Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM

912 posts, read 827,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
This is not a debate about if it's possible, or if he existed.

From a discussion in another thread, I asked myself this question. Lets say for arguments sake, we find 100% no questions asked proof that JC was a black man; Or lets say middle-eastern as I think this is possible also.

Would you ask your church to change the Altar to match what we now know is true? Would you change churches if yours refused to change. Would you (likely more so if you're white, or any ethnicity I suppose) feel uncomfortable or be against changing your church and praying before a black (or middle-eastern) JC? I'm curious about people's answers though I suspect most will say it's no biggie, but likely would be a little more reserved IRL if it happened. I'm curious how many people can be truly honest here? I would see it being a much larger culture shock then I suspect some are going to try to make it.

You are being racist.

Racism is on your mind. You are searching to ratify an active racist platform. In this you are suggesting that racism is alive within society.

We are asked to consider a racist comprehension within our minds.

You are intentionally offering a potentiality to racism, in this exploration.

By virtue of your assumed ability to reason by ourselves...
you are suggesting by offer in potentiality that there would be "reason for racism"

If you are suggesting there is "reason" for racism, there is only three
possibilities...

1) you are racist 2) You are afraid you are racist 3)you would like to stimulate racism by virtue cause, in support of logically evidenced reason

The fabrication of a story unfolds an extreme need to express one of the three above possibilities.

In other words talking about racism(public) excluding a concrete reason, or looking for it is racist. All it does is suggest a reason for it....throwing MORE logs into a finished(hopefully by now) fire. Like scratching at a healing or healed rash.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 05-27-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Again, I said "pray before" not "pray to". You are inferring it does not matter only because you pray to God, and not JC; So skin color would matter in your case? Though I'm pretty much 100% sure I'm reading you wrong as not many would actually admit they don't like the idea.
No, skin color is of no relevence. It wouldn't matter if He were red, yellow, black, white, indigo, violet, orange or green. I also wouldn't pray before Him either. I would only pray before God.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
yeah cuz he's still Jesus http://thankyoubasedgod.com/forum/images/smilies/currensy.png (broken link)

Old 05-27-2011, 02:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Of course.

Why wouldn't you?

Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
My Mom was going to paint her statue of Mother Mary, but waited because all she had was pinkish "white people" color. She waited until she got something more "olive" or brown. And my mother is very white, Dutch/Belgian ancestry going back to the Napoleonic Wars. Possibly some German and English.

When I looked into it though I don't think portraying Jesus as white was always or necessarily racist. If you were in fifteenth century Germany you're not going to have much access to Middle Eastern Jews. Granted they had some access to Jewish people so their Antisemitism did play a role in the depictions of Jesus and the Apostles, but I think even if they hadn't been antisemitic I think few Jewish people would have been eager to be art models for Jesus.

Chinese depictions of Jesus sometimes make him look Chinese and so forth. Still I would prefer Jesus be depicted as much like a Middle-Eastern Jew as possible.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
This is not a debate about if it's possible, or if he existed.

From a discussion in another thread, I asked myself this question. Lets say for arguments sake, we find 100% no questions asked proof that JC was a black man; Or lets say middle-eastern as I think this is possible also.

Would you ask your church to change the Altar to match what we now know is true? Would you change churches if yours refused to change. Would you (likely more so if you're white, or any ethnicity I suppose) feel uncomfortable or be against changing your church and praying before a black (or middle-eastern) JC? I'm curious about people's answers though I suspect most will say it's no biggie, but likely would be a little more reserved IRL if it happened. I'm curious how many people can be truly honest here? I would see it being a much larger culture shock then I suspect some are going to try to make it.

My question to you, what difference would it make about the color of his skin, if you believe the words that he spoke and you believe that he was your savior, then why should the color of his skin make any difference. It doesn't change the words or their meaning.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
I said "pray before" not "pray to".

And you danced around answering it. Which I take as you being uncomfortable with how you feel about it? I'll agree it's an odd one, but I think this question will make people really think for a second if you answer it honestly.

If this was found out and your church changed to reflect 'truth', would you leave to one that reflected 'tradition'?

I am not in the least bit uncomfortable..... I also am not Christian so I could care less what color he was... He is not G-d...

I just have no patience for stupid questions...

Who cares what his race is????

G-d does not have a race.....

Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM

76 posts, read 76,813 times
The way you worded the question was largely racist. It puts forth the suggestion that if he was anything but the stereotypical white boy Jesus portrayal he would be looked at in a different way. I think it is likely that the original portrayal of Jesus was from a racist-styled viewpoint. The Europeans created a portrayal of Jesus that looked like them, enforcing their belief that the white race was best. The reason that portrayal of Jesus around could be from lingering racism, or just laziness. To a real Christian it shouldn't matter what race Jesus was. If you can prove to me that god is real and his son Jesus was my way into heaven I would kneel even if he looked like a member of the blue man group.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
jusus was not had darker skin ( return to my post )

and the middle east people have White , brown , dark, red skins, have no One color
I would think that the simplest and most expedient answer to the OP's question would be I would kneel and pray before Jesus no mater what color or race he might be. The fact that most responses find in necessary to run around such a simple question is more than telling.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would think that the simplest and most expedient answer to the OP's question would be I would kneel and pray before Jesus no mater what color or race he might be. The fact that most responses find in necessary to run around such a simple question is more than telling.
true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.