Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times

Advertisements

They are a hate group hiding under christianity who thrives off of publicity. If you were to picket a funeral of theirs they would be the first ones to sue. Being attorneys they'd probably win. I know I will be pissing on shirleys grave when her funeral is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The pastor of the Independent Fundamental Baptist church I attended in Ft. Smith, AR and still visit when visiting my folks says that Phelps is a clever man who speaks the truth, and that he just has poor taste. Many sermons deal with how homosexuality is society's number one problem and how God is preparing to destroy America for accepting it. People in the church commonly joke (sometimes seriously) about killing homosexuals. I was taught growing up to believe that being gay was a greater sin than murder.

I believe churches like this are more common than people think throughout the deep rural Bible belt. Watching Jesus camp reminded me of my childhood and attending camp every summer, which was exactly like what is depicted in the film.
My pastor preaches blatantly against homosexuality but not to this level. Not to the point that he justifies 911, hurricane katrina, hurricane rita, or the virginia tech massacre.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
He makes a horrible name for Christians across the world.
Sometimes I wonder whether they're just trolling for atheism. It's certainly working.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
With reference to the thread title, that hateful bunch certainly isn't anything to be laughed off.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM

268 posts, read 457,601 times
Maybe they aren't anything to be laughed off, but I have to admit I do laugh at them. Yes, Fred Phelps and his family of nutcases are as serious as cancer, but that doesn't mean they should be taken seriously. They definitely believe what they spew. They're able to recite sections of the bible at will to back up their cuckoo hate speech.

The lawyer mom and her kids used to appear on the Howard Stern show every now and then. It was quite a spectacle - very sad (particularly for the brainwashed kids) yet funny to see them self destruct. Humor is found in the absurd, and the Phelps family is as absurd as it gets. Their sickness is sad when it manifests in ways that hurt grieving people. But they should be dismissed rather than fought, because the fight is what they want.

The person who said Fred Phelps is a closeted gay man is probably on the right track.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
no

Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Freddy Kruger Phelps is really no different than most fundy christian churches, except that WBC has one heck of a poster/sign shop in their basement.

Otherwise, it all about searching the big book of hate for reasons to hate others, and tell them so with the output of their sign shop..

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
no
Best answer I am vaguely astonished that this group of loons get so much attention.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Freddy Kruger Phelps is really no different than most fundy christian churches, except that WBC has one heck of a poster/sign shop in their basement.

Otherwise, it all about searching the big book of hate for reasons to hate others, and tell them so with the output of their sign shop..
I agree. They actually act out their bigotry.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Best answer I am vaguely astonished that this group of loons get so much attention.
Here in America, we have some unique ideas about the performing street arts, AREQUIPA, old soak!

Best Street Performance - YouTube

or...

DYNAMO MAGICIAN IMPOSSIBLE - LEANS BACK MATRIX STYLE - TEARDROP - YouTube

why not?

(NOTE: The best approach, imho, is to down a quart or so of really good Bourbon (yes, my friend, there is such a thing...) and then go out in the Mean Streets and join in. Don't forget to sing along with/at them until they leave in disgust! )

Dog Howling to Music - YouTube

(PS: This approach has NOT yet been tried, btw... They might actually enjoy it, being the loathsome pig-dogs they iz...))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality