Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times

Advertisements

We've punted this idiot back and forth on a couple of threads here, so I wanted to get one thread where we could really discuss whether this clown is for real.

I mean, it would make sense to me that if you want to slander God, make a mockery of a belief system, and impact your cause, the best way to do that would be to misrepresent your opposition.

Like if I started killing people in the name of Atheism or advocating for NAMBLA AND gay marriage......you get the idea. No atheists kill for the name of atheism and the gay community is opposed to NAMBLA. But if I claimed one thing, went to an extreme, wouldn't I make a great case for what I 'really' believe?

So my question is, do you really think this Phelps character represents Christianity? Do you guys really buy this GodHatesFags junk and GodLovesDeadSoldiers?

I just watched a video on their site here: Thank God for Dead Soldiers and at the end this poor excuse for a Christian actually chuckles....I don't know if it's poor editing or what...but even she doesn't take herself seriously.

I don't know what info there is on this guy(Phelps) but share your thoughts and/or information.

I think I know (I hope I know) what Christians think of him, but what about you atheists, do you seriously think he's 'for real' as they say???

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/dec/07121806.html

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/aug/05081705.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,606 times
Alpha, I'm not sure if your post is only asking Athiests what they think, but I'm going to respond anyways.

I don't take the group seriously as Christians. I think they are a complete mockery of the faith and should not be able to label anything they do with the name of Jesus Christ. That being said, what they do is very serious. There is a time and a place for freedom of speech, but this is taking things too far. This has been the only time that I can recall when I wished that we didn't have this freedom. I wish something could be done about them. What they are doing to grieving families is atrocious and should be stopped. What is ironic is that they are protesting the very people (soldiers) who fight to protect their freedom to protest.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Alpha, I'm not sure if your post is only asking Athiests what they think, but I'm going to respond anyways.
No, I want everyone's input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I don't take the group seriously as Christians. I think they are a complete mockery of the faith and should not be able to label anything they do with the name of Jesus Christ. That being said, what they do is very serious. There is a time and a place for freedom of speech, but this is taking things too far. This has been the only time that I can recall when I wished that we didn't have this freedom. I wish something could be done about them. What they are doing to grieving families is atrocious and should be stopped. What is ironic is that they are protesting the very people (soldiers) who fight to protect their freedom to protest.
It's just a strange phenomenon to me. And yes, I agree I take what they are doing seriously, I meant do non-believers take them as serious Christians.

Do they see this as what I personally(have no proof) is an attempt by some very unChristian people to defame Christianity.

I also think it's strange that the government hasn't done more. I might just not understand the laws of the land, but surely there is a violation of hate crimes in here somewhere. It's a sad day when this kinda crap has to be tolerated.

Thanks for your post! We agree!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times
I don't think it's an attempt to discredit Christianity. Every philosophy/movement/religion has extremes. They are on the extreme end and thank God there's only a few of them.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:34 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Default The Jesus test...

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
I don't think it's an attempt to discredit Christianity. Every philosophy/movement/religion has extremes. They are on the extreme end and thank God there's only a few of them.
I disagree. Even one of their signs says "Too late to pray"

I don't think you'd find a Christian anywhere that would ever say that.(as well as the other things they say too)

They are so obviously non-Christian to me....

Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
Exactly!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
We've punted this idiot back and forth on a couple of threads here, so I wanted to get one thread where we could really discuss whether this clown is for real.

I mean, it would make sense to me that if you want to slander God, make a mockery of a belief system, and impact your cause, the best way to do that would be to misrepresent your opposition.

Like if I started killing people in the name of Atheism or advocating for NAMBLA AND gay marriage......you get the idea. No atheists kill for the name of atheism and the gay community is opposed to NAMBLA. But if I claimed one thing, went to an extreme, wouldn't I make a great case for what I 'really' believe?

So my question is, do you really think this Phelps character represents Christianity? Do you guys really buy this GodHatesFags junk and GodLovesDeadSoldiers?

I just watched a video on their site here: Thank God for Dead Soldiers and at the end this poor excuse for a Christian actually chuckles....I don't know if it's poor editing or what...but even she doesn't take herself seriously.

I don't know what info there is on this guy(Phelps) but share your thoughts and/or information.

I think I know (I hope I know) what Christians think of him, but what about you atheists, do you seriously think he's 'for real' as they say???

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/dec/07121806.html

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/aug/05081705.html
Not to ask a dumb question but.. did anyone indicate in any of the other posts that they took him seriously?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times
Not Christians, no. They use it as a cover for hate. They are a hate group plain and simple. You suggest a conspiracy to defame Christianity? Why. You think they are uber-liberals with a plan? Hardly. The things they do are extremely hurtful and hateful. It seems as though you find it hard to believe that such hate exists (unless I'm reading your post wrong). Let's not forget the Holocaust, the current situation in Sudan, etc. It exists and this particular hate group will only cease when everyone simply stops paying attention to them.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:05 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
That's an interesting post Alpha. I think I understand exactly what you're getting at. I guess I should call Rev. Phelps and tell him he's taking it a little too far.... it all just started out as a joke, too....

No, I'm only kidding but I see what you mean. You know, I'm no psychologist, but there's something that can be said for what I call "crazy eyes". I'm telling you, every cult leader, and many of the followers, have them. Look at his daughter when she does her interviews. Her eyes are WIDE open. The Heaven's Gate guy had them, Charlie Manson had them, and you'll know what I mean when you see her eyes. I'm really trying hard not to stereotype, but the eyes give it away. I'm telling you, I think they think they are for real. I'm not sure how one gets to that point... Personally... and I'm not saying this "just cause", but I think that Rev. Phelps is a closeted homosexual who despises himself so much for it that he has gotten to this point. That's the only way I can explain it.

That's my take on it. I really don't know how people can become that disillusioned. No, I don't think that is a "Christian" thing. I do think it IS a byproduct of religion which is a byproduct of a belief in God. However, I think that even if they weren't God followers (for sake of conversation), they'd find a reason to be the way they are which is why I don't take this as a necessarily "Christian" thing. It's just a byproduct of religion. Oh... one other question... What if you're wrong and Rev. Phelps is right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality