Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,886,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Was NOVA. A PBS presentation. Had to do with Human evolution. Talked about how it was c. 200,000 BC (now the YEC folk are sturred up-cuz the world dates in their opinion from 4004 BC-OK let's ignore Jerico founded 9000BC) But I digress...

So the PBS guy is talking about how there were three or four Homo-genes species running around in 200K BC. One of which was Homo sapiens-us. By 20,000 BC we're the only species left standing.

What really struck me was that the narrator said two things:

1. Homo sapiens "just appeared" and the fossil and DNA record indicated there we were only a band of 600 of us back in the day. Just 600. Food for thought. That's what science says. We are all decendents of that small group. According to the latest evolutionary science. I'm good with that.

2. Our genetic diversity is way less than any other species on Earth. So says the science boys. I'm good with that.

"Us" just apeared. We were a population of 600 breeding folk in 200KBC and here we are today. This theory was offered without comment by the PBS narrator.

Thoughts
All true tidbits but you still aren't seeing the forest because of the trees.

Homo Sapiens are the one surviving twig of a whole branch of bipedal apes. Just like there are lions, tigers and leopards all in the same world, there were several very similar let separate hairless bipedal apes with big brains running around the planet at the same time.

Evolution cannot be understood as links on a chain. Evolution is more like branches on a tree. THAT is most important perspective humanity has learned from evolutionary theory: We are natural life from this world, evolved through exactly the same processes as all life on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,933,246 times
Quote:
Was NOVA. A PBS presentation. Had to do with Human evolution. Talked about how it was c. 200,000 BC (now the YEC folk are sturred up-cuz the world dates in their opinion from 4004 BC-OK let's ignore Jerico founded 9000BC) But I digress...

So the PBS guy is talking about how there were three or four Homo-genes species running around in 200K BC. One of which was Homo sapiens-us. By 20,000 BC we're the only species left standing.

What really struck me was that the narrator said two things:

1. Homo sapiens "just appeared" and the fossil and DNA record indicated there we were only a band of 600 of us back in the day. Just 600. Food for thought. That's what science says. We are all decendents of that small group. According to the latest evolutionary science. I'm good with that.

2. Our genetic diversity is way less than any other species on Earth. So says the science boys. I'm good with that.

"Us" just apeared. We were a population of 600 breeding folk in 200KBC and here we are today. This theory was offered without comment by the PBS narrator.

Thoughts
I watched part 1 and half of part two. The rest is still on my DVR waiting for me to push the play button. Anyway, from what I seen, it's a very secular program so dont try and fit the facts around your predetermined beliefs, it wont work, What you will see on these three shows is the truth about our origins and how we came to be.

One of the facts I remember was them talkinmg about a small ape clhild who they named Kia {?} something like that. She lived 3 million years ago. Doesn't exactly fit with your 6000 yr. old earth now does it?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,240,079 times
It comes to mind , and many have said it here, that evolution is a mutation and expression of servival...once something changes in the enviroment...the species changes to suite the enviroment...thus evolution is deemed the constant truth of us...coming out of APE or Primate species.

If this is true...why do these species still exist?...if something of a evolutionary change occured to make us out of them....then surely they would have gone extinct like some of the older or newer mutations of Primates they claim occured of us Humans.

Would that not draw out to a conclusion?....if certain homo Xs died off ,leaving Humankind as distinct in evolutionary standing...why are the Primates still here with us?

And what occured in the evolutionary enviroment to cause the evolution or Mutation of primates to human?, and why is it if these Primates still exist?, is evolutionary traights of them not seen now or occuring now ?

Something science cannot answer I would imagine...and it is not known why the evolutionary traight occured or what caused it...and why it is not occuring still....still lingers as unanswered.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM

50,131 posts, read 20,894,600 times
Where the conditions don't change, the species continues unchanged, pretty much.

Answered.

To make it a bit longer, this explains why we still have living fossils - changed from the fossil fossils, but still recognizably the same species.

To make the longer bit longer, it is a misapprehension that everything has to evolve resulting in there being nothing but fully evolved intelligent humans and nothing else. Sorry that ain't the theory.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Where the conditions don't change, the species continues unchanged, pretty much.

Answered.

To make it a bit longer, this explains why we still have living fossils - changed from the fossil fossils, but still recognizably the same species.

To make the longer bit longer, it is a misapprehension that everything has to evolve resulting in there being nothing but fully evolved intelligent humans and nothing else. Sorry that ain't the theory.

Sorry not answered...If in the evolutionary event as theorized by science...out of a branch of primates...Human evolution occured...giving us the capacity to think things out to a greator or lessor degree of intelligence...why is the same root breeding non intelligent primate species?...if Human is a higher evolutionary traight then it would beg to differ that the higher form take root...not the lessor...and in that regard...what ever caused the evolution of that root would in tern cause consitant mutations over time...to the human condition...and or vise versa...having the dna in toe....and it ain't there either way...it does not occur anymore....as far as I know of....oh yes there are still mutations..but humans do not revert back, and or, Primates don't make humans....and the world is changing....where is the evolutionary condition for that change humans are now making of the enviroments?....thus unanswered is the question of why, and or how, and if it is evolution, then why is it not still happening with the same root notes in effect?....and can or should humans evolve to a even greator estate of being or thinking processes?...if evolution is constant due to changing enviroments?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Now that we have unanswered questions, and science supposedly theorizing evolutionary events...Lets branch off to something in reasoning out why Humans become intelligent and or conscious of their estate....being Enviromental....and Change due to X factors.,, and any claim to being intelligent...while polluting those enviromental elementals to which all living things reside in, or are in need of.

If we go scriptural...TEND AND KEEP....would avert the changes...and things would remain constant....but as we are now changing the enviroments on some very basic levels, and to extreme levels in some regards...the enviroments are being changed to suite a need to mutate or evolve...either it is of the flesh (evolution) or it is of the mind (intelligence)...in any event...the reason for the evolution (if it be for intelligence) would be prudent to preserve the natural enviroments and living entities that service it...so we can continue to be Human on it or with it....

Again Scripturally speaking..the God head (intelligence) asks the mind...to multiply the givens....and to tend and keep them...So does this principle apply to any Planet?...if God makes life out of Dead WORLDS?....And if things are going extinct, and polluted beyond health...for $....then what form of intelligence due to our evolution (as Science claims) is in effect, if by polluting the enviroments we pollute ourselves to sickness and death, not multiplying anything of the needed estates or living entities in a more harmonic guesture?....hmmm?...are we intelligent if we pollute and destroy vital elementals?...and if that is the case....it was not an evolutionary process that occured it was a devolutionary event....in essence.

So do we step up to the plate, and start tending and keeping things and eventually multiplying and caring for the whole...or do we subside to extinction by our own handyworks?

I think that is the true step in evolutionary thinking we all have lost track of....and digging up dead bones...doesn't seems to awaken the mind to ask the right questions for the right reasons...and the greator good of all....instead of the selfish self.....and false value we humans put on everything.

Are we intelligent enough to stand up and make a change for the Greator Good of the whole?....

Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM

33,630 posts, read 37,280,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Now that we have unanswered questions, and science supposedly theorizing evolutionary events...Lets branch off to something in reasoning out why Humans become intelligent and or conscious of their estate....being Enviromental....and Change due to X factors.,, and any claim to being intelligent...while polluting those enviromental elementals to which all living things reside in, or are in need of.

If we go scriptural...TEND AND KEEP....would avert the changes...and things would remain constant....but as we are now changing the enviroments on some very basic levels, and to extreme levels in some regards...the enviroments are being changed to suite a need to mutate or evolve...either it is of the flesh (evolution) or it is of the mind (intelligence)...in any event...the reason for the evolution (if it be for intelligence) would be prudent to preserve the natural enviroments and living entities that service it...so we can continue to be Human on it or with it....

Again Scripturally speaking..the God head (intelligence) asks the mind...to multiply the givens....and to tend and keep them...So does this principle apply to any Planet?...if God makes life out of Dead WORLDS?....And if things are going extinct, and polluted beyond health...for $....then what form of intelligence due to our evolution (as Science claims) is in effect, if by polluting the enviroments we pollute ourselves to sickness and death, not multiplying anything of the needed estates or living entities in a more harmonic guesture?....hmmm?...are we intelligent if we pollute and destroy vital elementals?...and if that is the case....it was not an evolutionary process that occured it was a devolutionary event....in essence.

So do we step up to the plate, and start tending and keeping things and eventually multiplying and caring for the whole...or do we subside to extinction by our own handyworks?

I think that is the true step in evolutionary thinking we all have lost track of....and digging up dead bones...doesn't seems to awaken the mind to ask the right questions for the right reasons...and the greator good of all....instead of the selfish self.....and false value we humans put on everything.

Are we intelligent enough to stand up and make a change for the Greator Good of the whole?....
Yes of course, we should stop digging up fossils and trying to figure out our roots, just throw up our hands and say God did it...Why? Is it because discoveries about our human history is destroying the myths that you believe?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM

50,131 posts, read 20,894,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Sorry not answered...If in the evolutionary event as theorized by science...out of a branch of primates...Human evolution occured...giving us the capacity to think things out to a greator or lessor degree of intelligence...why is the same root breeding non intelligent primate species?...if Human is a higher evolutionary traight then it would beg to differ that the higher form take root...not the lessor...and in that regard...what ever caused the evolution of that root would in tern cause consitant mutations over time...to the human condition...and or vise versa...having the dna in toe....and it ain't there either way...it does not occur anymore....as far as I know of....oh yes there are still mutations..but humans do not revert back, and or, Primates don't make humans....and the world is changing....where is the evolutionary condition for that change humans are now making of the enviroments?....thus unanswered is the question of why, and or how, and if it is evolution, then why is it not still happening with the same root notes in effect?....and can or should humans evolve to a even greator estate of being or thinking processes?...if evolution is constant due to changing enviroments?
Yes it is answered whether you agree or not. The mechanism is explained. Why it is not occurring now is a question I can't answer. It would be fine if we found a tribe of apes that can walk upright and use tools...hang on..I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAFwd...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N34F...layer_embedded

give the chimps a half million years and get back to me.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-05-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,600,308 times
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;20741752]
One of the facts I remember was them talkinmg about a small ape clhild who they named Kia {?} something like that. She lived 3 million years ago. Doesn't exactly fit with your 6000 yr. old earth now does it?[/quote]???

Nothing like stereotyping people with whom you disagree. How would you like it if I declared that atheists are just a bunch of amoral folk who have nothing better to do than to act offended when someone wishes them a Merry Christmas.

Just to educate you: less than 10% of Christians (mainly young earth creationists) believe the world is 6000 years old. Heck, Jerico dates back to 11,000 BC

Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,607,104 times
Quote:

Just to educate you: less than 10% of Christians (mainly young earth creationists) believe the world is 6000 years old. Heck, Jerico dates back to 11,000 BC
No, that is just your attempt to sweep the stupidity exhibited by many out of critical view. In reality between 40 - 50% are this stupid.

Lying for Jesus again? Educate yourself before trying to educate others.

Quote:
Between 40-50% of adults in the United States say they believe in Young Earth Creationism, depending on the poll.[8] According to a Gallup poll in December 2010, around 40% of Americans believe in YEC, with 52% among Republicans and 34% among Democrats. The percentage falls quickly as the level of education increases—only 22% of respondents with postgraduate degrees believed compared with 47% of those with a high school education or less
Young Earth creationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Statistics which also scare the hell out of me, we are literately surrounded by stupid people, lots and lots of them.

But note how quickly it tails off when they become more educated. Knowledge the deadly foe of stupid ancient superstitions.

Don't those the deal only in facts annoy the hell out of you when we actually do fact checking and don't take anyone word without question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality