Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,389,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post
We all get too caught up in religion. Why let it run our lives if there is no definitive proof that there is something beyond this life (I'm sorry to offend, but knowing God is in your heart is not definitive proof)?
It may not be definitive proof to you, but true Christians know that it's definitive proof for themselves. I don't expect to prove anything to anyone.

Quote:
After learning more about atheism, I have much respect for atheists mainly because for the most part they do not judge others.
Sorry, I'll have to disagree. Atheists have a human nature just like everyone else, and part of that nature is to evaluate information presented and pass judgment on it. I've seen many atheists making statements that are perceived as judgmental.

Quote:
I believe that we should all take a little something from the athiests and live for today, live for life and not the afterlife and stop judging others based on our beliefs, because most likely those are not their beliefs.
As a Christian, I'm commanded to live for today because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. Believe me, I enjoy life and so do most of the Christians I know. However, I'm also encouraged to run a race and press on for the prize. Personally, I see no harm in looking forward to an afterlife.

The Bible admonishes Christians not to judge the world. (We are, however, told to judge those within the church.) I don't expect the world to follow the dictates of Christianity because it is not a religion for the world (although it is open any who wish to receive it). That does not mean, however, that Christianity doesn't have certain tenets/practices that would benefit the world.

Quote:
Taking ideas from others isn't taking away from your faith, it's adding to it.
This, of course, depends on the idea. Not all ideas are beneficial. There are many ideas I embrace, but if they run counter to Christian Scripture, I will reject them. Others are free to embrace any ideas they want.

Quote:
Becoming a more cultural and openminded person will build character.
I will embrace the areas of culture that I feel are beneficial.

I hope I'm never so open minded that my brains fall out!

Quote:
Are there any challenges that you have that aren't completely onesided?
My challenge would be for each of us to really listen to what others say without putting words into their mouths. I largely see people spouting their preconceived notions of what others believe and how they act rather than actually listening to what they say and observing how they act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
I don't think you'll find that a lot of atheists have problems with the person that believes in God. I think you'll find that atheists have a problem with the people that become fanatical about their religion and must try to convert everyone. It seems that the western religions are notorious for this. As someone else mentioned, there are atheists who become fanatical about their views and I think that is true for any strong belief, not just with religion, but politics too. But, suffice to say that, I have yet to hear about an atheist blowing up a church or an anti-abortion rally. Nor have I ever had an atheist knock on my door to explain why I shouldn't believe in God. I've never seen an atheist martyr themself for their cause and I don't see that many atheist bumper stickers (although I'm sure they're out there). You don't hear in the news "Atheist molested young children during experiment". You also don't hear "Prominent atheist found with male prostitute high on crystal meth".

I think that other than the overwhelmingly growing evidence against god (yes I understand the religious find that objectionable), the growing amount of incidences that the religious seem to have doesn't do anything to help their cause in our eyes. It's not like we set out to disqualify religion. I think it's safe to say that we set out for people to think in logical terms such as the impossibilities of Noah's Ark or that the Earth is indeed older than 6000 years.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,497,841 times
So you are "challenging" Christians to live without Christ. It is not possibe.

Dawn

Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
So you are "challenging" Christians to live without Christ. It is not possibe.

Dawn
<Bangs Head in Frustration> That's not what I'm trying to say, forget it, I already see where this is headed I've been down this road about 10 million times before and I have come to the realization that people will not even conceive of the notion that ridiculous stories such as Noah's Ark aren't true. I guess I just don't understand.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,497,841 times
I was responding to the OP, not to you. I just went back and read your post. You are certainly entitled to believe whatever you want.

Peace,

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
<Bangs Head in Frustration> That's not what I'm trying to say, forget it, I already see where this is headed I've been down this road about 10 million times before and I have come to the realization that people will not even conceive of the notion that ridiculous stories such as Noah's Ark aren't true. I guess I just don't understand.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I was responding to the OP, not to you. I just went back and read your post. You are certainly entitled to believe whatever you want.

Peace,

Dawn
Oh ok. I guess it was just the timing of our posts that made me think you were responding to me. Sorry for the confusion

Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM

73 posts, read 143,661 times
I guess no one understood my post.

It wasn't a bash on Christianity at all, and it wasn't even based towards Christians, I just said God in that one statement because I could see all the responses saying "I know God is in my heart".

My point is, live for today, not for death. What you do in life is more important than the possibility of an afterlife.. because it's possible that this is all we've got. I'm asking you to open your minds and look into other people minds, see what they see to become less bogged down by your beliefs. I'm sorry if it's offensive, but by this simple challenge, half of you jumped on me thinking I was telling you there was no God. God will not punish you for accepting others beliefs, becoming more tolerant. And the reason I said that "Atheists do not judge others" wasn't based on the person, it was based on their religious side. I don't see many atheists telling Jews or Muslims OR Christians that their wrong for believing what they believe, it's an observation.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:08 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,913,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post
I guess no one understood my post.

It wasn't a bash on Christianity at all, and it wasn't even based towards Christians, I just said God in that one statement because I could see all the responses saying "I know God is in my heart".

My point is, live for today, not for death. What you do in life is more important than the possibility of an afterlife.. because it's possible that this is all we've got. I'm asking you to open your minds and look into other people minds, see what they see to become less bogged down by your beliefs. I'm sorry if it's offensive, but by this simple challenge, half of you jumped on me thinking I was telling you there was no God. God will not punish you for accepting others beliefs, becoming more tolerant. And the reason I said that "Atheists do not judge others" wasn't based on the person, it was based on their religious side. I don't see many atheists telling Jews or Muslims OR Christians that their wrong for believing what they believe, it's an observation.
What you don't understand about Christianity is that what you are asking is impossible. Not the tolerance part, but the "live for today not for death" because we are specifically told that we are to take up our cross daily and follow Christ...not our own desires. It doesn't bog us down...it frees us to actually care for others with sincerity not from obligation or a desire to "get something" in return. When a Christian says that X is not right according to their beliefs it is not a judgement on others but a personal belief. I am not offended when a Jew tells me Jesus was not God. I don't consider him/her to be intolerant of me, I know that is their beliefs. I don't expect them to change their way of thinking to be more acceptable (tolerant) to me! Their beliefs are their beliefs. That is what freedom of religion is all about.

If someone is judging another because of the "wrong" in their lives then that is "wrong" but I don't think that is something that happens exclusively in the religious sect.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times
I think staceface is trying to show that there are many Christians feel that the Eternal Reward is their aim. Therefore they live good lives with that in mind.

While he feels that people should be able to live their lives as good Christians (or whatever) because it's a good thing to live fruitful productive and happy lives, caring for those around them and just trying to make the most of every blessing that they have, even though there may be nothing at all after death.

If that's what Staceface means, I tend to agree. I listen to some go on and on about how wonderful heaven will be and I wonder if they ever look around and see how wonderful the life here on earth is and how many wonderful blessings they already have. God has already given us so much, and yet, it seems that many of us want even more. I can't quite grasp that Eternal Reward bit. I've got more than I deserve now.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 PM

73 posts, read 143,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think staceface is trying to show that there are many Christians feel that the Eternal Reward is their aim. Therefore they live good lives with that in mind.

While he feels that people should be able to live their lives as good Christians (or whatever) because it's a good thing to live fruitful productive and happy lives, caring for those around them and just trying to make the most of every blessing that they have, even though there may be nothing at all after death.

If that's what Staceface means, I tend to agree. I listen to some go on and on about how wonderful heaven will be and I wonder if they ever look around and see how wonderful the life here on earth is and how many wonderful blessings they already have. God has already given us so much, and yet, it seems that many of us want even more. I can't quite grasp that Eternal Reward bit. I've got more than I deserve now.

Thanks, that was mostly where I was going, but because what I'm saying is obviously not getting the effect I had hoped for, I'll just leave out the rest. You said it well, and thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality