Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,874,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Very strange, I've watched part one and two of the series and heard nothing about a suddenly appearing band of 600 humans, or any comment on our genetic diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I too watched the series..P1,2 and 3. And I too never never heard anything about a suddenly appearing band of 600...
What!!! You don't mean that 5150 has been 'lying for Jesus'....again? I'm shocked!!

P.S. Not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
What we learn from this thread is that our evolution- skeptics (did they really trouble to tune into a TV show about evolution?) sat through it until something slipped through the mental screen that fitted in with the Eden theory ..."600 people...Hmm.. Genesis thoughts...Adam an Eve breeding pair IT All Fits Hallelujiah..wait till I tell those skeptics on the Religion board."

But Part 1 and part 2 doesn't mention it? How odd. One would almost suppose that our theist hadn't watched it at all (I thought it was odd that he had) but had just glued a remark he heard about our ancestors being a band of 600 to an evolutionary programme he saw was on and served it up as a suggestion that Eden and thus genesis and thus the Bible and thus God and thus Jesus must all be true. Pretty much the way they leaped with cries of glee on the rather misnamed 'Mitochondrial eve'.

Still, I'll be interested to watch the two programmes.

Littlewitt's preaching we can discard as a waste of posting space.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,897,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Could it be that the 600 started as two? Well why not? Not exactly Darwinian evolution, but how else does "IT" happen.
600 did not start as two. I encourage you to keep studying.

In response, I turn to two different strands of scientific research that completely support each other and discredit the Adam story. The first is DNA evidence. Population DNA is a field that unfortunately is not understood well by the general public. I would like you all to be able to understand the basics of this field. In short, most of our chromosomes were made by shuffling the genes we got from our mother and father. It can be quite difficult to tell which genes came from which parent unless we know a lot about the genetic makeup of both sides of the family.

However, males have a complete Y-chromosome that they got virtually unchanged from their fathers generation after generation. Now occasionally, a DNA sequence in the Y chromosome will develop a mutation and that mutation will be passed on to all of that individual's male descendents. But, that mutation will not be found in all of the other males in a population. New mutations will occur and be present in different ancestral lines. Now, in addition to these mutations occurring, people migrate, so you end up with clusters of people in different parts of the world with high percentages on specific mutations. Since we know the approximate rate of mutations occurring, we can calculate approximately when a mutation occurred and how closely different peoples are related.

In addition, all of us have mitochondrial organelles in our cells that act as power generators for the work the cells do. We all got our mitochodrial DNA virtually unaltered from our mothers. mt-DNA also mutates but at a much slower rate. We know what mutations are present around the world today, and working backwards, we are able to identify our genetic "Adam" and our genetic "Eve".

Now, many Christians believe Adam lived 6,000 years ago. They figured this out by adding up the ages of each link in the extensive genealogies given in the Bible. But, we have been able to calculate that the common male ancestor of every living male lived some 60,000 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa, which means that all humans lived in Africa at least until that time. Unlike his Biblical namesake, this Adam was not the only man alive in this era. Rather, he is unique because he was the only one to have his descendents survive to the present day. It is important to note that Adam does not literally represent the first human. He is the coalescence point of all genetic diversity found in the world's disparate peoples. Adam had human ancestors as well, but we have no genetic evidence of them. To learn more about National Geographic's Genographic project view their online exhibit (https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/...hic/atlas.html )

Genetic Eve never knew Genetic Adam. She lived 143,000 years ago. (BBC News | SCI/TECH | Genetic 'Adam never met Eve' )

Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Shalom...either it's "willful ignorance" or a cup of coffee really does have a higher IQ.
The fact that the narrator was "good with that" indicates that he probably got a healthy pay-check for telling lies.
"It's all good" right?
Cor! That's a grubby smear, even from you, Littlewits.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 AM

33,568 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
What we learn from this thread is that our evolution- skeptics (did they really trouble to tune into a TV show about evolution?) sat through it until something slipped through the mental screen that fitted in with the Eden theory ..."600 people...Hmm.. Genesis thoughts...Adam an Eve breeding pair IT All Fits Hallelujiah..wait till I tell those skeptics on the Religion board."

But Part 1 and part 2 doesn't mention it? How odd. One would almost suppose that our theist hadn't watched it at all (I thought it was odd that he had) but had just glued a remark he heard about our ancestors being a band of 600 to an evolutionary programme he saw was on and served it up as a suggestion that Eden and thus genesis and thus the Bible and thus God and thus Jesus must all be true. Pretty much the way they leaped with cries of glee on the rather misnamed 'Mitochondrial eve'.

Still, I'll be interested to watch the two programmes.

Littlewitt's preaching we can discard as a waste of posting space.
I watched part three last night and the 600 people statement was mentioned after discussing the bottleneck theory, but contrary to what Mr.5150 wrote rather than instantly poofing into existence, what I got was that they were all that remained of a larger population.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 AM

33,568 posts, read 37,182,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Cor! That's a grubby smear, even from you, Littlewits.
Obviously littlewitless has not watched the program.....It might be from satan.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,555,357 times
Quote:
Very strange, I've watched part one and two of the series and heard nothing about a suddenly appearing band of 600 humans, or any comment on our genetic diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I too watched the series..P1,2 and 3. And I too never never heard anything about a suddenly appearing band of 600... As I remember P1 was about becoming human in terms of going from ape like behavior on all 4s to walking on 2 legs...P2 was about becoming human in term of working together, forming tribes as it were and using technology and caring for each other, especially the young. P3 was about the spread of humans vs other species especially Neanderthals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What!!! You don't mean that 5150 has been 'lying for Jesus'....again? I'm shocked!!

P.S. Not really.
I've also watched it, and if Mr. numbers isn't lying for jesus, it must be because he fell asleep in his recliner during the show and dreamed it. Shows like that must really rankle the creationists, soooooooo many facts, soooooooooo much evidence, all in direct conflict with their "poof" myth.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,007,387 times
I watched the show the other night, very interesting. As far as the mention of 600 homo-sapiens, it was suggested that DNA evidence shows that the entire human species as we know it today came from these 600. Not that they just poofed into existance they evolved just like any other species.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,874,037 times
I think you've been rumbled 5150. Lying for Jesus...shame on you. You'll make baby Jesus cry.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I watched part three last night and the 600 people statement was mentioned after discussing the bottleneck theory, but contrary to what Mr.5150 wrote rather than instantly poofing into existence, what I got was that they were all that remained of a larger population.

I wasn't able to get them to load. So it seems he did watch it. I know that drought conditions in Africa is supposed to have reduced the early man to near extinction. Mr 5150 might have been thinking of 600 growing from an original two who did 'pooof' into existence along with everything else around 20,000 BC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality