Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM

264 posts, read 695,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
What is everyone's view on Rev. Fred Phelps. I hear he plans on getting a group together to protest the funerals of the victims of the recent Min. bridge tragedy. He has been quoted as saying the bridge incident is "an act of God".

To me this guy is the reason why there is so much hate toward Christians. He is completely out of line in my opinion. This is tasteless, and does not represent what a Christian should be all about. This guy makes my blood boil

"The Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., plans to stage protests at funerals of victims of the 35W bridge collapse to state that God made the bridge fall because he hates America, and especially Minnesota, because of its tolerance of homosexuality"
Well, Sodom and Gomorrah were also very "tolerant," and we know what the Bible says God did about that. Phelps' remarks and the actions of his church are distateful to many Christians, but are his views may be more consistent with the Scriptures than we might want to admit.

Do we know that God isn't angry at Minnesotans for their permissive attitude toward homosexuality? Do we know that God didn't cause the bridge to collapse as an expression of that displeasure? Phelps' assertions can't be disproven any more than they can be proven.

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 08-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: extra space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,207,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
Well, Sodom and Gomorrah were also very "tolerant," and we know what the Bible says God did about that. Phelps' remarks and the actions of his church are distateful to many Christians, but are his views may be more consistent with the Scriptures than we might want to admit.
God loves you! God's going to kill you!!!!

Quote:
Do we know that God isn't angry at Minnesotans for their permissive attitude toward homosexuality? Do we know that God didn't cause the
bridge to collapse as an expression of that displeasure? Phelps' assertions can't be disproven any more than they can be proven.
Luke 9...

52And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him;
53but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem.
54When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, "Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?"
55But Jesus turned and rebuked them, and he said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them."
56and they went to another village.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

264 posts, read 695,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
55But Jesus turned and rebuked them, and he said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them."
I remember when the tsunami hit Asia a few years ago and killed tens of thousands, people were wondering why God didn't do anything to stop it.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,207,457 times
Quote:
I remember when the tsunami hit Asia a few years ago and killed tens of thousands, people were wondering why God didn't do anything to stop it.
Why doesn't God stop all sorts of things? Atrocities happen daily. The world is going through a turbulant period that He has allowed, and I personally believe it is simply all part of a larger learning process for all of creation.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,039,531 times
It seems to me that wanting to rape strangers (Sodom and Gommorah) isn't exactly tolerant. If they had a city-data back then, S&G probably would have gotten some pretty nasty reviews.

Fred Phelps is a windy *****bag. I'm surprised that a post-funeral mob hasn't pounded him yet.

Last edited by Hoosier; 08-10-2007 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM

7,544 posts, read 17,277,534 times
The loudest dissenters always turn out to be guilty. If Fred Phelps doesn't have a f***boy on the downlow, then I'm not a gay man!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,503,092 times
I have heard the name but really don't know him. Sounds like he isn't worth getting to know, although I do like to keep abreast of the latest nut job out there to steer people clear of them.

Dawn

Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,297,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I hope all the athiests are with Mg on this one...
When I read the initial post, my immediate reaction was: "Give me a break!" (As in, tell me this "reverend" guy isn't at it again!)

I may be an atheist, but it is UNIMAGINABLE to me that ANYONE would protest any funeral, let alone funerals for those lost in the bridge disaster in Minnesota. I have no words for how uncontionable that is. I suspect the guy is looking for, (and thrives upon) the publicity that he knows he inevitably receives.

There were actual, real people who lost their lives in that bridge collapse that day. I don't doubt that those they left behind are heart broken and traumatized by their loss. The mere thought of "Reverend" Phelps further traumatizing them by his actions is abhorrant. Somehow I doubt that "protesting" and "funerals" go hand-in-hand for anyone; believers, atheists, or otherwise.

--Because at the end of the day, guys, we're all just human beings. And it is the collective sadness, sorrow, and grief that we all feel for those in Minnesota that deserves attention, NOT Mr. Phelps...

Take gentle care.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 PM

401 posts, read 685,975 times
I am a Christian and I don't like him one bit.
Even on the few times he is right, he voices his opinion in such a way as to ruin the whole message he was trying to teach.
He has less tact than then most children I know, even the youngest child knows that sometimes you just need to sit down and shut up!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,569,334 times
Quote:

Do we know that God isn't angry at Minnesotans for their permissive attitude toward homosexuality? Do we know that God didn't cause the bridge to collapse as an expression of that displeasure? Phelps' assertions can't be disproven any more than they can be proven.
ACK! Cough! *(sorry, my cherry koolaid just went airborne)

Hold the cell phone there. Are you a Phelpsidian in disguise?!

Who said all of Minnesota or even a majority were "tolerant" of gays? Good night. Contrary to Phelpish beliefs, God does not practice random acts of destruction to "punish" innocent people "to express his displeasure".

Here is a less sinister scenario... Could it be this bridge was simply beyond its shelf life and the collapse has nothing to do with personal beliefs/politics, etc... or I am I reaching here?!

or maybe phelpypoo is right and heard a voice saying
"BEHOLD, DON"T MAKE ME SMITE THY BRIDGES, THOU FAIRY-LOVIN VIKING FANS"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality