nicely with the tone of your thread.)

Seriously, your comments are racist. Go away.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Or lets say middle-eastern as I think this is possible also.
"Possible"??? Ummmm.... how can I put this?? The mythical character called Jesus of the Bible stories was born in the Middle-East so it's not 'possible' he was dark skinned, it's certain!! I don't think you'd find many people (at least not ones that possess a functioning brain cell) that believe he was the white, blond haired Arian as depicted by the Church.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
FYI I'm as white as they come. I think I hit a soft spot.
Oops, hit quote not edit :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"Possible"??? Ummmm.... how can I put this?? The mythical character called Jesus of the Bible stories was born in the Middle-East so it's not 'possible', it's certain!! I don't think you'd find many people (at least not ones that possess a functioning brain cell) that believe he was the white, blond haired Arian depicted by the Church.
So why does no one, and I mean, no one, attempt to a change to reflect it? Or even discuss it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seriously, your comments are racist. Go away.
I'm being called a racists, against whites, as a white, because I purpose a question that makes you uncomfortable with how you feel about it. I'm not the one with hang ups on the issue.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
So why does no one, and I mean, no one, attempt to a change to reflect it? Or even discuss it?
I suspect that most people don't find it important.

Quote:
I'm being called a racists, against whites, as a white, because I purpose a question that makes them uncomfortable with how they feel about it.
Why would people feel uncomfortable about it? Only a lunatic would think that someone born in the Middle-East of Middle Eastern parentage would turn out to be a blond-haired, white-skinned Scandinavian lookalike.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 AM

118 posts, read 111,228 times
Quote:

Hi Jabronie -

My first impression is that the question points to something you are sincerely pondering, and so I will answer seriously, and not rudely.

If we hold to what the historical tradition tells us (not just Jewish texts, but also outside historical accounts) they all, as far as I know, point to Jesus being born and raised as an Israelite, descended down from the genealogy of King David. All indications from reputable scholars point to Jesus being... well... simply being of Middle Eastern origin. I cringe when I see the pictures of the blond hair blue eyed Jesus because it simply does not jive with history. Jesus would have looked very similar to someone from Palestine, Iraq, Iran, etc.

Now to address the other part of your question... I would kneel to a Jesus of African heritage just as much as I would to Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. One's ethnicity is sacred, and I dare not attack it or think any less of it. As such, no matter the skin color of Jesus, he is at the very center of my belief system, and my worldview rises or falls based entirely on his claims. In addition to this, anyone who would not be indifferent to the skin color of Jesus is missing the very core of his teachings and thus needs to revaluate exactly why he or she believes in Jesus.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,422 times
Quote:

It wouldn't matter what color He was, I'd still pray to God and not Jesus since God is my creator.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM

869 posts, read 971,991 times
Please forgive me but I can only imagine certain Americans asking such a question based on common cultural color-obsessed socialization..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality